THE T.AMP

ML SOUND LAB

Cab Pack Wizard
Vendor
I couldn't find any topics with these power amps so: would the T.AMP series be a good match with the Axe-Fx. It's the cheapest solution at least and right now I'm trying to save some cash but would love to use a guitar cab with my Axe-Fx.

http://www.thomann.de/fi/the_tamp_e800.htm

I know it's not Studio Linear but is the difference that BIG?!

Thanks in advance guys!

Hi Clark!
I don't know the E800 but we use 2 TA-2000, which seem to be pretty old. Almost no info on the inet. I guess they put out 2x1000W at 4Ohm and 600W at 8Ohm each (don't know really, sorry).
So we use them for our PA-system at rehearsal and used it live, too.
They are powerful and I have no complaints about the sound. Only annoying thing is that they blow the fuse almost everytime (9/10) at power on. :roll: But that shouldn't be an issue with the newer ones I hope. ;)

Sorry, but I haven't tried with guitar cabs.

Micha

Hi Clark,

I used the E800 to amplify my AxeFx. I.M.O. it is excellent value for money.
They definitely have enough power to kill your ears while still providing enough headroom. It might depend on your speaker’s impedance but they drive a 4x12 guitar cab well.
I had no problems regarding reliability until now. It has all modern safety circuits and the fan is not noisy. It is quite heavy though.
The sound - I could not compare it to an Art-SLA. We have some other (more powerful) T.AMP ProLine power amps and I did not notice any differences to the E800. Bass players reported that it has some problems with very low frequencies.
Now I run the AxeFx through a SeymourDuncan KT-2100 (2x100 KT88 Tube Power). At first I was a bit disappointed that the difference is so small. The tube pa just sounds a bit more “open” the E800 sounds tighter. Perhaps the highs sound a bit more “tamed” by the tubes (?). I prefer the tube pa but I am not sure if it is just nostalgia, and if I could really tell the difference in a double blind test.

Thanks for the input guys!

I've got no experience with rack gear so this will be my first rack power amp. If my guitar cab is 240watts into 8ohms will I destroy it with the E800 since it's 800W into 8 Ohms? My concern is that if I turn the volume too high will I burn down our rehearsal space? :lol:

I think it is not very likely that you would destroy your speakers - you will rather destroy your ears. You need some headroom with SS-amps so I think it would be fine. I used a 2x12 120 W 4 Ohm cab with it and I never had problems. You can use one channel only. I think it sounds a bit better than bridged mode. If you want do run the E800 in bridged mode you need a 4 connectors speakon-plug and you have to connect the second wire to 2-1.

Back
Top Bottom