The preamp compression (formerly CF compression) parameter is incredible!

I am one of the Axe II users Cliff alluded to in the fw20b1 release notes, who didn't understand cathode follower compression. As a result, I hardly ever touched the parameter (if it all).

However, I have started to use it with this latest firmware. I would advise anyone who isn't familiar with this parameter to spend a few minutes experimenting with it using different amp models.

It can make a real difference to the feel of certain amps. Using the Vox AC30TB model with preamp compression at around 75% is amazing. That was the only tone I've struggled to get from the Axe II. It feels 'bouncy'.

The Axe FX II is the single greatest amp(s) I've ever owned. Every day is a fun school day.

I'm pretty new to the Axe FX but this parameter (when it was called CF Comp) was always something that helped the amp feel and sound like it was cranked into its sweet spot. With it set to 0 some of the amps didn't seem right, especially amps I'm familiar with. I think the JCM 800 defaulted to 70% or something... which explains why I couldn't stop playing it when I first got the Axe FX... I haven't practiced this much in... ever. I've even stopped working out as much as I used to so I can practice. Not really a bad thing.

Back
Top Bottom