The K10

Status
Not open for further replies.

scotts

Inspired
Proviso:
Jay was nice enough to test one of my QSC K10s for free. He will not be providing a detailed printed report nor will he be providing graphic data. That wasn't our agreement (and I don't need that information anyway).

There are two independent loudspeaker testing facilities in America that I believe Jay had some hand in designing. For about $1500 they will provide extensive test data and complete written evaluation of any speaker you send them.

To make the QSC K10 behave to the best of its ability two things can be done:

1) Switch the wires to the high frequency driver (see end of post for method).
2) Add corrective PEQ at the end of your patches.

1) Phase issue
The K10, like many speakers, comes from the factory with the HF driver wired out of phase to the LF driver. Sometimes this is done because the designer(s) believe that it will clear up some anomaly in the speakers presentation. Sometimes this is done because the designer(s) believe that whether the drivers are in phase or out of phase makes no audible difference. More often it appears to be done because "that's the way we always do it". According to Jay wiring the drivers out of phase is always a bad idea.

I corrected the phase on my K10 before my gig last night. The effect on my pre-recorded break music (Chet Baker) was noticeable and a distinct improvement. Parts of this particular CD get played at my house gig throughout the year. I know the disc and I know the room. The trumpet and saxophone sounded far more detailed and clear. The difference was noticeable from several different listening positions.

2) Corrective PEQ
My problem with the K10 (and my problem with my Turbosounds) is my perception that they both do funny things to the lower mids. Jays analysis shows that the phenomena I am experiencing is actually being caused in the 700Hz [AND DOWN] range (edited 6/2/11). The K10 can be made to behave to the best of its ability by placing a PEQ last in line in your patch with the following setting:
[BAND 1]
Shelving
700Hz
Q .707
-3dB

I made the phase change and implemented the corrective PEQ and I am know far more satisfied with the K10. The mid issue noticeably lessened and things just sound better. My initial impression is that my adjusted K10 now out performs my Turbosound TCS (but I have not directly tested this).

Another EQ issue:
[COMMENT REMOVED. BAD PRESENTATION OF PARTIALLY GRASPED IDEA CAUSING CONFUSION]

Overall, with the above corrections implemented, the K10 is pretty darn good for its price point. In terms of relative flatness and overall transparency it destroys it nearest price point JBL stuff.

Flawed design. The issue that can't be compensated...

Worst: LF speaker on a flat surface with HF driver
The K10, like the majority of loudspeakers, is deeply flawed by design. Putting a low frequency speaker on a flat surface with a high frequency driver is the absolute worst of the three possible designs that Jay and I discussed. No amount of design skill, design trickery, DSP, etc. can correct out all the bad acoustical anomalies inherent in this design. It is impossible to build a loudspeaker of this type that will perform transparently across any listening spectrum. Unfortunately this design happens to be the most cost effective way to produce a loudspeaker. The nasty price driven game of various degrees of turd polishing goes on. Yes, some of them sound pretty darn good at various price points but the best of these designs are reasonably far away from transparent reproduction at various listening positions.

Better: LF horn on a flat surface with HF horn
Get rid of the LF speaker and use a LF horn + HF horn and things take a considerable step up. I believe Jay said this was being done in theater sound way back in the day. Why did the industry switch from this demonstrably better design to the now ubiquitous speaker plus horn? A low frequency horn cost more than a low frequency speaker. Also, the cabinet has to be a bit bigger to handle the low frequency horn.

"Golly Dick. These financial numbers are impressive. I believe we'll go with the speaker/horn design. Let the engineers know. I'm sure they can come up with a way to make it sound good enough."

Best: Co-axial
There is no getting around the issue. This is simply the best design currently known. Proper test data bears this out. In the case of a well designed, high end co-axial product, your ears will bear this out. It should be noted that a system can utilize a co-axial speaker and still be poorly designed. The mere presence of a co-axial speaker doesn't insure transparency.

