The new Pedal Compressor is unbefreakinginglievable.

Matman

Power User
Anyone out there who isn't on 7.08 should jump at the chance to check out the new pedal compressor. This thing feels great.

Goodbye Vintage Ross.
Adios Orange Squeezer.
Rest in piece BiCompROSSer.

I am home.

The settings are different for every program I'm migrating it into.

They all just sound GREAT.

I've never been good with release settings on compressors. Everything else is totally fine, but I guess that's why I always preferred Keeley, DynaComp etc...and here we suddenly have the addition of....RELEASE :lol:

This would come at a time when I can't possibly touch my Axe-Fx for a firmware upgade :evil:

I'm a big comp guy, but I've yet to really dial in a Ross style sound I really liked. I've definately gotten useable sounds, but never exactly what I wanted. I can't wait to get my hands on this!

D

Try two of the new pedals in series a la Orange Squeezer+Ross... It's sweet!
I'm about to use the crossover and try a multiband pedal.

Matman said:
Try two of the new pedals in series a la Orange Squeezer+Ross... It's sweet!
I'm about to use the crossover and try a multiband pedal.
Isn't the 'Really Nice Compressor' using a similar technique ?

+1 on the new comp. Used it at a gig last night on my clean patches, fantastic. I parted ways with my Barber Tone Press and have missed it until now.

I thought I saw some suggested Attack and Release settings for the revised pedal comp. Another thread I guess? I've always been a bit confused w/ Attack and Release settings. Usually just monkey around till it sounds good. Looking forward to doing the monkey w/ the new pedal comp model. Up till now just been using the studio comp on my cleans.

TonyGring said:
I thought I saw some suggested Attack and Release settings for the revised pedal comp. Another thread I guess? I've always been a bit confused w/ Attack and Release settings. Usually just monkey around till it sounds good. Looking forward to doing the monkey w/ the new pedal comp model. Up till now just been using the studio comp on my cleans.

...this is what Cliff typed in the version 7.08 firmware thread:

"To emulate the Dynacomp set the Attack to 6 and the Release to 4. There's a lot of variation in those old pedals but that's a good starting point. Set the Detect type to RMS. The Axe-Fx compressor can do a little more sustain than the Dynacomp. I think around 8 on the Axe-Fx is max on the Dynacomp."

I'm confused. I'm reeeeeaaaaallly bad at dialing in a compressor to begin with. But after loading up 7.08, and just switching one of my patches with compressor from "studio" to "pedal", it just got a whole lot louder. No immediate magic, no "ah-ha!" moment, no illumination. Like I said, I'm bad at dialing in a compressor. I couldn't dial one in if my life depended on it.

But (a) is this the new compressor pedal you're all talking about, just switching the compressor from "studio" to "pedal" mode? Or is there a "different" new pedal compressor?

... and (b), sample settings please?

Thanks,
Daniel

It's a change to the existing pedal model, so you're on the right track.

Not at the AFX atm, but here are some things you can do to explore the pedal.

- Use a CLEAN amp. The Blackface, Eggie, Top Boost, or Soldano are my personal favs.

- Set the sustain at about 6.5
- Adjust level to taste.

- Compare:
FAST ATTACK (9) FAST RELEASE (9)
FAST ATTACK (9) SLOW RELEASE (2)
SLOW ATTACK (3) SLOW RELEASE (2)
SLOW ATTACK (3) FAST RELEASE (9)

Then repeat the whole battery of tests with a higher SUSTAIN (9?) and a lower sustain (3)

You'll need to do some level adjustments as you go.

Tonight, I'll post some settings that work for me. Once AxeChange patch exchange is replaced, we'll have an even better way to share.

Matman said:
It's a change to the existing pedal model, so you're on the right track.

Not at the AFX atm, but here are some things you can do to explore the pedal.

- Use a CLEAN amp. The Blackface, Eggie, Top Boost, or Soldano are my personal favs.

- Set the sustain at about 6.5
- Adjust level to taste.

- Compare:
FAST ATTACK (9) FAST RELEASE (9)
FAST ATTACK (9) SLOW RELEASE (2)
SLOW ATTACK (3) SLOW RELEASE (2)
SLOW ATTACK (3) FAST RELEASE (9)

Then repeat the whole battery of tests with a higher SUSTAIN (9?) and a lower sustain (3)

You'll need to do some level adjustments as you go.

Tonight, I'll post some settings that work for me. Once AxeChange patch exchange is replaced, we'll have an even better way to share.

Hi matman,

is sustain something like gain reduction ratio? so in this case 6.5:1?

Matman said:
Goodbye Vintage Ross.
Adios Orange Squeezer.
Rest in piece BiCompROSSer.

I am home.
Would be cool if you could post some settings of those

I'll try to dial in my Keeley 4knob when I find the time...

I must say that I'm really liking the pedal comp now too. I played with it a fair bit last night. One thing I found truly wonderful is using it before a drive pedal or a crunched amp (plexi). With my strat, it made playing much more tone responsive and made the drive pedal (tube drive) block really come alive. I've never played with a compressor on in front of a drive pedal before but last night it was a truly enjoyable experience. It made my strat have the punch and bite that it always had but it added sustain so that it felt like I was playing a Les Paul with gain on it.

Also, using the volume knob was great too. At full on, the tone is crunchy and agressive. Rolled off, the tone is less agressive but still has the sustain and feel of being full on. Way cool. Great for playing bluesy leads. The strings really come alive. I'm loving it!!

Back
Top Bottom