Things I've learned from my Axe-Fx II

Art B

(In no particular order. Just my 2¢. YMMV.)

• Sound guys can be friendly people.

• I still hate RAT pedals.

• If it's below ~89 Hz, I don't want it (unless I'm playing my bass).

• The new firmware is coming soon.
  • Even though I've played tube amps for almost 20 years, a digital device made me understand how things like sag, transformer impedance, and bias excursion influence my tone.
  • Smaller cabinets (1x12, 2x12, 2x10, etc.) like my Fenders better than my humbucker guitars.
  • The new Dumble models have taught me firsthand just how cleanly Robben and Larry play.
  • Many tube purists still listen with their eyes. (I think they're threatened by the fact that I can nail their tone, and still have room for 383 more.)
  • If someone held a gun to my head and told me that I had to pick one tube amp to use for the rest of my life, I now feel like I could make an educated choice that I would be able to live with.
  • Using a DIGITAL device, I can play a whole gig on one preset by simply adjusting my guitar volume.
  • Trainwreck? Oh, I get it now!

What have YOU learned from your Axe-Fx?

Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, and Yes. As hard as it is to believe....we have arrived.

When people come up to me during or after a gig to tell me how awesome I am. I actually hear exactly what they are talking about and how awesome I really am through my FRFR. But deep inside, I know that I am better than that...simply because I can be gone with all my gear before anyone even notices. Like some kind of guitar superhero ninja dude! Meanwhile the tube purist is still waiting for his rig to cool down on standby...

I agree that I've learned a lot about different amp parameters, as well as recording techniques. I do have to admit, though, that there are times (like right now trying to get what I think is a great Dumble tone) when I wish I could just go over to something like theampfactory.com & audition some great presets until I find one that gets me what I want.

For me I have learned a lot, and I still have a long way to go..

• There are many levels of Axe-FX. Factory presets, Yek's Presets (Thanks!), Galo's Presets(Thanks!), plus developing my own.
  • Learning how to setup and start using and Axe-FX was much easier via Youtube videos than reading the manual. Thanks Kris!
  • Learning how to setup the MFC-101 was much, much easier via Youtube videos. Thanks Kris!
  • I love how my Axe-FX sounds without having to have a bunch of tube amp and pedals. The garage sale is on! My back is so happy!
  • The Axe-FX is in a whole different class than other MFX processors I have used. (Boss GT-100, Line6 Pod's, etc.)
  • The Axe-FX is way beyond trying to sound like something else famous. It's way past that, now it can make sounds that no other tube amp could. Now I find a good sound and spend my time playing instead of trying to sound exactly like …..
  • I very surprised and happy how often Fractal Audio comes out with updates for the unit.

Loopie.

Still trying to understand/dial in the Trainwreck, but I get it (having owned a Mark Kane one previously). It's a beast of its own.

Appropriate and thoughtful technology allows me to focus on playing something that moves me and my clients. I have freed up "CPU power" for entertaining and schmoozing with our audience and this makes bar owners happy. The AF2 lets me take off the tech geek hat if I wish and plunge into music. Just glorious and very happy-making.

I play and practice and write and record way way more with a smaller and quieter rig that sounds as good as my pants-flapping favorites. This improves my musicianship.

A big step up. I still LOVE my analog gear and play it when I can...but mostly Fractal for the last few years.

Back
Top Bottom