There's a Metallica Documentary on Netflix...

Yeah its pretty old now, from the St Anger sessions and to be honest is nowhere near as good as the old "Year and a half..." tapes, now that is a good watch!

Seeing Metallica followed by that charlatan therapist, hovering around like a pesky summer fly just made me cringe in despair. Jason Newsted's comment on that very situation is spot on.

Last edited:
Yeah its pretty old now, from the the St Anger sessions and to be honest is nowhere near as good as the old "Year and a half..." tapes, now that is a good watch!

Seeing Metallica followed by that charlatan therapist, hovering around like a pesky summer fly just made me cringe in despair. Jason Newsted's comment on that very situation is spot on.
Yes, i'm desperately trying to find the "one year and a half" series with french subtitles but can't find it anywhere....

Every time i see the name "St. Anger" in my mind I see "St. Anky Beer" from the end of Super Troopers.

iu

It's definitely worth it after seeing that to watch the Performanceklok episode of Metalocalypse with the therapist Dr. Twinkletits (pronounced twink-Letits), 100% modeled after that guy.

Metallica ended with ...And Justice For All for me, but that's another story; on the other hand, I think Some Kind of Monster is a very cool documentary, to me it's a really interesting look at how these guys, who lead the charge in popularizing thrash and paving the way so other bands could land a few really well produced albums on major labels (I love the idea of Bob Ludwig being the mastering engineer on Persistence of Time by Anthrax), changed to be something so unbelievably far from that. I could never square how the guy who wrote Blackened ended up with "Give me fuel, give me fire..." Dave Lombardo talked about throwing the Black Album down a flight of stairs, and I'm not far off from that. I love the scene in "A Year and a Half" where they're throwing darts at pictures of some glam rock looking guys (I can't remember who). A friend once said about that "If 1990 Metallica could see modern Metallica, they'd be throwing darts at them too."

Repression can be good.

Just look at what social media has become with everyone sharing their honest feelings
with one another. ;)

I recall about ten years ago that the Church my elderly parents attended hired a counselor to come in
and do some "group" therapy and team-building with some of the senior and most influential members.
Everything blew up in their faces, though. It backfired completely! People spoke honestly to one another
and the Church fractured. Lots of people just left. To this day it's attendance and standing in the community
has not recovered.

So-called "healing" is messy and in the end you may not want it.

Kip Winger

Ah, I had him in the back of my mind. Yeah, I mean, they're using Bob Rock, producer of Motley Crue, and throwing darts at Kip fucking Winger (who I think is garbage). So perfect. To be clear, I love a bunch of glam metal (Vain's first two albums are incredible, but does that just mean I only care about the Bay Area?), but Metallica was a band that stood for their own terms, I respected that they had a point of view, had challenging music, and believed in it in an awesome way. Not to knock the engineering on The Black Album, but Bob Rock wasn't one of the army of engineers (including assistant engineers); he was the guy with the idea: Hey, Metallica is most popular progressive-minded band out there...Let's dumb it down! Then hopefully, within the next few years, every thrash band from Overkill to Anthrax will copy that formula and create albums that are absolutely beneath them; if we work hard enough, we can kill the whole genre and hand progressive metal leanings to some death metal bands. Let's totally go from Horrorscope to I Hear Black, and from Persistence of Time to Sound of White Noise. Not to call Horrorscope and P.O.T. progressive, but they're just utterly The Best, just completely awesome. And this changing of the essence of thrash bands was covered in a couple of the thrash documentaries out there (I think Bob Nalbandian covered this, as well as Sam Dunn). Even Forbidden, with one of the best thrash albums ever, to me the gold standard, Twisted Into Form, followed in this path. Sorry, that time period sunk me into a deep depression I never got over, and I could rant all day about this, so I'll leave it at that.

Back
Top Bottom