The Sad News in the Music Industry Continues - Gord Downie

No.

Goddammit Gord is legend and a national treasure.

Now this year is really hitting close to home (figuratively and literally).

We went to see The Hip in San Francisco last year and it was the smallest venue I've seen them in in maybe 20 years. Fantastic night. Gord was in total form.

Courage, Gord. It couldn't come at a worst time.

That night in Toronto
With its chicken board floors
Riding on horseback
And keeping order restored

Poetry.

I think you could stop any Canadian on the street and they'd be able to recite the lyrics from at least one Hip tune.

This news is painful. Gord is a real poet and one of a kind individual. How absolutely beautiful that he is choosing to spend a portion of his priceless remaining time playing shows and sharing music. A gift for us all.

I'm not the world's biggest Hip fan but they have been a constant presence and influence almost as long as I can remember. This band's whole is so much greater than the sum of it's parts. No virtuosos, but together they have this indefinable magic that binds and resonates true Canadianism more than any other group. They are rock stars on a big stage, but somehow they always seem like neighbors, friends, brothers. You can feel the bonding Canadiana effect just covering their songs in a bar, and it's overwhelming when you see them in concert. I think you have to live here to 'get it'.

I hope everyone goes to see them this summer. There is no Hip without Gord.

I've only seen them live once, at the Juno awards in 2011 but love several of their songs. Lets hope for a Wilko Johnson miracle recovery.

I remember staying up late to watch that SNL! :D

They look like kids. And sound fantastic. Gord's stage presence hasn't changed over the years, that's for sure. Hmm...maybe it's gotten a little weirder.

And man, c'mon, tell me these lyrics aren't as relevant as ever! Gord's a lyrical genius:

The secret rules of engagement are hard to endorse
When the appearance of conflict meets the appearance of force
But I can guarantee, there'll be no knock on the door
I'm total pro here, that's what I'm here for

Also, are we like the three or four CAD Fractal forumites talking among ourselves here?

Some fine Canadiana storytelling right here.. Gord, Ricky, Bubbles, Julian... Don Cherry... and the cats who outsmart everyone.

Ricky: "Two buckets of chicken and a drive to the liquor store"
Gord: "DEAL!"

Yes, you have to be Canadian.

When the bad news broke last week I loaded a playlist of Tragically Hip hits songs to listen to as "My music at Work"
Got to At The Hundredth Meridian and the lyrics seemed to be bad omen/self prophesy. I picture Gord Downie having a few emotional moments on their up coming likely farewell tour.

If I die of vanity, promise me, promise me
If they bury me some place I don't want to be
You'll dig me up and transport me, unceremoniously
Away from the swollen city breeze, garbage bag trees
Whispers of disease and the acts of enormity
And lower me slowly and sadly and properly
Get Ry Cooder to sing my eulogy

At the hundredth meridian (hundredth meridian)
At the hundredth meridian (you're going to miss me)
At the hundredth meridian (trust me)

George Stroumboulopoulos is looking back at 30 years of the Tragically Hip tonight. Four hours of amazing Canadian bands covering one amazing Canadian band on his radio show tonight on CBC Radio 2: http://www.cbcmusic.ca/radio2

It's just allergies. I swear. <sniff>

Noooooooooo That sucks!!!! They are a staple here in western Ny. Grew up with them cats. Great guys, Gord touched us all. What the crap. Why is this happening to our people? So much loss this past year and more to come. :(

Back
Top Bottom