The new ultimate poweramps for the AXE?

Penge

I think I am going to order one of these Matrix poweramps. The company has just relaunched itself and they are very highly regarded in the live music scene here in the UK. They don't mislead with unrealistic power ratings, and even the look is perfect with the white lettering, to go with the AXE. I just got my D&B Max 12 monitors, and I need a really good, light poweramp to go with them. I may even go with one of the ridiculously high powered 2U units. They look pretty promising. And they I have heard nothing but good reports with their previous lines. Could be the perfect match for the AXE

http://www.matrixamplification.com/inde ... mitstart=1

My ART SLA2 is good but heavy for a sad old fella like me with a bad back.

This is very light and must have a switchmode power supply. Penge, is this the one with the noisy fan? And if so, how noisy compared with a Mesa 20/20 fan (if you've ever heard one?)

fearlessflier said:
My ART SLA2 is good but heavy for a sad old fella like me with a bad back.

This is very light and must have a switchmode power supply. Penge, is this the one with the noisy fan? And if so, how noisy compared with a Mesa 20/20 fan (if you've ever heard one?)

I haven't actually tried the new Matrix amps yet, but I am sure they will be excellent. I understand they won't be out for a month and a half. They just announced the new amps a couple of weeks ago, and they look very interesting. The inventor has worked for B&W as well as several other amplifier companies. He is very well respected in the Audio and Touring communities. For now I settled on a used Lab Gruppen 4 channel. You can run 380 watts x4 into 8 ohms, or bridge two channels for 670 watts x2 into 8 ohms. It was developed for Eric Clapton's stage monitors. I suppose it weighs about 16 pounds, so not too unreasonable. Maybe a bit heavier than I wanted but it is very versatile. I just need to figure out how I want to use it. Active? Or Passive with lots of power? The fan actually has two speeds, so its ok when at low bedroom level, but kicks into high speed when cranked. I am very pleased with it. I haven't had a chance to play it loud yet but these amps are highly regarded as being clean and dependable. When the Matrix is available I will probably try it as I have one of those SKB floor boards with the three rack spaces, and it would be nice to just carry one box with everything in it, as well as the two wedges. The Lab Gruppen could then move over to band wedges, or front of house duties.
[attachment=0:3qkg03so]IMG_0141.jpeg[/attachment:3qkg03so]

Attachments

• IMG_0141.jpeg
    95.1 KB · Views: 284
Back
Top Bottom