Thinking aloud... tone match via preamp out on amp?

erockomania

Experienced
Forgive me if this is a silly question, but is it possible to Tonematch an amp (without power amp and cab of course) via the preamp out into the AxeFx?

I could be a total idiot by asking this as I may have missed something obvious, but it's been a long day, lol

Yes. The Amp block will still model the power amp behavior but your tone match will only be the preamp tone. There's plenty of power amp parameters in the Amp block if your preamp only Tone Match needs a little something more. You can also use the Direct Out found on many power attenuators to Tone Match the preamp and power amp.

Tone Matching the preamp or pre/power amp allows you to get the tone of your amp and still let you use your Tone Match with all the IR's in the Axe which is pretty cool being able to use different cabs with your amp. I used this approach with my old Boogie (Tone Matched the Slave Out) and am getting my most inspiring tone in decades - the Tone Match is taking the tone of my favorite amp to places the amp itself can't go!

awesome to hear!!! I'm going to try it. It seems that would be the best way to match the preamp tone specifically... avoid the mic altogether. I'm going to try this!

I use my axe with poweramp sims off. Before the quick rod model I tone matched a friends quick rod preamp to use in my setup. Worked beautifully.

Back
Top Bottom