Thinking about starting a pedal demo Youtube Channel...

So: A big part of doing this is that I wanted it to be quick and easy to throw a video together. Because oddly enough I have this thing called a full-time job that I intend to keep.

I've set up a couple of templates, thrown a few videos together to see how long it all takes and on average, it takes me about 30-45 minutes to put one of these videos together.

So the feedback I'm after is focused on:

#1) Are the videos good pedal demonstrations?
#2) What do you think of the formula\obvious template I'm using?
#3) Is this something worthwhile pursuing?
#4) Literally any other comments are good.

Feel free to be honest with everything as it's the only way I'll learn. I'd like to start off doing things "right" (hence spending a fair bit of time on the template). Of course if this experiment hasn't worked in execution, then I'd like to know NOW before I find out that it didn't really work until much later! It took a bit of work to put these videos together, but hey, sometimes you've gotta commit in order to evaluate things properly :)

So here's 5 videos that I put together to test out the templates, the formula and of course the pedals. Feedback\thoughts are appreciated :)

Boss DS-1:

Suhr Riot:

Electric Mistress:

JHS Muffuletta:

TS-808:

I just watched the DS-1 video all the way through. Some comments:

• In the first part of the video, it says "bridge pickup" when the selector shows neck pickup
  • At the end of the video, it says "neck pickup rolled off" when the selector shows bridge pickup
  • It would be great to show both single coil and humbucker guitars
  • It would be great to see a variety of settings on the pedal - it seems like you used a setting that is "good to you", but obviously there are several knobs with some degree of range
  • Overall, I think the concept is ok... If you added the things I mentioned the video would likely be 3-4 times longer

Reactions: H13
I didn't read all the posts but I think you should start your YouTube channel, you will know what does and doesn't work as you go along! Do what you love and the money will follow!

I just watched the DS-1 video all the way through. Some comments:

• In the first part of the video, it says "bridge pickup" when the selector shows neck pickup
  • At the end of the video, it says "neck pickup rolled off" when the selector shows bridge pickup
  • It would be great to show both single coil and humbucker guitars
  • It would be great to see a variety of settings on the pedal - it seems like you used a setting that is "good to you", but obviously there are several knobs with some degree of range
  • Overall, I think the concept is ok... If you added the things I mentioned the video would likely be 3-4 times longer

- Yeah, I know about the pickup selector being wrong in the video. That's why I specified it in the corner. The performance was a total mime. Is that something I should definitely fix or can we "meh" over it?

- In the description, I mention that I turn up the gain on the drive pedals for each section. I have considered doing a variety of settings, but most people kinda find one setting that they like on their pedal and leave it there for eternity (generally). Maybe a different setting each section? To be fair though, these pedals which I demoed don't really have a variety of sounds available (except maybe the Riot)

- If this format works, I'll repeat the videos with a Les Paul. Same song etc. I want to keep the video length down to around 5 minutes

Your ideas are definitely valid and things I'll consider introducing. I've got the Les Paul videos to make so I'll see if I can improve things for that series of videos.

As I said, I want to get the format\template right the first time, then go from there.

- Yeah, I know about the pickup selector being wrong in the video. That's why I specified it in the corner. The performance was a total mime. Is that something I should definitely fix or can we "meh" over it?

- In the description, I mention that I turn up the gain on the drive pedals for each section. I have considered doing a variety of settings, but most people kinda find one setting that they like on their pedal and leave it there for eternity (generally). Maybe a different setting each section? To be fair though, these pedals which I demoed don't really have a variety of sounds available (except maybe the Riot)

- If this format works, I'll repeat the videos with a Les Paul. Same song etc. I want to keep the video length down to around 5 minutes

Your ideas are definitely valid and things I'll consider introducing. I've got the Les Paul videos to make so I'll see if I can improve things for that series of videos.

As I said, I want to get the format\template right the first time, then go from there.
I think you could either fix the video or add a note to your on screen text identifying the pickup selector position error.

I don't think most people will understand the "mime" thing unless you explain it... And I suspect that you'll get further comments from others.

Since you're doing a 1-time template, I'd strive for perfection on that otherwise it's the same issues in every video.

Since I'm viewing the video here and not directly on YouTube, I don't see any description... And since videos often get shared via links, it might be wise to assume others will also not see descriptions unless they are included in the video content.

While I understand that most people do the old set it and forget it routine, that is why I mentioned the "good for you" part - you've set it to a place that is good for you, but not necessarily what somebody else will think is good for them. It's a challenge for sure...

