The Morning Glory Thickener

State of Epicicity

Fractal Fanatic
I just had to write in praise of the Morning Glory drive, the Sunrise Splendor model. For those who may love the feel of their guitar, but find the tone too thin, I'm finding that the Morning Glory for me is an easy answer way to thicken the tone in a great and usable way. I look at it in this context as a great way to cop a Les Paul tone out of a Strat.

I look at it in this context as a great way to cop a Les Paul tone out of a Strat.

Int-er-est-ing. I wonder what it would do to a Jazzmaster? I need to check this out!

mr burns GIF

I'm just loving this combination so much. This is one I've settled on for the night. I've switched to DC power on the 2203 to remove ghost notes, with a 57 and 160 on the 1960TV, speaker thump at 5 (to simulate a 100W amp into a 100W cab), and just going to town. Dynamic City.

Attachments

• MG 2203 TV Thickener.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 44
Ghost notes for me normally appear when I'm playing on the neck pickup on wound strings above the 12th fret with some gain. They tend to show up as really low notes that have nothing to do harmonically with what you're playing. That disharmony makes me hate them. They are totally a real thing in real amps, but I think this is one instance in which I'll gladly avoid the built in accuracy of Fractal products and use the tools Cliff provided to idealize the amp myself! I've found Plexis are especially prone to this. The 6CA7 Plexi is terrible in this regard, but switching the power supply to DC totally gets rid of it, and that is awesome!

You can also increase the B+ Time Constant, but I think you start changing the character even more with that mod.

This is nice!!! I swapped it out with a T808 as a test and it definitely had more clarity yet was thick. Saved my 808 to another channel and will be using this as the preset's main OD. I will say that the biggest improvement in thickening up the thin tone on this preset was adjusting the speaker preamp drive and type parameters. A tip I got from another thread. That was huge for the clean/fender tone preset, which was originally built from Tyler Grund's videos (for those who remember....oh what tone and playing).

Thanks for the tip @State of Epicicity And if you haven't delved into the speaker pre-amp settings, I'll dig up the thread for ya. It was like woah!! Thin to thick and juicy.

This is nice!!! I swapped it out with a T808 as a test and it definitely had more clarity yet was thick. Saved my 808 to another channel and will be using this as the preset's main OD. I will say that the biggest improvement in thickening up the thin tone on this preset was adjusting the speaker preamp drive and type parameters. A tip I got from another thread. That was huge for the clean/fender tone preset, which was originally built from Tyler Grund's videos (for those who remember....oh what tone and playing).

Thanks for the tip @State of Epicicity And if you haven't delved into the speaker pre-amp settings, I'll dig up the thread for ya. It was like woah!! Thin to thick and juicy.

I have messed with those before, but I hadn't considered them for that purpose. I'll definitely give them a try. Many thanks!

I don't want to hijack this thread so here's the link to the other one re: CAB Preamp
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/cab-preamp-settings.200135/

I assumed this was intended for clean tones and tried it on my main preset that's a fiery Marshall. This 'smooths' out the tone on the overdriven preset too. I haven't tried it with a mix yet. And it may be those rough edges are what cut in that mix. But on it's own it's very effective as a form of polishing off a tone that I already thought was killer.

Changing the Preamp Type to Tube, Drive to 4.00 and Saturation to 1.00 took out the high end fizziness for me. I'm using Fender amp blocks with a Dynacab but the tone is very much like a ODS that I'd hear from one of the rare ODS owners.
Ayyyyy I was the one from that original thread that said the tube preamp at 4! I'm happy I've helped someone dial their own personal tone in better!

With the new drive types added I've been more on the nobels than the jhs with my cutlass, but i should give the jhs more playtime soon. I've also been using the tube driver and switching the clip type to op-amp and it sounds really good!

Back
Top Bottom