Thinking about buying an axe-fx...would you do it again?

I would absolutely buy another Axe, i would love to have a second one around as a backup TBH. As for the ever changing ever evolving tone, normally I would agree with you, but in general my old "ever changing" tones on tube amps were me trying constantly to get the amp how I really wanted it to, always being just a bit off, so i kept changing to adapt, but now my tone is exactly as I left it before (no aging tubes or other variables in analog circuitry), and that tone is generally just what I wanted. If i do change a patch up its because I've decided to alter something in my sound, be it for more cut in a mix, to blend better, or if i've just decided that its time for a change of some sort.
The clean, crunch, and hi-gain tones are great, and I have yet to be on such a wild goose chase. I was trying for years on my Boogie MkIV to get the right tone, never quite getting it, but with the axe you have so much more control, and if you understand how to use all the features (or even just a good chunk of them) you can shape your tone to just about anything you like. I wont say it can do EVERY sound, but it can do a great deal of them very well. I generally prefer the MkIV sounds in the axe better than my old amp, the extra control I have and the lack of aging tubes really helped me nail that tone. The only chasing i go on now is adding another tone to my inventory of presets. My main patch now is modeled after the bogner ecstasy, but i still enjoy making bi-amped patches to experiment and exploring the tones of all the other ams, and sometimes I find a sound I like. So, its a different kind of "Wild goose chase" where in the end i keep catching more "geese" i didn't even know were in there.

Sup?

YES in a freaking heart beat.
I still say this is single handedly the best piece of gear I have ever bought for guitar.....Period.

MOSHON
DAVE

Yep. Would do it again. The Axe-FX is on another level from any POD. There is no comparison there.

I owned an Engl Powerball when I bought mine and sold it on eBay 6 months later. The Engl does one thing very well and that is a heavy distortion. I've been able to get great distortions with the Axe and it is infinitely flexible.

Will pick up a 2nd Ultra without a 2nd thought when I need a backup.

If I were to lose my Ultra and were given a gift certificate to purchase any amp I wanted with it...... I would buy an Ultra.

Back
Top Bottom