Things I've Learned after 3 Days with Axe-Fx

johnrobbfl

Inspired
Ok, so I've had 3 days with my Axe-Fx and I've learned a few things.

1. Apparently I'm a Mesa Boogie fan because the different Boogie presets just sound incredible and have the tone I've always been after with my various tube amps.
2. The Friedman HBE100 is so smooth and lush that it's hard to believe there's not tube amp hidden inside.
3. Small studio monitors don't quite do it, so hopefully a CLR (or two) will be at my doorstep sometime soon.
4. It's going to take investing a lot of time to dig into this beast and figure out all the stuff it can do.
5. The Axe-Fx is worth every penny, particularly when you consider that with the push of a button you can switch between so many $5,000+ amp and effects combinations - and they sound and feel authentic.

\m/

Posted with TapTalk for iPhone, please forgive the spelling errors.

The more I play with the Axe-Fx the more impressed I am with it.

I had made my own preset using a HBE100 and a graphic EQ, but it was sounding a little harsh. I swapped out the graphic EQ for a parametric EQ and in seconds had it sounding incredible. All the harshness gone.

I am really amazed by this little box!

Can't find better , I tested a lot of modelers , even kemper , but the AxeFx stays the best:)

I had made my own preset using a HBE100 and a graphic EQ, but it was sounding a little harsh. I swapped out the graphic EQ for a parametric EQ and in seconds had it sounding incredible. All the harshness gone.

try the new passive eq. i'm not an eq person, if i can't get it in the block i look for either a different amp or ir, but i know a lot of the guys have switched from the graphic and para to the new passive.

try the new passive eq. i'm not an eq person, if i can't get it in the block i look for either a different amp or ir, but i know a lot of the guys have switched from the graphic and para to the new passive.

Yep - I'm was never big on EQ's in my guitar rig, used to only use them in the studio and DAW.

Now I have the 5 band passive EQ in most of my go to Axe Fx presets, it really is a fantastic sounding EQ.

Yeah, I've been a Boogie guy for years (Triaxis, Rectoverb, then Mark IV), but since I got the Axe II, I cannot stop playing the British style amps. The Vox and Marshall style models are so damn good. I just cannot get enough of the way they clean up so well with the guitar volume control. They're so touch sensitive and respond so well to different guitars, pickups, and playing techniques too.

After my 1st three days with Axe FX II;

1. Finally, I am no longer a slave to tube amps, and all the time and money lost in maintaining a gigging rig.

2. No more frustration in getting different gear to work together with cables and power and impedance.

3. Everyone is a skeptic until they actually hear it, then they treat you like royalty.

+1!
the new passive EQ is amazing. just little changes can do wonders.

Best gear purchase in the past ten years. I love my AxeFX. Every show is a treat. Great flexibility, deep tone, and ease of use. When I first got my AxeFX II XL this March, I let a few friends try it in my rehearsal room. You should see the looks on their faces... a bunch tone purists with boutique pedal fetishes (hey, I'm one of these guys too)... totally delighted and inspired by this magic black box. Worth every penny.

Is changing the eq in the amp block to the new passive the same as adding it after the amp block.

Is changing the eq in the amp block to the new passive the same as adding it after the amp block.

No it would not be the same. I personally have not toyed with the P-EQs yet but I would imagine it is simulating adding an EQ stompbox in front or behind you signal chain. I am looking forward to trying it out once my life becomes less busy with my 4 month old ;) .

Thanks!

No it would not be the same.... but I would imagine it is simulating adding an EQ stompbox in front or behind you signal chain.

I don't understand this. It's the not same as adding an EQ after the amp... But it might be like adding an EQ before or after the amp?

But it might be like adding an EQ before or after the amp?

tlingen had asked if changing the Amp Block EQ is the same as adding a PEQ block to you signal chain. I would imagine that it is NOT the same thing? Am I incorrect in assuming that?

According to the Wiki it can be one or the other: Wiki EQ

The PEQ can be used to "shave off" annoying low and high frequencies, using "blocking" EQ.
1. Put a PEQ block after the Cab block.
2. Set the lowest band to "Blocking" and select a frequency, usually somewhere in the range 80Hz - 160Hz.
3. Set the highest band to "Blocking" and select a frequency, usually somewhere in the range 5kHz - 8kHz.
4. Keep the middle three bands at default.
5. Enable the PEQ.

Or am I speaking out of me bum? Lemme know Chris, thanks.

What frequencies did you boost/cut. Can you share the patch?

To be more specific: If I wanted to make changes using the new 5 band passive eq, should I use the eq under the amp block's tone page or leave that alone and add an eq block after the amp block using the same new 5 band passive?

From the wiki Amp block page:

The graphic EQ in the Amp block is fixed in position at the output of the preamp section.

I don't see the difference between that and putting an EQ after the amp. Maybe there's a slight difference in tone since the EQ is before the virtual power amp, but I just use the EQ in the amp block for tone changes to the amp. Any other EQ is more of a "post" or studio approach.

Really, try them both and see if you hear a difference. That will answer the question no matter what anyone else says.

The cab "blocking" example was just one way to use an EQ block, placing it after the cab in this instance.

Maybe there's a slight difference in tone since the EQ is before the virtual power amp, but I just use the EQ in the amp block for tone changes to the amp. Any other EQ is more of a "post" or studio approach.

Really, try them both and see if you hear a difference. That will answer the question no matter what anyone else says.

Thanks Chris, that's solid advice.

To be more specific: If I wanted to make changes using the new 5 band passive eq, should I use the eq under the amp block's tone page or leave that alone and add an eq block after the amp block using the same new 5 band passive?

Personally I only change the EQs in the Amp Block for right now, it adds another element of character for the specific sound you are searching for. Hope this helps, wasn't trying to overcomplicate the issue. Thanks

Yeah, I've been a Boogie guy for years (Triaxis, Rectoverb, then Mark IV), but since I got the Axe II, I cannot stop playing the British style amps. The Vox and Marshall style models are so damn good. I just cannot get enough of the way they clean up so well with the guitar volume control. They're so touch sensitive and respond so well to different guitars, pickups, and playing techniques too.

I've been parked on the AC15 for a few days now, just love it.

After first 3 days with Axe FX I've learned that I have a lot to learn. And I didn't even know how much I will have to learn. After a year with the Axe, I still have to learn. But I'm happy every time I turn that button on.

Back
Top Bottom