The most convenient wireless system to use with the AX8?

Hansen

Experienced
Has anybody recommendations for wireless systems that goes well with the AX8, e.g. that fit together with the AX8 on a pedalboard of something?

I like the idea of just using the AX8 and an EXP, but I would prefer staying wireless.

G10 is the most convenient wireless system that’s ever been made. The range isn’t quite what the larger systems offer, but I’ve yet to play a stage that was too big for it. And I’ve played gigs with up to 4 other g10s on it, no interference or pairing issues. Latency isn’t an issue, and I’ve noticed no tonal changes.

I am reading about it and many people complain about the USB connector breaking easily. Is that something you only need to connect to off stage, in order to charge the unit? Also, has Line 6 improved this connector?

I am reading about it and many people complain about the USB connector breaking easily. Is that something you only need to connect to off stage, in order to charge the unit? Also, has Line 6 improved this connector?
The connector is pure garbage. What I did was buy a right-angle connector and then gaff tape the heck out of it. This connection is absolutely necessary for powering the receiver and the system won't work without it.

To recharge the receiver without having to drag around my entire pedal board, I went with one of these:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RelayG10TCable

I haven't had any trouble with interference except when, ironically enough, someone else has a Line 6 wireless. They have some sort of "smart" channel finder which means they are actually completely stupid about finding channels so suddenly you realize your guitar's dry signal is going through your singer's wireless mic. There isn't really a good answer to this other than randomly turning things off and on until you get the right

I use the Line6 G30 and have done for a few years.
I mount the receiver under my Palmer pedalbay, powered from an outlet on a Gigrig isolator fed by a One-Spot and use rechargeable batteries in the transmitter.
Works fine and has done for years.

The connector is pure garbage. What I did was buy a right-angle connector and then gaff tape the heck out of it. This connection is absolutely necessary for powering the receiver and the system won't work without it.

To recharge the receiver without having to drag around my entire pedal board, I went with one of these:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RelayG10TCable

I haven't had any trouble with interference except when, ironically enough, someone else has a Line 6 wireless. They have some sort of "smart" channel finder which means they are actually completely stupid about finding channels so suddenly you realize your guitar's dry signal is going through your singer's wireless mic. There isn't really a good answer to this other than randomly turning things off and on until you get the right

Can you upload a picture of what you are not using, and the solution you are using instead? Did you simply change the cable?

Yes, my first unit did have the USB port get pushed in and I had to get a warranty replacement. I purchased this for it:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01M...ging+cable&dpPl=1&dpID=413EPEEhSfL&ref=plSrch

Seems to me that the constant plugging/unplugging of the usb cable was an issue, but with the above mentioned cable, I just leave the little magnet piece plugged in. Works great.

So you did not do any modifications to the unit, but simply buy a new charger cable?

Relay G70. Superb bit of kit, takes standard patch cables for the receiver as well as AA batteries. Rock-solid and reliable as well.

I cant think of a reason why any wireless unit would be more convenient... Some have better range, some offer additional battery life... but they all would work with the Ax8 in the same way. Pick one in your budget range and go...

The most convenient wireless does not yet exist. This would be a receiver expansion module fitted inside the AX8, powered from the AX8. The transmitter would be similar to the G10, but with exchangeable battery...

Last edited:
I balance quality and ease of use. I use a Line 6 G-90. I did substitute the transmitter cable that came with it, for a much better quality cable. i bought the cable from Lava Cable. I have been using it for years of trouble free operation.

Can you upload a picture of what you are not using, and the solution you are using instead? Did you simply change the cable?
A picture wouldn't help much because it's all buried under tape. All I did was buy a new micro USB cable for it with the connector at an angle (paid maybe $5 for the cable). The one that comes with the G10 has a connector that sticks straight out so it is not well protected from bumps and the length allows for leverage against the very fragile internal connector. The new one with the angled connector fits more closely to the body which alleviates these two issues. On top of that, I slapped some tape just to keep things in place and give slightly better support. You can get micro USB cables with angles in any direction so you can pick which is best for your particular needs.

Back
Top Bottom