The Power of a Drive Block and Audio Drop Elimination

Yet another way to get a sound without a dropout! Great video!

One thing I was wondering, are those tone knobs like traditional amp EQ? I was a bit worried that goosing the treble so much would boost the very high end treble unnaturally.

Last edited:
Yet another way to get a sound without a dropout! Great video!

One thing I was wondering, are those tone knobs like traditional amp EQ? I was a bit worried that goosing the treble so much would boost the very high end treble unnaturally.

Yeah don't be afraid of them. The tone knob and the treble sort of compliment each other. The mid as well as frequency selection can be used to really warm things up or remove offending frequencies. Just watch that you don't clip anything. Sometimes you won't hear it, but your AX8 may be red-lighting. I try to always keep that from happening even if there aren't any blatant clipping artifacts.

Odin's beard! I wish I knew how you got your pinch harms to sounds so wicked!

It all depends on the stuff you choose. The pinch harms using the shred drive won't hit as hard as say the ruckus or something more tube oriented.

One of the reasons I use the 800 MOD is because it brings them out more. Also in my van halen patch I've shared....the amp I chose for that accentuates pinch harms just like Eddie's sound did in real life.

Having the right 12AX7 front end along with the right amp (in our case the right modeled amp) and the pinches really lash out.

But there IS a difference between the tube pinches and the transistor sounding ones. Fractal (and I'm not saying this because I'm biased) is one of only 3 modeling companies that have 12AX7 tube sounds down IMHO.

It's not been easy for people to cop from what I've heard. Those that claimed they nailed it, didn't pass my tests. Not that I'm important lol...but I look for certain characteristics. Fractal gave me just what I needed for the tube tone I look for.

I got a video somewhere of about 4 guitar tones showing the basics of how to tweak them. You know....one of those "what to listen for" videos. And in it, I show the transistor pinch harms and tube pinches so you can hear the differences.

I posted it on here before I believe in hopes of helping people sort of learn what to listen for in a guitar tone. Of course tone will always be subjective but for those just learning how to.tame the guitar beast, it's a pretty cool video to give a general idea. I can look for it if you want?

@Danny Danzi Very cool video and idea but when I first saw it all I could think "this is gonna sound like a swarm of bees." That's because I'm thinking about this one guy that used to play in our praise band did that very thing. He had a overdrive pedal running right into a DI box, no cab sim. anywhere and of course it was awful. LOL

What is audio drop?

A small interruption or slight delay in sound when switching patches.

@Danny Danzi Very cool video and idea but when I first saw it all I could think "this is gonna sound like a swarm of bees." That's because I'm thinking about this one guy that used to play in our praise band did that very thing. He had a overdrive pedal running right into a DI box, no cab sim. anywhere and of course it was awful. LOL

Haha I so know what you mean! Like plugging into a stomp box and recording direct or through a console.....the worst sound ever! I did a little better than that, didn't I? (Hopeful)

Like plugging into a stomp box and recording direct or through a console.....the worst sound ever! I did a little better than that, didn't I? (Hopeful)

Do we need to remind ourselves, some of the most famous guitar tones that were recorded that way (usually sans the stomp box though) ;)

Last edited:
Cool video! I have been doing something similar for an AX8 preset that has separate (guitar w/amp and cab sims (on Left chanel) and bass w/comp, drive, eq (on Right chanel) signal chains.

That's an old thread, sir! :)

Off topic - the guy calls C "my goofy tuning", or refers to it, as if it was something "weird". This is weird :D

On topic - I allways preferred to experiment with stripped-down to drive block clean tones, saving amp block for "normal" drives. Makes bit more sense for live situation. It works for me flawlessly, when I don't mind having just a simple clean tone from drive block for intro, and seamless kick in of regular amp tone when it's needed. Same principle - compressor, SDD pre, level control in scenes. As OP showed here - everything is possible, with a bit of tweaking.

Last edited:
Thanks for the video! How about when you choose another preset? How much of lag between presets?

Curious on how you got those tones from just a drive block and cab. Did you do a lot of tweeks to the drive and cab settings? Can you post one of the presets?

Back
Top Bottom