The Return of the Son of Oops, I Did It Again, Again, Again, Etc., and So Forth, Ad infinitum....

Joe Bfstplk

Legend!
20221204_134147_0.jpg

Musician's Friend "Stupid Deal of the Day" sometime last week. For $79, how could I pass it up? Have been thinking of taking spare guitar parts and getting a piece of wood and building one for a number of years, but I'd probably spend more than $79 on a piece of hardwood to build it from, these days....

That is a very cool looking piece of wood with strings 🤘

Sometimes I question myself why play an 8 string, if I only use 3 strings? Like, why all the wood and weight, if its not needed anyway.

Cheers

Edit: or are you referring to the piece of wood on the sofa?

How's it sound and play?

Plays good. Just arrived today, so tuning, putting "Guitar Grease" and "Big Bends Nut Sauce" in places where it helps things move smoothly, doing the set-up. Had to adjust the saddle heights a little to get them more or less even. It's a top-loader style bridge, but also has the holes in the baseplate to put in the string-thru like a hardtail Strat or a Tele. That may happen at some future time. First order of biz is to get longer screws for the plates the legs screw into. They used pickguard screws. Needs to be 3/4" or 1" long screws for that, as there's leverage there. Probably going to stuff the extra Wilde/Lawrence L45S pickup in it, since I have it lying around. Will likely shield the inside of the pickup/control compartment with copper foil when I do. Ordered some 10-46 Broadways from Stringjoy for it, since it's only 22" scale, and we'll see how it goes. Maybe it'll get 11s next time. Dunno. This is a completely new instrument for me. Starting to learn to play "Breathe" by Pink Floyd. Em tuning (same for "One of These Days", apparently)....

Love the numbered stickers/fret markers!

It's a plate that's screwed onto the wood, with the fret markers molded in and the tops chromed for readability. Amazon shows the same one for $144.99, or in midnight blue for $159.99, so $79.99 was a no-brainer....

That is a very cool looking piece of wood with strings 🤘

Sometimes I question myself why play an 8 string, if I only use 3 strings? Like, why all the wood and weight, if its not needed anyway.

Cheers

Edit: or are you referring to the piece of wood on the sofa?

The one on my office chair is the newby.

Cool! What's goin on with that tele in the background?

The one on the green chair is the Tele body I got a while back, in the middle of the finishing process. Just got the 1000 grit and sanding block to smooth out the finish before wiping on a few more coats of Tru-Oil. Then it'll sit for a bit, while I ream out the tuning peg holes on the neck for the Steinberger 40:1 tuning machines that it's getting....

got one a few years ago and put JB JR replacement pickup. great improvement.

enjoy

Nice! The spare L45S is likely going to make an appearance somewhere down the road. The body's routed for a full-size humbucker, but the plate that has the controls and pickup is set up for a Strat-ish single coil. Anything that's decent-sounding and hum cancelling will do the job, I suspect. Plenty of options for gaining it up in the Fractal realm, so a clean hum-cancelling single can work nicely, and I don't have to spend any more $ on anything, since it is coming out of the spare parts inventory.... :)

Back
Top Bottom