The time has come to have G2 AMP Modeling (TM) and MIMIC (TM) in the ULTRA/STANDARD ?

PALYGAP

Experienced
WARNING: This is some wild thinking.

Now that the G2 Amp Modeling™ with Virtual Vacuum Tube ™ Technology and MIMIC™ in the AXE II is so damn fu***** good, it would be cool if that technology could be transferred to the ULTRA/STANDARD. OK there isn't maybe enough CPU power to do that. But maybe if only the AMP/CAB modeling part would be transferred (no FXs) that might be feasible.

I still have an AXE-FX Ultra that I initially kept for testing with my MidyAX project. I am thinking of selling it. If it had the new AMP modeling of the AXE 2 in it, I think it might give it more selling potential.

It's good to dream.:D

While it seems like the Ultra might have enough power to run a basic G2 single-amp single-cab patch, it's an officially discontinued item, and it doesn't make much sense for them to put the time into that kind of a firmware revision. It also doesn't make much business sense to give the Ultra the same quality amp modeling as the Axe-FX II, even if it does gimp everything else. I've definitely had a similar thought, though, as I still have my Ultra.

From what I have read it would take the entire DSP just to run 1 amp model. I dont think most people would be happy with 1 amp model and no effects being available!

From what I have read it would take the entire DSP just to run 1 amp model.
One dsp run 2 amp and 2 cabs, the other dsp take care of all the fx.
If there is enough memory, is possible that an Ultra run G2 as amp emulator only, or run fx only (2 distinct firmware).

I dont think most people would be happy with 1 amp model and no effects being available!
You don't have to update... As far as I remember tube amps have no effects in them (no effects like we're used in AxeFX), but they still sell good.

They already did this as much as they could with the last firmware release for the Standard/Ultra. From the release notes for firmware 11.00:

Updated power amp emulation. Uses some of the techniques from the Axe-Fx II. This produces tighter, more defined bass and also less flubiness when using high MV settings.

The Ultra is already unbelievable.
Let it be!!!

I agree, I think especially with after market Ir's and blending. It just takes a little more time, research and effort. It would be cool if someone was able to get the axefx 2 amps to work with the ultra.

I am also very satisfied with my Ultra. ! If I have problems with flubbyness , I normally set lo cut to 150hz or higher and lower Depth and/or Master.

It would be fantastic though, If FAS would make a FW update with new algorithms for effects only, like Wah, Rotary and Reverb.(wich have been improved since FW11)

This update should of course not be for free ! But I am sure that we are many Ultra owners who gladly would pay for this.

I think they are as future proof as they can be. The Axe FX Gen 1 is a mature product, like a good tube amp it is complete. If you want more of what the Axe II can offer, then the only real way to go, is just to get the Axe II. I was lucky to get my Ultra early enough where I got a lot of firmware upgrades from it and it was fun and made the Ultra better, but now it is mature, and it sounds amazing. If I ever want something else, then I will save up money and get the II. But I am quite happy with my Ultra and the fact that it is stable. But that's just me. Would it be cool to have another firmware upgrade? Yes, but it is just not going to happen. But in a sense, it already did, that's called the Axe II.

Well I suggest you GEN1 guys get Ozone and tone match your own IRs because honestly you can make them sound almost identical. Sure the feel is different and it's a pain in the ass only having 10 IR slots but definitely worth it!!!!!

FAS doesn't sell GEN1 Axe-Fxs anymore so why would they invest money on a new firmware?

Advertising for Axefx II.
Help mother Earth (we don't need to trash a gen1).

Eq-ing gen1 does not lead to a "real" tube amp sound. The politness/smoothness is the DNA of firmware emulation. Cliff have an epiphany and discover how hard-clip moves around the note... I don't know if it is possible to have the entire new modelling in gen1, but as an ex-programmer I told is possible to lighter heavy process against accuracy expenses.

Back
Top Bottom