Thinking about buying Axe-Utra or Mesa Roadking..convince me

guitwiz

I'm in a 90's pop and rock tribute band so I need a lot of different sounds at each show. My main dilema is needing that solid state crunch with sweet squeal and feedback type distortion AND warm tube distortion. To do this, I have the following gear:
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 - gives me a nice clean sound and warm distortion useable for most songs... but when I need that harder rock distortion I use an Ampeg SS150-H into a Peavey 212 cab.
I use an RJM switcher to switch between amp setups and patch in all my pedals - i.e. small clone for Nirvana chorus, mxr flanger, boss chorus, boss pitch shifter, boss delay, and mxr signal booster for solos.
I don't want to carry around two amps and cabinet anymore and having to mic two rigs on stage taking up two channels on the board, so I've given up the Ampeg and just been using the Mesa, but that leaves me without that solid state metal crunch that the Mesa just won't do. Also, the Boss DD-3 is just muddying up my sound for leads.
SO...
I bought a G Major 2 for $500 in hopes to have a better delay sound and some addtional effects versatility since with the RJM switcher, you set your pedals to one sound and leave them- and promptly returned it as it was very unimpressive in the way of delay and effects for the money.
When returning it to Guitar Center, the guy asked me why I wasn't satisfied and when I told him he suggested the Fractal Axe - which I had never heard of so I started investigating and it seems very cool. I've had a modeling amp before and liked the idea of having all amp sounds and effects in one box - a Johnson Millenium. The problem with that amp though was that you couldn't get really good distortion sounds and clean sounds at the same time. To get a good distortion sound you had to crank up the main volume to drive the amp - but when doing that, the clean sound suffered - and if you brought the main gain down to make the clean sound sweet - the distortion sound suffered due to not driving the amp enough. I considered this an inherent flaw in the design of the amp and eventually sold it. Also, it still had tubes which had to be replaced.
The other guitarist in my band has a Mesa Roadking combo amp with 2 12's and it sounds great! But you need a forklift to move it around it's so heavy and I have a degenerative disc in my back, so moving heavy gear is not in my best interest. He also has the TC Electronic G System which gives him great effects.
I'm thinking about getting the Fractal Axe Ultra and Atomic MB-50 amp to run into my Peavey 212 cab, but with the money I'm spending I could just buy a Roadking Head.
Convince me... is the Fractal Axe going to sound better than the Mesa Roadking? Will the effects be better than the G System? Will this solve my dual distortion needs? Can I get that sweet squeal and feedback crunchy distortion I can get from the Ampeg solid state amp? Will I be able to get cool distortion sounds AND great clean sounds for my gigs?

Re: Thinking about buying Axe-Utra or Mesa Roadking..convinc

I had a G-System & a 1st gen Mesa Roadking. Both gone. Cant say I really miss them. Overall, the effects on the Ultra are superior to the TC stuff. If youre in love with certain TC effects, you may prefer them. I think the delays & pitch-shifting are head & tails above TC.

Roadking was a great amp, but I really like the sounds Im getting from My Ultra over the years, compared to the Mesa. Ive had a few Mesa's over the years & can really say I dont miss them.

Just my .2

Must be inflation... 2 cents is now 20 cents. ;)

With all respect, you already have good ears. Convince yourself! Put them side by side for 15 days, and return the one you don't like.

Shaloha said:
Must be inflation... 2 cents is now 20 cents. ;)

Exactly! lol
Over the years that quote has never been updated. I took it upon myself...

That & my girlfriend already called me twice for dinner & was hurriedly trying to finish my post

Back to the original post, the Roadking is great, but it always has that "Mesa" branding on the sounds. Not a bad thing, as I found its take on the lower gain Marshall, pretty good. Brit mode was very usable & worked great with a tube screamer driving it in triode mode (the newer Roadkings are missing the Pentode/triode switch on the back of the amp - bad idea, Mesa)

But the Ultras Marshall tones are awesome. The Brown eye amps are just amazing. I could go on and on...

U post in a fractal forum. Of cos the answer will be Axe Fx Ultra. haha!

Anyway. I sold my mesa triple rectifier & g major rig to buy the Axe Fx ultra. Very satisfied with it cos Im cant crank the f**king mesa at home to record or play whatever. =( . But the rig is really great. But after I downsize to Axe Fx ultra, things are much more consistent and flexibility is soooo much better than the old rig.

I have owned both. The roadking is not near as versatile as advertised. Great amp, don't get me wrong. But it will always sound like a recto, no matter if you are using Brit with el34.

It is a recto so that should not be a surprise. But people mistakenly think it will get all kinds of tones and it just won't.

Axe fx paired with a goodmpower amp will do what the road king does.

Not vice versa. Axe fx will do pretty much every tone.

Sold the roadking. Will only sell the axe fx when the newer version comes out (maybe)

Convince yourself! Put them side by side for 15 days, and return the one you don't like.

Nice idea, but don't have the cash for that - lol!

Thanks for all the input here. Good to hear from those who have owned a Roadking.

Buy the Axe... been there done that with the road king. Axe will save your back, time, sanity it's an all around win for you and your band mates especially if your doing the pop and rock tribute thing.

I've actually heard a Road King II vid on YouTube where he AB'd it against his Eleven Rack and my goodness it was impossible to tell which was which after a while. In fact, at one point, I swear the Eleven Rack sounded a little better :shock: than the real deal. Albeit there were a few caveats on the sound being produced :p.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jfEjY_75Io

I'm sure there is someone out there who's coaxed a Road King sound out of an Axe FX, so that would save you a lot of time rather than starting from scratch and creating your own patch. But then that is just one sound that you would have at your disposal.

Personally, I would go the Axe FX route, while the Road King is indeed a brilliant amp, being in a tribute band you would more appreciate the flexibity that an Axe FX would afford you. And if the Axe FX doesn't work out to your expectations you could always sell it - as far as I know Axe FX's hold there value rather well.

Why not keep the 5:50 Express and use pedals to achieve what you can't with the channels on that amp? Nothing wrong with a clean amp and pedal setup, and there are some damn nice gain stomps to be had these days. Save your back with the smaller combo and you can change out pedals if/when you get tired of them. Time tested, road approved rig.

Back
Top Bottom