Thinking about a Tele style guitar

Sixstring

Legend!
Ok, I have never been a Tele guy so I never really took the time to learn all about them. I have occasionally picked them up but never really like how they felt against my body. I friend of mine has a limited edition Fender Tele and it plays really good but it a double humbucker so you don't really get that tele twang if you want it.

This got me thinking about either having a custom Tele style guitar built or finding a used one that is close to having all of the wants I'm looking for. So, if I were going to have one built for the body it would have to have a forearm relief and a belly cut.

For the neck I really liked the one on the Limited edition which I believe has a 10"/15" compound radius not sure about the fret wire size but it felt really good and was easy to play. No pick guards, can't stand that look as classic as it is I just don't care for it I would much rather see a nice flame or quilted top. For the Bridge a modern style Tele bridge with individual saddles would be prefered over the classic one.

Pup's, single at the bridge and humbucker at the neck not sure what type but an Andy Summers type sound is good! The electronics... Not a big fan of classic Tele switching and knobs I would like to have them arranged in the fashion of my CT624.

If there is a Tele style out their that is close to that maybe I could overlook some of the things that I don't like for a better deal on the guitar. So based off of this list of wants maybe some of the Tele guys could sound off and point me in the right direction in where to look to fill my shopping list or find a guitar that gets close to it, it would be much appreciated !

I had a real 72' setup like you describe.

Here is the resissue: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...e=&network=g&gclid=CPXIwd7WvssCFdgegQod1zMHmg

Note the fender humbucker is not a standard humbucking size, it is bigger. There are plenty of after market pickup rings that let you mount a standard humbucker without mods though.

If it were me, I would get the regular single / single and not the neck humbucker. For my tastes, the neck pickup is really not as versatile as having an SC there. In comparison, I do occassionally use the neck pickup in my Les Paul and 335 but not much. Mostly bridge and middle.

But the SC in the Tele neck is a great usable tone for me.

I think the Fender Custom Shop 63' is really a great reissue that doesn't break the bank (compared to a REAL 63!)

This one's not too bad, but a little pricey. Not sure if these pups are what you're looking for, but I've got plenty of nice guitars and my favorite is a melancon strat. (Comfy body, the neck is like nothing I've ever played and the pups are top notch, imho. Great guitars, I think among the best made.) Second choice for a tele would be a Suhr T, but it's true to the original form with SC and classic tele switching, plus the body digs into your ribs, like you mentioned.

https://reverb.com/item/1619689-melancon-p-90-artist-t-amber

Agree with barh that the two sc pups are sort of the tele thing. I had the fender tele american standard or classic or whatever it was called, with the two humbuckers. It sounded nothing like a tele and was probably the least favorite guitar I've ever had. But that was back in the 70s or 80s, so it may have been I just didn't know how good I had it, lol.

I have been eyeing this one Custom built Fender Tele even though it doesn't have a lot of the things I am looking for but the price is right! I have a JVT 59 I'm thinking of letting go. just not using it enough even though it has some really cool features.

Personally, I would go to a music store to get a Tele. Those guitars have too much damn personality to order.

Personally, I would go to a music store to get a Tele. Those guitars have too much damn personality to order.

I agree with every guitar if that is a viable option!!! Nothing like comparing between many guitars if it is model you don't have experience with playing.

This is the closest current production model I can think of .... but I can't imagine it will have the Tele "Twang".

http://intl.fender.com/en-GB/guitar...telecaster-fmt-hh-rosewood-fingerboard-amber/

this may be the Limited edition you are talking about?

I guess you may be able to find a custom pick up builder who could wind you some single coil pickups in a Humbucker casing to try and get more of the twang?

here you go ... no affiliation or experience of the pickup...

http://www.lollarguitars.com/mm5/me...de=10-109-13&Category_Code=telecaster-pickups

+1

My Haar Telecaster may not be as flexible as my other guitars but it indeed has the most "character" of them all. I love that thing, even when it doesn't get as much playtime as others.

And it should be forbidden by law to install a humbucker pickup on a Tele! :cool:

Well, I'm still looking with all the good info here it has me thinking a lot about the way I should go. I have moved on from the ebay Tele, to many things there that could be wrong with that deal. I may have to pay Fender a visit and see what they have or can do for me.

My 52 reissue telecaster is a very versatile guitar you can play rock, hard rock,blues,jazz, country, everything on that thing. never have any problems with it and it's built like a tank

I've played Teles for a long time and my MJT is probably the best I've ever played (have a American Deluxe with upgraded pickups, bridge and SS frets currently gathering dust)!
Check them out.

Back
Top Bottom