The Honeymoon is Over...

hoth

Inspired
...and my love affair with the Axe is still raging. I just wanted to post my experiences with the Axe now that I have had it for a few weeks. I have been a regular on a number of forums, especially TGP, and have only recently gotten a Standard. I had (what I consider) a nice collection of modern and vintage pedals. However, life throws you some curveballs and mine is in the form of 22lbs of living, breathing goodness :). I have gotten along with modelers in the past, but nothing has ever made me feel like I could let go of the safety net that my pedals are for me. Until now...

The first thing I did was read about the Axe, almost obsessively. I had to try it out at least because so many posters that I respected were SO into it. I love sounds and music especially, so I looked at this as just another experiment. At worst, if I didn't like it, I could sell it and lose very little.

I decided that I needed a FRFR, but until I could unload my amp, I would just plug it into the FX return and make do. My amp is a Mark V and I resolved myself to have less than optimal sound for a while. Well, after a few GEQ adjustments (primarily compensating for the darkness of the cab), I felt something that I have never felt from a modeler - the Axe felt like a real extension of me just like a tube amp. I have fallen in love with so many patches. The Marsha, the Citrus, the Wrecker, the Shiver (I had a Shiva that I sold that I miss so much, but the Shiver makes me forget about it), the 1987x, and on and on...

In the end, this is just a modeler. In the end, it's just sounds. But these sounds are our lives.

I have fallen in love with so many patches. The Marsha, the Citrus, the Wrecker, the Shiver (I had a Shiva that I sold that I miss so much, but the Shiver makes me forget about it), the 1987x, and on and on...

What style of music are you playing?

As you can guess from the amps that I listed, I like rock to hard rock to melodic metal (metallica or disturbed). Those amps are all awesome for different flavors of rock and the recto's and uber's are incredible for the heavier stuff. I don't do ambient much or put too many effects on anything. I just like to crank it and spank it.

Back
Top Bottom