The Ultimate Tips Compilation for LIVE direct to the board

GuttaLaser

Power User
Well... the title say enough.
No matter what kind of amp or cab and setting for the tone...
Just... say... better mono or stereo... or pan hard/not so hard left/right... or push some mids... or no more of the X% wet reverb... and everything of your knowledge and experiences playing LIVE direct to the board!
Rock on ppl :devilish:

After making your presets at the volume you will play live...
1. Try them out with your band through a PA at gig volume (assuming you have access to a PA).
2. If you don't have access to a PA, beg borrow or steal access.
3. You need to find out if you are walking over the Bass player, drums, vocalist, etc. with YOUR band.

Many of the questions you asked are personal opinion, and on some forums have lead to very deriding comments being slung back and forth.

The venues I play have pretty good PA systems, operated by either our dedicated FOH engineer, or a house engineer. My approach is to dial in my tones in my music room at home, using studio monitors that are FRFR, making the assumption that my sounds will faithfully translate to a larger system. I build and practice my tones at moderate volume, then do a final solo run-through at stage volume to listen for tonal changes at volume.

The band usually does at least one full-show technical rehearsal before big shows, and I have our FOH operator keep detailed notes on what he wants adjusted for all instruments. Most of the time he keeps my guitar channel completely straight with no board EQ, only making adjustments when he hears frequency buildup in the room. The usual culprit is the combination of guitar and keyboards, since we're both covering a lot of the same sonic territory. If the low-mids get oversaturated, the mix sounds tubby and inarticulate. If it's just the room, then he'll make the one-time adjustment at the board. But there are times during the tech rehearsal - usually when we're bringing in new material - when he'll suggest that either the guitar or keys need to make an adjustment for the sake of the entire mix. It's the kind of adjustment you can't predict until you hear the entire band together.

Definitely practice your sound at stage volume. You might try creating three scenes for some presets [darker - neutral - brighter] so you can experiment with the EQ curve during rehearsals based on what you're hearing. If you consistently go for the "brighter" patch, you might need to make that your new baseline.

If you don't have access to a flat-response PA or speaker system for practice, consider getting a really great set of flat-response headphones. There is a whole thread about headphone preferences for AxeFX, and you can dial in very reliable tones using them.

All my patches are stereo, but "mono-friendly". So I can either provide a nice stereo patch with left / right hard panned, or I can just provide a single input on smaller stages. I don't use big crazy ping-pong delays, or wildly separated modulation effects, so this isn't an issue.

Above all, take notes along the way. That's where you will develop a better sense of how your system behaves between your home and the stage. I went from "brand new AxeFX owner" to "on tour with my brand new AxeFX" in less than two weeks. I knew it was going to be a quick immersion, so I had an aggressive game plan for getting familiar with the system.

Well... the title say enough.
No matter what kind of amp or cab and setting for the tone...
Just... say... better mono or stereo... or pan hard/not so hard left/right... or push some mids... or no more of the X% wet reverb... and everything of your knowledge and experiences playing LIVE direct to the board!
Rock on ppl :devilish:

Take an IR of the real cab you are using when using the 4cm. That way the sound through the FOH is the same as your stage sound (which is the sound your trying to achieve). Additionally, live tweaks will properly translate to the FOH. If you DON'T do this, when you brighten up your sound on stage, you may be inadvertently creating a thin or piercing sound out front, which of course you can't hear.

Don't get into a pissing match with the sound person. Chances are you and others around you will lose.

That's a good one, saw a friends band play a few weeks ago, and the drummer got into it with the sound guy... the drummer was correct in this case, but as he walked away, the sound guy mumbled, "f with me and i'll go home".

This is what I do
1. Get patches sounding great alone and with backing tracks on studio monitors
2. Make a few final tweaks through PA at the gig

- In cab block:
Low cut at 100
High-cut at 6500-7500 (to taste)
Saves tons of headaches.

- Keep a DI unless you run your own sound. Soundmen can be clueless.
- dial presets at gig volume
- get yor gain where you like t and subtract 1. This will help being heard in the mix
- make sure your delays verbs etc don't have any phase issues (2290 defaults out of phase)

The biggest issue I find is getting the levels right between patches. I have my MFC set so I can quickly boost or cut the main out levels using "reveal" and foot switches 4 and 5 (which practically limits me to 3 scenes but that's another story). At sound check I run through the patches at gig volume with the band to ensure relative volume levels are ok. The biggest difference I find are that higher gain sounds get lost more readily in the mix requiring boost relative to practice/backtrack levels and more vintage tones (eg, fender twin) cut through more aggressively, and often require reduction. The presence of people in a room also sometimes changes the relative mix - usually for the better in my experience.

I get the general tones I need for the band, then roughly level them with a dB meter. Then I tweak them by ear because that's what matters. It is hugely helpful in not driving the FOH/monitor guys crazy, or spiking your compadres with volume through the in-ear monitors.

Odd rule, what sounds awesome by itself at home is always too bassy to make it through a live mix. I have learned to make it a touch edgier than sounds "good" when tweaking... always seems to come out right with the band.

Make use of the Out 1 & 2 in a live setting, with Out 1 going to FOH and Out 2 feeding your FRFR monitor. It is awesome to be able to adjust your volume without having to bend down to the monitor or affecting the audience mix. Great advantage of the AFX II setup.

Practice. Practice as a band. Practice. And, oh yeah... did I mention practicing? Though I never seem to have enough time to practice, every second practicing pays off somewhere. That includes practicing the operation and setting of your gear.

Trust your sound person. If you can't, replace him/her. If you can't do either, and you're not ready to quit, let it go. No one plays well with their panties in a wad.

TNX to all the ppl for sharing knowledge.

to UnsungHeroGuitars I say: Yep... i know...there are many variables... (PA, location, more or less listeners, and many many others) and don't need you cover all of them.... just 3 or 4 tips you use the most!

The more the experiences we put here the more the variables we can cover!

My tip is: if in the band there is a second guitar that run mono... so run the Axe mono too. This coz the second guitar will be more "focused" and you will need to much volume to steal the scene!

to UnsungHeroGuitars I say: Yep... i know...there are many variables... (PA, location, more or less listeners, and many many others) and don't need you cover all of them.... just 3 or 4 tips you use the most!

Just to clarify, I wasn't being flippant my friend, I just know that our particular set up is wildly different to so many people that it goes beyond what most would consider or bother with!
smile.gif

We use two Axe FXs live - one for each guitarist and each running stereo but with a left or right bias most of the time and automated panning (sequencer control) for lone parts, dual parts, solos etc to maintain separation, yet put the lead instrument front and centre when necessary. That is reflected in the in-ear set up too - no 'traditional' backline or monitors whatsoever.

We have a digital desk with full recording of all the individual mics and instruments - this is priceless when building new patches to see how they work with the band mix. Full playback without the need for the whole band to be there!

We also run fully self contained through our rack, mixer and PA - entirely consistent every night with no 'sound guy issues'. Again, I work up new patches through the full rig.

thumbsup.gif

I was lucky enough to have the Studio Engineer who mixed and mastered my bands album do an IR of my recorded album tone. We even re-recorded over a section of a song using the IR vs the Tube 6505+ and A/B'd it - the difference was negligible! It sounded so close that we were both blown away! So I use this as my FOH tone. We have 2 PA's and 4 passive monitors at my rehearsal space, so I plug OUT1 into a channel on the PA to get a rough idea of what it's going to sound like prior to a show. My OUT2 goes through my Matrix gt800 and into my Mesa DR 4x12. It's sweet to be able to turn my stage volume up without messing with the sound guy's levels out front. Another thing I like to do is to walk out front during the sound check (wireless!) to see what the whole band sounds like. IF needed, I'll just let the sound guy know "more mids/highs/etc" instead of changing my patches. It took a little getting used to the set up at gigs, but now it's pretty quick to get the whole thing going.

Once I've set my stage level set through my FRFR wedge, I like to turn it OFF for the initial soundcheck (when the soundguy calls for me to play alone for a minute). That way I can hear what's really coming out of the FOH.

Back
Top Bottom