I think you could either fix the video or add a note to your on screen text identifying the pickup selector position error.

I don't think most people will understand the "mime" thing unless you explain it... And I suspect that you'll get further comments from others.

Since you're doing a 1-time template, I'd strive for perfection on that otherwise it's the same issues in every video.

Since I'm viewing the video here and not directly on YouTube, I don't see any description... And since videos often get shared via links, it might be wise to assume others will also not see descriptions unless they are included in the video content.

While I understand that most people do the old set it and forget it routine, that is why I mentioned the "good for you" part - you've set it to a place that is good for you, but not necessarily what somebody else will think is good for them. It's a challenge for sure...

You're right. Not everybody is as cynical as us who would assume most guitar videos are mimed. I'll revisit that template and fix that up.

If I'm going to actually start this channel, I'll do an intro video for the channel where I explain the recording process and that bit about increasing the gain or whatever. It is a problem when videos are linked on a forum that people won't get the description and stuff, but in the interest of keeping video length short, I'm not sure how to solve that problem? Maybe on the title cards for each bit I can point it out.

I'm not sure how to deal with the variety-of-settings issue and keep the videos short. It's a rabbit hole I'm not sure I want to go down because if I ever get my hands on a Strymon pedal...I'm in serious shit if people are expecting me to show all the possible sounds. It's why I'd kinda prefer to do the set-and-forget routine which is how most people approach their pedals in the first place.

Cheers again for your feedback. This is good stuff.

People don't like reading and also imagine everyone watching on a smartphone- I couldn't read any of that if I was...

Anyway- nothing is wrong with a good voice over or on screen explanation of everything

Too much transitions with text and too much reading and too much text- it's no thought or imposition just reading text over guitar playing

WORST OF ALL
how you supposed to be mr youtube personality with none of your head/face in any shot?

Check this guys approach out... One of the best I've seen. Simple and easy to hear and understand. Not a lot of pointless noodling.

Last edited:
People don't like reading and also imagine everyone watching on a smartphone- I couldn't read any of that if I was...

Anyway- nothing is wrong with a good voice over or on screen explanation of everything

Too much transitions with text and too much reading and too much text- it's no thought or imposition just reading text over guitar playing

WORST OF ALL
how you supposed to be mr youtube personality with none of your head/face in any shot?

I'd like to think my commentary on the side isn't entirely necessary. I still want the audio to be the main focus. Besides, I would've thought most people do their pedal research when they're at home with their guitar in their laps rather than on their phones? I didn't consider a phone audience to be honest. Something I'll try to take into account.

I'd rather not talk on top of the demonstration though.

In regards to my face not being in shot, have you seen gearmandude? ;) I'd still like to avoid being a "personality" as such and instead focus more on having good demos of the pedals. (That being said, gearmandude has s shitload of that "personality" thing going on :p)

If you do check this guys approach out... On of the best I've seen. Simple and easy to hear and understand. Not a lot of pointless noodling.

Cheers for that! Will see what I can erm..."borrow" for my ideas ;)

I'd say the "best" video's on the whole are Jay Leonard J, he tends to explain a pedal or amps features, why you'd actually want those features, does a bit of with/without comparisons, and plays a pretty wide ranges of licks (very well I might add), and keeps it all fairly brief and interesting.

Endless blues noodling is boring and doesn't really show off the pedal, just hitting random chords (ala second half of Prymaxe/Hermans) is boring, and "no talking" video's don't really add any insights.

I think one needs to share a little of what and why its works, or doesn't work, provide some musical examples of that, and then also some other styles as not everyone wants to hear just downtuned metal riffs, or noodling blues wanking etc.

Personality goes a long ways honestly, at least for me, and gives things a bit more of a complete package.

I'd rather watch someone like Pete Thorn or Andy over Schnolbels or Mike Hermans, because the first two guys just come off as engaging, and not to knock the later two, who are cool I'm sure, but they don't put any personality into it. I know some prefer that even, but it doesn't keep me wanting to come back.

Pete Thorn for example makes a video that feels like I'm over at his place, and he's just showing me some cool new pedal, telling me about how he's going to use it on his next tour in Japan etc, he's not showing off, he's not playing too little, but he frames the musical parts with information/personality

Need to essentially come up with the unique mix that makes people say "that was good" and also "I want to see his next one"

Back
Top Bottom