Things Everybody Plays Wrong

This "type" of chord progression happens in many songs, but I'll use Hit Me With Your Best Shot as an example.

In the verse, the root notes step down- E, D#, C#, but only the E & C# are power chords (root-5-octave.) The D# is actually an inversion of a B chord. This inversion is played with the major 3rd as the lowest note, as in 3-5-octave, which would be fingered: 5/6, 4/4, 3/4 (string/fret), or you could just keep your pinky on the 9th fret of the 4th string after playing the E chord, and just move your first finger down to the D#.

My ear is pretty sensitive, so it always drives me crazy when people play that descending chord progression as all power chords. It's just wrong.

A similar chord progression that has the same issue is in The Spirit of Radio. The chord is not a G#, but rather an E/G#.

This "type" of chord progression happens in many songs, but I'll use Hit Me With Your Best Shot as an example.

My ear is pretty sensitive, so it always drives me crazy when people play that descending chord progression as all power chords. It's just wrong.
I agree! That's a pet peeve of mine as well. Burns my ears. :tearsofjoy:

(Paul Davids video)
Paul has been called out by Paul Simon and Dominic Miller recently for not playing their stuff correctly. But that's kinda cool for the original artists to watch and comment. He does often show himself as a bewildered guy with his hand stuck in his hair in his video thumbnails, so I suppose it's not a surprise. :)

1699237525092.png

In the verse, the root notes step down- E, D#, C#, but only the E & C# are power chords (root-5-octave.) The D# is actually an inversion of a B chord. This inversion is played with the major 3rd as the lowest note, as in 3-5-octave, which would be fingered: 5/6, 4/4, 3/4 (string/fret), or you could just keep your pinky on the 9th fret of the 4th string after playing the E chord, and just move your first finger down to the D#.

A similar chord progression that has the same issue is in The Spirit of Radio. The chord is not a G#, but rather an E/G#.
Another common one might be Eye of the Tiger, where it goes Cm Eb/G Ab with guitar playing x355 36 466. I probably remembered the sound of Weird Al's "wrong" version Gm Dm Eb (key changed to fit Al's range, most likely) for years before listening to the original very closely.

Back
Top Bottom