The REAL reason tubes are better that solid state

GM Arts

Fractal Fanatic
This cracked me up, from Wikipedia, a quote below that basically explains that tubes are better than transistors becuase musicians can replace their own tubes, but transistors need a technician. To be fair, it then goes on to talk about the different overdrive qualities.

Here's the link:
Guitar amplifier - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And here's the quote:

Tube amps have the following technical advantages over solid-state amps. Compared to semiconductors, tubes have a very low "drift" (of specs) over a wide range of operating conditions, specifically high heat/high power. Semiconductors are very heat-sensitive by comparison and this fact usually leads to compromises in solid-state amplifier designs. When a tube fails, it is replaceable. While solid state devices are also replaceable, it is usually a much more involved process (i.e., having the amplifier tested by a professional, removing the faulty component, and replacing it).

For working musicians this is usually a huge problem by comparison to looking in the back of a tube amp at the tubes and simply replacing the faulty tube. In addition, tubes can easily be removed and tested, while transistors cannot.

I prefer jackets with zippers over jackets with buttons.
Despite how much easier it is to replace a button (assuming you can find one that nicely matches), zippers are just easier and rarely need replacement.

...unless you're using one of those cheap zippers that always gets stuck... I do like high-quality zippers....

Back
Top Bottom