These Friedmans are going to be the death of me...

jlynnb1

Axe-Master
Such a quandary. The Dirty Shirley has long been my fav rock and roll amp in the box, and the new Small Box is df giving it a run for it's money. The BE and HBE are much better now they are in the mix as well. The new Fractal cab IR's are playing a big role as well. How do you guys usually run yours? I've always ran my MV a little on the higher side (around 6 or so), but after reading how some ran them like old Marshalls (pretty much everything on 10), i gave that a run as well. Can't really decide what I like most.

How is everyone else doing it? going for a straight up rock and roll vibe here, not a super tight high gain type tone.

I always set MV at 10 on non-master volume models lke Plexis and adjust gain, usually low to avoid mudiness and keep the tone clear and open. On master volume models, it really depends because every model is different and react differently. On the JVM for example, I set the Master as low as 1.75 because I want preamp distortion with no color from the poweramp section.

On the Friedmans, I usually set MV between 3-4. But I can get good results raising MV around 6 but I then engage the Bass cut, lower the gain around 3. The greatest thing with the Axe fx is you can experiment in a way you could'nt unless being in a good studio! I could never crank a 100W Plexi at home and even if I could, there's no way I woupd hear the nuances in tone experimenting, the walls would be shaking and my ears exploding.
With the new Small box, I like the MV around 5-6. Great Plexi tone With good natural compression. In the end, there is no rule. If setting the MV of your favorite model gives you a
Killer tone, do it and have fun!!!

+1 on the small box.

I've got some minor tweaks for the small box preset 117 on the XL+

I played that for hours last night. I kept the master where it was though. About 6.5 IIRC.

I find the small box more touch responsive. Like a dumble style amp vs. the BE and HBE.

Back
Top Bottom