Thinking of buying an Axe-FX II and have some questions

Dieszel

Inspired
Hey everyone, I'm wondering if I could get your opinions on connectivity with the Axe-FX II.

I have a Rivera Hundred Duo Twelve 100W Combo amp with an effects loop and wondering if it would sound good connected to it directly or through the effects loop. I know distortions don't sound good through effects loops but delays and other effects do so I'm kinda skeptical about it. I know a Matrix GT800FX would be killer but that would mean another $1000+ for that and 2x12 cabs.

I'm looking at saving some money but if I have to go that route with a Matrix because my amp won't do it justice, then it's something I'd have to think about with even getting the Axe-FX II.

Any and all opinions, experiences, knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

Peace!

If you want to use your amp with the Axe, the most flexible way to do this is by using the four-cable method (4CM). This will place your Axe both at the input of your amp AND in the loop, and you can easily set up what effects you want at the input of the amp and in the loop :) Have a look at the manual for the Axe, it's all explained very well in there (http://fractalaudio.com/downloads/manuals/axe-fx-2/Axe-Fx_II_Owners_Manual_-_901.pdf)

Check page 21 for a quick diagram of this :)

You could also keep it simple and go Axe output into the effects loop return of your amp. This bypasses the preamp of your Riviera entirely. This is like using the Axe with dedicated power amp and cab, but you need to keep in mind the coloration of the tube amp in your combo.

This seems like it's going to be a complete new learning curve to figure all this out with what's best and that's a lot of money to dish out up front.

There are a lot of things to fiddle around with for sure, but it's not very complicated to get to grips with :) Read the manual and lurk around the forums here for a bit and you'll be good to go in no time at all! About the amps, it's perfectly fine to use it with the one you have, but as you will see many others point out on this forum, the real potential arrives when you use it along with an FRFR system like Matrix etc :) I've been using my Axe with my Stiletto thus far, and a pair of good headphones, and I am very happy with it. But I am getting me some FRFR speakers tomorrow too :)

If there was a Rivera in the AxeFx, do you think you would you sell yours & get the AxeFx?

If not, go with 4CM

You could also keep it simple and go Axe output into the effects loop return of your amp. This bypasses the preamp of your Riviera entirely. This is like using the Axe with dedicated power amp and cab, but you need to keep in mind the coloration of the tube amp in your combo.

totally.....

and then head for a Matrix GT1000FX and cabs or FRFR at a later time

I won't sell my Rivera because I'd keep it as a backup and have a couple of M-Audio powered speakers I could use at home to play through. I could also use my 1970 Super Lead 100 Marshall but I try not to play that too often because it's a collectors item.

I think just getting the unit and fiddling around with it would be a start and think I'd be happy with it. Thanks for y'alls input. Now next question, where could I get some of these badass patches I've been hearing?

I won't sell my Rivera because...

A lot of us here have heard this and said this before... lol... I sold 2x 1972 Marshalls (1987 MK II's) after the Axe FX II and 2 vintage Marshall cabs. I don't miss them other than how cool they looked. :p

... definitely use the "return" of the loop as stated by a couple members already.

lol swass, I'm sure. I've had vintage gear that I paid less than $100 for that I've gotten over $1500 so I'm not a hoarder type that I would have a problem selling things. I paid $800 for the Marshall and 4x12 cab with original Greenbacks in there and know I could get $5K easily and know I could get that any day, just don't think today is that any day hahaha... I just ordered my Axe-FX II and I can't wait to get it and have fun fiddling with it. My son will be extremely happy when he see's it lol... He has a Les Paul in his room at all times LOL...

Dieszel said:
a couple of M-Audio powered speakers I could use at home

Please sell those if you already have them. Get a pair of Equator D5's for the same price- they're better than than Yamaha's.

How could I get some of these badass patches I've been hearing?

AxeChange

The only reason I would use the 4 cable method or in any way involve the preamp section of your Rivera is if that is your favorite preamp in the world, YOUR preamp, Your tone, the sound you can't live without and that exists in your head when you imagine the perfect sounding guitar. If its not- then don't use 4 cable method you're missing out on better preamps and tones.

BUT if the Rivera is your sound- and the only sound you want 4 cable it up

I havn't found the Axe Fx II takes the place of any of my tube amps, but it certainly has alot of real estate of it's own I can't live without.

4CM for sure if you want to have access to the Rivera along with the Axe's other amp models. Just make sure you don't have an Amp model & the loop engaged in series in the same patch - unless that's your thing :). I previously had this setup with another modeller and my Mark V, but now have gone FRFR due to the Axe's excellent Mark models - Way easier and more flexible with Cab/MIc models, IRs, etc.

I am not familiar with the Rivera, but if you can find a model that is close, you can also Amp match it and then just go into the effect return as stated above. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom