The peavey classic 50 50 poweramp works really well with the axe!

farrakon

Inspired
Just wanted to share my experience. I was using the axe fx just as a preamp and effects processor through the peavey classic power amp and while it sounded cool there was something missing from where i ran it through my 5150 head. Even with using the prescence and resonance at 1 o clock there was punch and in your face missing. So i decided to turn the power amp sims on and BOOM. Without cab sims off of course and the controls at 0 for the prescence and resonance onat the peavey classic and volume at 5. Now it sounds as if goinh through the 5150. Brooootal.

I set the sag to minimum .04 and the damp and depth at noon. As for the preamp i activate the brightness in the treble knob but not the boost in the type knob.

Those are the main things i discovered that set with this poweramp .... sound incredible! All else is about tweaking to your liking. Ooohhh and the thump i leave at 0 for use with this power amp.

Apparently this poweramp is linear enough to run the axe with the oower sims on... and since is a. Tube power amp theres enough headroom.

Ill try to post some clips.

Tried this with same settings on different models and sound pretty accurate and plain awesome aaand more important.... different.

Not as many say that they all sound the same...

Last edited:
Apparently this poweramp is linear enough to run the axe with the oower sims on... and since is a. Tube power amp theres enough headroom.
This makes sense to me. 50W of power per side on a stereo power amp, you'd have to run it damn loud to get it to work hard enough that you would want to turn off the Axe power amp sims, I would think. I'm using an SS power amp (power amp sims on obviously) and it sounds really great but I've been considering picking up a tube power amp to A/B for fun and if I do, I'm expecting to keep the power amp in the linear region, too, so will operate with power sims on first.

yeah but you'd have to be careful with tube power amps since most have a voicing and adding the axe sim on top sounds bloated. It would have to be a power amp that can be considered linear or have the option of controlling the resonance and presence... such as most SS amps. I dont know if the tube type has anything to do with it but using 6l6 power amps would color the sound. The peavey classic 50 50 is 8 el84 tubes and is bridgeable.

yeah but you'd have to be careful with tube power amps since most have a voicing and adding the axe sim on top sounds bloated. It would have to be a power amp that can be considered linear or have the option of controlling the resonance and presence... such as most SS amps. I dont know if the tube type has anything to do with it but using 6l6 power amps would color the sound. The peavey classic 50 50 is 8 el84 tubes and is bridgeable.

Acutally, using an amplifier with 6L6 output tubes would not, in itself "color" the tone. You could have an amp designed with EL84 output tubes (or even a SS design) that could "color" the tone. It is the amplifier design as a whole that can result in "coloring" the tone. There are many good flat response amps on the market that utilize 6L6 output tubes (Atomic Reactor 50/50 being only one example).

Last edited:
If they only sold a 100 watt mono uncolored 6l6 tube power amp... that would be awesome. But I guess Ill stay with my peavey classic for a while. (sold the axe ultra and gonna get me the axe II)

Awesome! I now have the axe II and the peavey continues to be the poweramp for it for me! I dont know about the 60 since it uses 6l6 tubes and mine isnt the el34 version but the el84 version. I keep the presence and reso rolled off and use the poweramp models.... its a back braker but i love it. Let me know if it works for you too.

Yes il works very well...
I use it with a couple of Dragoon 2x 12 and the sound is great!
If you turn off amp sim it sounds "thin" but with amp sim on it really kicks!

Nice! I run my Ultra through a 2:90 with the modern voicing on and power amp sims on the Utra on with no thump and I love it. At 90 watts, I'm not even getting close to make those tubes work hard so the no thump works great for me. I think as long as you tweak with the power amp you play through (regardless if it's tube or solid-state) you'll be happy with the results.

Back
Top Bottom