P.S.
I am still badgering Jay to bring a reasonably priced, bi-amped, high end co-axial monitor to the retail market. I have heard high-end, co-axial transparency and it is a beautiful thing.

Some myth-busting courtesy of Jay...

Myth 1: Speaker Coupling
There is no such thing as "speaker coupling" with the ground.
You know...
"...when I set my speaker on the ground it couples with the surface and the bottom end gets increased...".

Yeah, I know, even people that are supposed to know what they are doing talk about it this way. The perceived phenomena has nothing to do with ground contact and everything to do with speaker proximity to any given surface. After a few people fuss at me over this I'm sure Jay will step in with a more developed explanation.

Myth 2: Wood Cabinet Is Better Than Plastic
I have been told this by every speaker person I have ever met (except Jay). I believed it because all the good sounding cabinets I have owned and/or tested have been made of wood. Well, the K10 has a plastic cabinet and with Jays adjustments I like it better than my wooden Turbosounds.

Apparently the issue isn't that a wood cabinet makes for the best speaker; it's that the best speakers happen to have cabinets made of wood. Plastic cabinets have mostly been used in cheaper, poorly designed, price point targeted products. Jay says that a properly designed plastic cabinet can perform equally as well as its wooden counterpart.

Changing the K10 HF driver phase:
~remove the four screws securing the front grill
~use a small probe or screwdriver at two corners to draw the grill edges out of the cabinet track / the grill will then lift off
~remove the screws securing the LF speaker
~lift the speaker out by first levering it up from the recessed spots in the cabinet
~mark the LF wires / they need to go back just as they are (the LF speaker is in correct phase)
~unplug the LF speaker and put it aside
~note the position of the white fuzzy stuff / remove the white fuzzy stuff
~you can now see the HF driver and its wires
~unplug the two HF driver wires and switch them (gently wiggle them back and forth and they will come off)
~put the white fuzzy stuff back the way you found it
~plug the LF driver back in the way you found it
~be careful not to turn the LF driver as you reinstall it / the wiring harness allows for one mounting position
~reinstall the LF speaker screws
~snap the grill in place / reinstall the four grill screws

***ask yourself why the hell QSC didn't put the damn thing together in phase to begin with***

Last edited:
P.S.
I am still badgering Jay to bring a reasonably priced, bi-amped, high end co-axial monitor to the retail market. I have heard high-end, co-axial transparency and it is a beautiful thing.

Go on. ;)

Scotts (ad Jay), thanx! I'll try later today.

The corrective shelving filter at 700Hz is a high shelf, yes?

Thanks Scott and Jay!

Since I only have my K10 for a few days and still need to do some gigs with it I am not going to do too much.
It was for me anyway a step up. I am very satisfied with how it sounds here and I am curious how it
wil perform on the gigs this weekend.

Jens

Last edited:
Thanks to both of you for the time and effort in making this information available. I returned my K10 for reasons that you (Scott) have described - I'm reconsidering.

Thanks to Scotts and Jay. Very useful info for a lot of users!

1) Phase issue
The K10, like many speakers, comes from the factory with the HF driver wired out of phase to the LF driver. Sometimes this is done because the designer(s) believe that it will clear up some anomaly in the speakers presentation. Sometimes this is done because the designer(s) believe that whether the drivers are in phase or out of phase makes no audible difference. More often it appears to be done because "that's the way we always do it". According to Jay wiring the drivers out of phase is always a bad idea.

I agree that wiring drivers out of phase is a bad idea.

A little warning though before people go check the wiring in their speakers and changing things:

It is possible that a driver could actually be in phase with the +/red and -/black terminals reversed in comparison with the other driver. First of all some drivers just have their terminals marked opposite from the usual convention. (JBL is one example but others exist also: http://www.jblpro.com/pub/technote/tn_v1n12b.pdf) If you use such a driver combined with another it would seem one of them is reversed - when it really isn't - just looking at the connections. Also some designers will try to match phase shift of a passive crossover at the crossover frequency this way. Also there could be an amplifier or processing stage that inverts polarity which gets compensated for by flipping it back at the drivers terminals.

