The Uke of Death!

Another one from the archives.....

Yes indeed, just when you thought it couldn't get any Stranger....... Here's a story about an Uke & the Strange Ranger.

My friend Sean Bohannon owned a really neat little music store in Arcata California, called Wildwood Music. Sean had over 100 vintage Ukulele in his personal collection. Somewhere along the way a Hawaiian fellow brought Sean a partially built Uke that his brother had been making before his sudden passing.
Sean had this unfinished Uke around for about 15 years before asking me if I had any interest in putting it together. He made it very clear that it wasn't a priority, so it got shelved here at my shop as a side project. Then Sean Bohannon passed away! :oops: RIP brothers!

Was it simply because both of these men were at the end of their ropes? Or was it 'The Uke of Death'!!!?????

Was this Uke damned??? or had I seen The Brady Bunch 'Hawaii Bound' one too many times as a kid where Peter and Bobby find a cursed Tiki? lol
Well, the world may never know for sure. However, if there's one way to lift the curse from a doomed Uke, I believe it would be to complete the instrument so that it may sing. It was pretty clear that I must be the one to lift such a curse. ;)

So w/ a little carbon fiber in the neck & some Brazilian Rosewood scraps, I got this little Uke built up & playing really nicely.
The Uke has since been gifted to my friend since kindergarten. He was warned of the Uke's past & accepted the responsibility.
Now a Lieutenant Colonel in the US Marines, LT. Col. Conlon (AKA - Strange Ranger) would be the proud caretaker of the Uke of Death..............for now.

Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_3423.JPG
    IMG_3423.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_3434.JPG
    IMG_3434.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_3429.JPG
    IMG_3429.JPG
    844.3 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_3432.JPG