The Humorous Collective of Previously Unmarketable Ideas

bleujazz3

Fractal Fanatic
As much as we enjoy this forum, I've since personally realized that we are comprised of a group of talented musicians, but not only this. As part of this forum, we've gone beyond the usual scope of looking at things from merely a perfunctory manner. We deep dive, we dig, we uncover new things that relate to ourselves as innovators and inventors, from engineering, to acoustics, to software development, and beyond.

With this in mind, sometimes we all could use a break from the typical workday workload, so this thread has been created to pique our collective mind for previously unmarketable ideas that might benefit mankind or society not only for today, but if necessary, into the future. The caveat is that this thread is designed to help relieve us of the brainstorming sessions stress, the R&D meeting contentions, and in effect, break the ice whenever we might need a laugh about some screwball idea that just might work.

Case in Point:

Scenario: Elderly woman for the 3rd time this week has misplaced her reading glasses. The glasses simply vanish without a trace.

Band-Aid Solution: Elderly woman enlists husband in her eyeglasses search. Not finding them on the top of her head, elderly woman becomes frustrated and suggests to husband they visit the local Walmart to try on 2 pair she will ultimately buy, thinking if she loses a pair, she's got a spare set.

Idea: Since older folks usually buy wider rimmed glasses for the most part, why not construct eyeglasses or sunglasses with a microchip/audio device built in? If the glasses are misplaced, the older person only need use a free app on their cell phone to locate the glasses. With a simple button push, the glasses would emit a minute-long sonic tone (perhaps E6 on the guitar) which ascends as one draws closer to the glasses (until it reaches G3).

Concept employed: Similar to how one finds a missing phone or TV remote with a peripheral device. Build a small phone speaker into the glasses with the microchip that is loud enough to be heard in the same room or one room away, and that tells the app when you draw closer to the glasses, by increasing the audio's tone pitch until the searcher finds the glasses.

Methodology: You can understand the humor of misplacing your glasses. The concept is designed so that people who having visual difficulties can still locate their devices if they can still hear appreciably well, OR, build an app into your locator device that is also hearing-aid connectivity-enabled.

You haven't seen my parents trying to use their 'smart' phones without their glasses.

Scooby Doo Help GIF by nounish ⌐◨-◨

'Lexa!!
Fetch me my readin glasses.

Good morning meemaw, your glasses are on your head.
Yup. That was considered. Mebbe a 'Lexa remote handheld with programmable item search ability functional? Like Apple AirPods for tagging things? Something smaller like eyeglass bands that attach to the glasses...? The variety is endless. Small tags for keys. A set of adhesive chip stickers for remotes. Protective covers for phones and mobile devices with audio and chips built in.

All connected to Alexa who can tell you when you get closer or farther away from these...

Last edited:
As much as we enjoy this forum, I've since personally realized that we are comprised of a group of talented musicians, but not only this. As part of this forum, we've gone beyond the usual scope of looking at things from merely a perfunctory manner. We deep dive, we dig, we uncover new things that relate to ourselves as innovators and inventors, from engineering, to acoustics, to software development, and beyond.

With this in mind, sometimes we all could use a break from the typical workday workload, so this thread has been created to pique our collective mind for previously unmarketable ideas that might benefit mankind or society not only for today, but if necessary, into the future. The caveat is that this thread is designed to help relieve us of the brainstorming sessions stress, the R&D meeting contentions, and in effect, break the ice whenever we might need a laugh about some screwball idea that just might work.

Case in Point:

Scenario: Elderly woman for the 3rd time this week has misplaced her reading glasses. The glasses simply vanish without a trace.

Band-Aid Solution: Elderly woman enlists husband in her eyeglasses search. Not finding them on the top of her head, elderly woman becomes frustrated and suggests to husband they visit the local Walmart to try on 2 pair she will ultimately buy, thinking if she loses a pair, she's got a spare set.

Idea: Since older folks usually buy wider rimmed glasses for the most part, why not construct eyeglasses or sunglasses with a microchip/audio device built in? If the glasses are misplaced, the older person only need use a free app on their cell phone to locate the glasses. With a simple button push, the glasses would emit a minute-long sonic tone (perhaps E6 on the guitar) which ascends as one draws closer to the glasses (until it reaches G3).

Concept employed: Similar to how one finds a missing phone or TV remote with a peripheral device. Build a small phone speaker into the glasses with the microchip that is loud enough to be heard in the same room or one room away, and that tells the app when you draw closer to the glasses, by increasing the audio's tone pitch until the searcher finds the glasses.

Methodology: You can understand the humor of misplacing your glasses. The concept is designed so that people who having visual difficulties can still locate their devices if they can still hear appreciably well, OR, build an app into your locator device that is also hearing-aid connectivity-enabled.
Great idea! But, I'd also want the eyeglasses to be capable of locating my cell phone. I have bad enough eyes that I am aware anytime my glasses aren't on my face, but I absentmindedly leave my phone in various places 20x/day.

Great idea! But, I'd also want the eyeglasses to be capable of locating my cell phone. I have bad enough eyes that I am aware anytime my glasses aren't on my face, but I absentmindedly leave my phone in various places 20x/day.
The locator device (Alexa) would likely require that one attach either eyeglass headbands or ties, phone chip stickers or protective chip cases to the items that often were misplaced.

Not sure how Alexa could recognize what room the misplaced item was; more likely by distance if there were a scanner wand for locating items.

Sure. Another piece of equipment that you could misplace before finding everything else that's gone south.

Back to the drawing board.

Ascending from E6 to G3 may present technical challenges.

Ascending from E6 to G3 may present technical challenges.
Of course. These are things likely beyond my scope of knowledge. Yet, in layman's terms, perhaps utilizing a proximity detector might allow some type of circuit that will allow a sliding frequency response with respect to the proximity detector. Something similar to a synth algorithm actuated by the proximity detector. Just spitballin' here, but do you think that might be feasible?

Of course. These are things likely beyond my scope of knowledge. Yet, in layman's terms, perhaps utilizing a proximity detector might allow some type of circuit that will allow a sliding frequency response with respect to the proximity detector. Something similar to a synth algorithm actuated by the proximity detector. Just spitballin' here, but do you think that might be feasible?
I was being light-heartedly snarky about your original post, ascending from a E6 to G3 (a higher note to a lower note).

I was being light-heartedly snarky about your original post, ascending from a E6 to G3 (a higher note to a lower note).
Ah, you got me. Was referring to the guitar string, not so much the note designation. Not sure if this is what displays on our FM9s or not...hmm...may need to check this against my StroboMini...

Back
Top Bottom