The OS freezes over usb

Anton Karelin

Inspired
Hi.
Fractal bot and FM3 Edit are working fine. When I press the play button on YouTube in the Chrome browser, the entire system freezes. If the FM3 is turned off, the freezes stop.
Fractal FM3 firmware 6.0, Windows 10

my laptop only has 2.0 : запутался:
very possibly could be that then - fm3 edit would work fine but if i was attempting to do something on my daw it would freeze -taking the cable out of the laptop would make it work again. So i switched to a usb3 port and it was fine.
It never used to be like that and usb2 would be ok but I guess as processor become more intense and more data transfer USB2 isn't up to speed.

Hi.
Fractal bot and FM3 Edit are working fine. When I press the play button on YouTube in the Chrome browser, the entire system freezes. If the FM3 is turned off, the freezes stop.
Chrome is aware of USB connected devices unlike many other browsers. It’s possible that Chrome is contending with FM3-Edit for the connection to the modeler and doesn’t know how to handle rejection and crashes.

Look to see if you can disable its connection ability to USB devices, or use a different, non-Chrome-based browser, or don’t use it at the same time as Edit or Fractal-Bot.

Just a little anecdotal (with a good bit of real time experience) but I keep Chrome off all my systems. It is nothing but a deep pit of potential problems with workstation PC’s and all PC’s in general IMHO. Plus there is no need to have it. Screw Zoom!!

I seem to recall that Chrome "locks" midi when it's started...

I personally use Edge for work all day without issue - it's Chromium-based, anyway ;)

I seem to recall that Chrome "locks" midi when it's started...
We can use Chrome-based browsers to update Peterson’s tuners, which means they’re touching the USB connection.

That reminds me of the days when browsers were able to access files on the disk, which caused all sorts of privacy problems. I don’t want my browser to be able to touch anything except its little cache, unless I specifically give it a one-time access.

what browser are you using?
For Windows, Edge. Sometimes there’s a better mouse trap, sometimes the stuff that comes with the OS is best. Especially at this point in time. I use to be always trying the latest greatest software like anti virus. Here again I just use MS Security Suite. It’s free and will catch the 80% to 90% of stuff. I find that most of the really nasty malicious software comes from visiting sites that are part of the nasty part of town.😉 I found that this type of stuff is missed 75% of the time by the big AV suites. Combine that with the performance hit they put on your machine and they’re not worth it for me. I make sure to have a periodic backup (ghosted drive, etc.) in case of catastrophe. Oh and stay away from certain websites.

I understand that if you need to use your system for a work situation or just something beyond your control using Chrome is needed. My wife (until a recent retirement) was a teacher and then administrator of a high school. She had to have chrome because their lazy and mostly incompetent IT department had them using all the Google based online software/apps. Especially during the lockdown when Zoom was only thing that kept things sort of working. Anyway, her system was always goofy. I tried Chrome once and I can’t quite remember what it specifically did to my system that time, but it wasn’t good. Messed with my network stack or something like that. Too long ago.

You probably know better than me, but isn’t Chrome more Edgy based? I always thought Chrome just used Explorer’s code and played with it.
Chromium came from Google. It is open-source and Microsoft has become a large contributor and Edge is built on that base.

My computer has the same issue. It also freezes when I export a preset and it has to save over the previous version. Something about Win 10 just does not like the FM3. My old Axe II works fine. BTW, I use Firefox, not Chrome.

Does not depend on the browser! Freezes when the browser is closed! I tried other ports. It looks like the drivers for Windos 10 have problems.
By the way, we should try another cable. After all, 99% of the problems are in the cable ;)

Back
Top Bottom