The Right Factory Presets?

Twister

I'm starting to wonder what random changes I might have made to factory presets when I was first fumbling around with my Axe-FX III. I want to restore those presets, but I'm not sure what the right choice might be.

I'm running FW 5.00b2. Are the 1.07 Factory Presets still the right way to go, or are they somehow not a good fit with the new firmware?

Many thanks!

I'm starting to wonder what random changes I might have made to factory presets when I was first fumbling around with my Axe-FX III. I want to restore those presets, but I'm not sure what the right choice might be.

I'm running FW 5.00b2. Are the 1.07 Factory Presets still the right way to go, or are they somehow not a good fit with the new firmware?

Many thanks!
THose are the latest for now, and sound great with 5b2 I think it’s a good idea to reinstall .

I agree with bradlake, if you want to get back to scratch.

Do keep in mind, though, that the "Factory Presets", while a great starting point, are not necessarily the "best" way a particular arrangement of gear "should" be set up. They are not "Defaults" to fall back on. They are a great demo of what the capabilities of the rig are, and are what sounded good to that preset designer (Cliff, I presume), on that day.

I nearly always keep a copy of the first Factory bank on my rig, for a reference to work from, and to refer back to, if I feel like I may be getting "too far from home". However, I rarely keep it "stock", in the presets that I actually use. For my purposes, I keep that bank copied at the end of my presets, sort of as a reference library. Other times, I delete all the Factory Preset banks, and just pull in the specific presets I want to fiddle about with. It's easy to put the Factory Banks back, or to delete them - takes about 5 or 10 minutes (well, maybe 15...)

As time goes on, and you get more familiar, you may find some "go-to" changes that you might prefer on all "your" presets. These might be EQ, low- or high-cut, delay times, tube hardness or type, etc. Don't be afraid to try different stuff. You can ALWAYS get the Factory presets back, if you want to get back to square one.

Also, it sounds like you've got a handle on this, but be aware that what sounded so-so in a previous Firmware, may sound mind-blowingly great in another firmware, and vice-versa. As an example, some of factory presets that I previously was not overly excited about, that didn't fit into my style, now sound wonderful, when I revisited them with the current firmware.

Be sure to backup your existing presets with FractalBot, if you think you may want them back. As far as I know, once you delete them, they're gone, unless you have a backup.

If you have room in your presets, copy one of the Factory banks, and compare it to your "adjusted" presets, to see which you prefer.

After several firmware updates, how does one go back to a newly acquired AFX3 setting. I want to start clean. Also, will I still have room for the Austin Buddy Naked pack if I do this?

After several firmware updates, how does one go back to a newly acquired AFX3 setting. I want to start clean. Also, will I still have room for the Austin Buddy Naked pack if I do this?
Go to wikifractalaudio.com
Then go to the Firmware tab... you'll see the link in there

More trying to keep the current firmware and reset all the presets. And hoping I would still have enough room for the Austin Buddy pack.
When I installed the AB pack, I ended up overwriting the bank C presets. There are not enough preset spaces to fit all 3 banks and the AB pack.

Double check on this..
I am pretty sure, I can go through preset banks A,B,C... eliminate presets you dont prefer to make room. I also think you can consolidate presets into available scenes. If you have 3 presets with only two scenes each, you could move everything into a single preset with 6 scenes.
I haven't gone through this process, but I remember some advice like this... definitely confirm that.

Back
Top Bottom