The new ENGL model (the first one) is fantatic and I don't play Heavy Metal

Gamedojo

Power User
I love how the AxeFx has allowed me try amps I would NEVER touch in a million years being a cleaner bluesier rock sorta dude. But when I've got free models waiting for me to test, I give them a try.

Granted, LOTS of the amps i've done this with instantly go into the catagory of "Not for me" but the ENGL amp was a HUGE shock.

I only have a couple of higher gain patches for use in my band playing tunes like addicted to love, sweet dreams, or Lady Gaga, but I do have them. I've usually stuck with the triptik or Freidman amps. Always loved the tone, but the ENGL gave me what I was missing, the percussive attack and punch the others lacked.

The ENGL, to my years, is all the best qualities of a modified Marshall amp, giving me the warmer tubey sounds but with the added blending of more modern tightness and attack. Its the best of both worlds which gives me the tone for the tune, and the attack and puch to add energy to the band.

Funny... because I would have NEVER known an amp like this would ever tickle my fancy. Thanks Fractal:)

Two quick clips with a vintage strat single coils ( so yeah, I'm even more shocked it works well with low output strat pickups... )

Smoother sounding IRs for speakers
Crunchier sounding IR

Last edited:
That's sick! I would not have thought to try this out, but will now. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good to read this. Engl amps are so underestimated, but they rock the hell out of your axe and there definitely are reliable. Sounds good BTW. These guys only make good amps, never ever heard any complaint about their stuff. A fellow musician owned a small 50W combo amp and I always liked the versatility of that amp, you can play anything on their material from jazz to blues to rock to heavy metall, anything will rock through an Engl amp.

IRs Used for Clips:

Smoother IRs:
• Petrucci V30 Mix
• G12H30 R121 ConeEdge 0" (Redwirez)

Crunchy IRs:
• Mesa V30s U87 Capedge 0" (Redwirez)
• Mesa V30s SM57 CapEdgeOff 0" (Redwirez)
• G12M U87 CapEdge 0" (Redwirez)
• G12M SM57 CapEdgeOff 0" (Redwirez)

...can you tell I like Redwirez cabs?
:)

IRs Used for Clips:

Smoother IRs:
• Petrucci V30 Mix
• G12H30 R121 ConeEdge 0" (Redwirez)

Crunchy IRs:
• Mesa V30s U87 Capedge 0" (Redwirez)
• Mesa V30s SM57 CapEdgeOff 0" (Redwirez)
• G12M U87 CapEdge 0" (Redwirez)
• G12M SM57 CapEdgeOff 0" (Redwirez)

...can you tell I like Redwirez cabs?
:)

Thanks Tyler. I just happen to have all these cabs...I'll give them a shot.

R

OK, so I tried to get my strat sounding something like yours but i'm no where near. Tried the smooth and no beueno. What are the chances of sharing the preset?

Pretty please?

Thanks a million, Tyler.

Holy shit, my Strat sings! It sustains forever! I enable that bright button to give me a little more "bite". Really REALLY digging this mate.

Great job!

I was playing with the Engl Savage today as well. For rock amps, I'm caught between it and the Friedman Brown Eye (Hairy). To me, the HBE is "juicy" and the Savage is "dry". Savage is perfect for modern Blackmore sounds :)

Last edited:
I was playing with the Engl Savage today as well. For rock amps, I'm caught between it and the Friedman Brown Eye (Hairy). To me, the HBE is "juicy" and the Savage is "dry". Savage is perfect for Blackmore sounds :)

From what I can gather on the Engl website, the Blackmore signature amp is based on the Savage.

Thanks a million, Tyler.

Holy shit, my Strat sings! It sustains forever! I enable that bright button to give me a little more "bite". Really REALLY digging this mate.

Great job!

I'm glad you dig. You might want to give the "crunchier" IR combination I posted. I developed that one for the exact reason you are using the bright switch. SM57s are a magical mic for adding the needed BITE guitarist crave without messing with actual amp tone/gain.

Back
Top Bottom