The Trumpet Challenge (TTC)

What do you think about a possible trumpet patch?

• Total voters

IronMan

The violin patch is awesome but wouldn't it be kick-ass to have a trumpet patch as well? I think with the help of this community we might be able to create one. There are a lot of experienced people here who might solve a few pieces to the puzzle.

I have found a thesis which explains how to model a trumpet and also the IR has been recorded. Maybe Cliff, Jay or someone else can see whether this would actually be possible with the Axe-Fx. If someone can reconstruct the IR of the thesis and create a syx file of it, we would already be one step closer. I think the tail of the trumpet can be modelled with a resonator but I'm not quiet sure.

The complete thesis is viewable here:
http://ccrma.stanford.edu/~jos/HornMode ... pulse.html

I voted "no opinion" as it seems to me that dedicated synth engines are the way forward for this kind of thing. Kind of reminds me of the division between those that want their mobile phones to play music and those that are happy having mp3 players around for that job. :|

Fikealox said:
I'd be more excited about a sax patch, but a trumpet patch would be cool too.

If a trumpet patch is possible (and finished), the step to a sax might be a lot easier. Sax is cool though!

Stringtheorist said:
I voted "no opinion" as it seems to me that dedicated synth engines are the way forward for this kind of thing. Kind of reminds me of the division between those that want their mobile phones to play music and those that are happy having mp3 players around for that job. :|

True, in some extent this is indeed a waste of time. I just like experimenting and seeing what the Axe is capable of doing.

In the mean-time I've created the first impulse. I don't have any fancy programs so I just drawed this by hand in Audacity. There are probably a lot of better ways to realize this but I'm a nitwit in that area.

trumpet.jpg

What I'm wondering, the thesis also describes a response tail. Would it be better to add this tail with a resonator or in the impulse itself?

Note: Rename the attached .RAR file to .WAV

Attachments

• trumpet.rar
    8 KB · Views: 44
I personally think its a great idea.
It a very cool way to learn about sound and sound production.
All study like this will pay you back 10 fold in your music and guitar playing.
A few more reasons:
To learn physic's of sound.
To learn about effects and the art of EQ.
To understand musical styles and how different instruments work.
To learn what you guitar is capable of.
To learn what music you are capable of playing.
To be different.
To have fun.
To entertain.
I could fill the page!

I do a series for Electro-Harmonix called "Effectology" and the above is was what I hope to spread around the community.

The AXE-FX WILL do what ever you learn to make it do!
Good luck.
Bill Ruppert

Ironman,

That's an interesting thing, but it sounds nothing like a trumpet to me. First, I think that you need to play notes higher up on the neck of the guitar and/or on the thinner strings to demonstrate it more accurately. A trumpet doesn't play notes down that low, so it's hard to compare right from the start.

browlett said:
Ironman,

That's an interesting thing, but it sounds nothing like a trumpet to me. First, I think that you need to play notes higher up on the neck of the guitar and/or on the thinner strings to demonstrate it more accurately. A trumpet doesn't play notes down that low, so it's hard to compare right from the start.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

So true, it doesn't sound like a trumpet. I was hoping that people here might help a little ;). I have a lot of difficulty of creating the sound and I can tweak like a madman but I was hoping to do it in a more scientific way. It doesn't really help that I'm a total nitwit in that area :mrgreen:

A little more on topic. I have a lot of difficulty to get rid of the smooth synth-like sound. I have no idea whether this is actually possible with the current synth block.

Back
Top Bottom