If the drivers really are out of phase though it makes sense to correct it and yes, there are many examples out there, the K10 is not alone here. If you find a dip in the frequency response of a speaker at the crossover frequency it's a likely candidate.
http://www.rationalacoustics.com/files/case8.pdf

S.R.

Last edited:
Scotts,

Good work, explanation and writing.

Coaxials it will be

Thanks

A coaxial speaker, if well done, has certain advantages.
A well designed 'normal' 2 way could be way better than a badly designed coaxial though.
Just because a speaker is coaxial doesn't make it good, or better than something else. You have too look at the whole picture.
Coaxial designs also have their own design challenges that are not always dealt with equally well, especially at a lower price point.

S.R.

A coaxial speaker, if well done, has certain advantages.
A well designed 'normal' 2 way could be way better than a badly designed coaxial though.
Just because a speaker is coaxial doesn't make it good, or better than something else. You have too look at the whole picture.
Coaxial designs also have their own design challenges that are not always dealt with equally well, especially at a lower price point.
S.R.

Yep. That's why I wrote this in the original post:
(scotts) It should be noted that a system can utilize a co-axial speaker and still be poorly designed. The mere presence of a co-axial speaker doesn't insure transparency.

Measles may be better than mumps, but that is not a particularly attractive choice. ;) My preference is for well-designed devices, and my definition of "well-designed" includes temporal coincidence over a wide angular spread as a necessary attribute. That can only be achieved in a coaxial design.

Just because a speaker is coaxial doesn't make it good
Correct. OTOH, not being coaxial guarantees the presence of certain undesirable behaviors.

1) Phase issue
The K10, like many speakers, comes from the factory with the HF driver wired out of phase to the LF driver.

Very interesting post and some pretty revealing information all around; thanks for your efforts and sharing them Scott and Jay.

The HF/LF drivers being wired out of phase from the factory is eye-opening. I'm curious if my RCF-310a would have the same wiring/phase issue and what the procedure would be to determine that since you can't see the HF excursion to see if it matched the LF excursion (ie. the 9V battery on the input test), so would simply scoping the drivers at an appropriate frequency (around the XOver freq???) verify incorrectly wired drivers? I'm thinking of XOver phase shifting, etc. making the testing not so simple/straightforward.

Last edited:
The HF/LF drivers being wired out of phase from the factory is eye-opening.

Agreed.
Making me wonder about my QSC HRP122i's. I love these speakers, but there was something just a little funky (techical term) about the top end when I used them with my Axe. Wondering if it has to do with the phasing (if the HF driver is in fact wired out of phase)....

Would this apply to the K12 as well?

Cheers!
- jonah

I would assume this probably does not apply for the K12. I say this because the speaker cabinet is different dimensions and would have a different affect on the response of the 12" driver of the K12. The phase issue may or may not...

I would be interested to know how I could tell if the HF driver is indeed out of phase on my K12's.

Very cool post! Thank you both for doing this, it's very interesting. I may check out a K10 now...

I'm curious about the "floor coupling is BS" stuff. I've had my doubts of late about that phenomenon. No doubt I've actually stated it as fact on more than a few occasions in the past though. I have experienced what I thought was low end coupling at times when a monitor was placed on the floor, but lately I've wondered if I was actually hearing some sort of reflection that I was perceiving as said coupling. Unfortunately, I no longer have access to a lab to test this...

D

"Some myth-busting courtesy of Jay...

Myth 1: Speaker Coupling
There is no such thing as "speaker coupling" with the ground.
You know...
"...when I set my speaker on the ground it couples with the surface and the bottom end gets increased...". "

There should be some clarification about this. With a hard surface, the proximity of the driver to it causes low end reflections, meaning an increase in perceived bass. HOWEVER.... the surface the speaker is resting on may result in low frequency resonances from the vibration of the cabinet, depending on the mass and resonance of the material the surface is made from, and in this case, decoupling can result in lessened perceived bass frequencies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom