The Who Baba O'Riley Keyboard Intro

deakle

Experienced
Has anyone been able to create a patch to simulate the keyboard intro for The Who's Baba O'Riley on the guitar? Or the keyboard intro to "Won't Get Fooled Again"? I know EVH simulated the keys to "Won't Get Fooled Again" on Van Halen's live album in the Sammy era, but I think the Axe FX could generate a full on keys simulation. Moke @Moke has a B3 simulation preset that is excellent! Anybody?

I'm doing the same as EVH did for Won't Get Fooled Again but only because I couldn't make the AF2 do a good emulation. If you do find or develop a patch I'd be interested to hear it.

I can get the staccato sound of it right, but I can't get the tone of the synth close enough. I used the arpeggiator to do two hits of 1 5 8 5 and then put a tremolo after it with the duty adjusted to get the pulse of it right.

Here's something I played around with today. Not quite there but reminiscent.

What's tricky is in reading about this sound is that the key to it is a setting on the organ. It's not a synth. It's a Lowrey organ. There was a setting called Marimba Repeat. When you pressed a key, it would do quick repeat of the sound. However, when you pressed two keys at once, it would do a faster each. I tried ti emulate that by playing a trill.

I attached the preset if you want to play around with it. I Tone Matched the song to get closer to the eq of the organ.

Attachments

• Baba Trem exp.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 28
That sounds pretty good!!

The difference for Van Halen playing it, and for most of the rest of us is that people will hear EVH and go, "wow listen to how he did it!" He gets the luxury of interpreting it, while for us mortals, it's "meh, it doesn't really sound like the record at all." ;-)

Back
Top Bottom