The history of Axe Fx so far.

Erik Hammero

Inspired
Does anyone here know how the first Axe Fx ever sounded like? I guess that was the Standard? Or came Std and Ultra out at the same time?
Just a little courious about the history of the Axe Fx so far. :)

Sounded good already from the start. :)
Great sound and playing, BTW. :)
Was the guitar effects on these clips from the Axe or plugins?

Its so great to have a listen to the "origin". How it was "back then. :)
Did you use it directly to FOH on live use also?

Its so great to have a listen to the "origin". How it was "back then. :)
Did you use it directly to FOH on live use also?

Yes. I still remember at the very beginning it was a pain to program and make it "feel" right.. later firmwares changed that though. Anyway nothing compared to the II, this one sounds right out of the box!

Here a couple of live videos from that time:

Enzo Sutera live at the Generalmusikdirektion - YouTube

Enzo Sutera Live at the Generalmusikdirektion 2 - YouTube

I bought the Ultra in 2010 but sold it after a year when the II came out. The Ultra was phenomenal! The Standard sounds phenomenal too,such a great product from the beginning. Great playing man.

here's an orginal recording i made using my ultra about a week or so after getting it back in 2008. i'm sure i could have made it sound better and not as flubby :)

here's an orginal recording i made using my ultra about a week or so after getting it back in 2008. i'm sure i could have made it sound better and not as flubby :)

A new mix and some EQs would have done wonders here but you can hear how the Axe is behaving. Thanks for sharing this. :)

I was there very early on. Late 2006.

The 'buzz' was just beginning. A bit of havoc really. At that time, my wait time was roughly 1-2 months (I think I waited 3). By the time I received mine, it was up to 6 months +. Out of the box it was like none of the other modelers I'd heard. Way over what the competitors were offering. Yes, it was a huge pain to figure out how to tweak (much of it was my learning curve on advanced digital devices as well.) But I was satisfied tweaking existing presets while I learned.

It went from 0 to 'fooking nuts' in a very short time (Cliff may chime in...it was probably the last time he slept). There were a pile of us trying to find information on it, as well as clips, etc. One person (not remembered...someone help here), did a few 'real world' clips as well as reviews, which sold pretty much all of us. There was about 3 reviews on HC, and I'm sure we all read them 400 times. Popularity grew pretty fast after that, and since most sites were sick and tired of us talking Axe-FX for days, so the setbb forum was born. In time the first incarnations of preset sites and WIKI, and finally Fractal took over the forum.

Helped from my standpoint that there were a few people here in Denver who were REALLY early adopters (cue Sean and Pete.) Eric was not long after me (solo-act), and a few amp fest's later, Denver was peppered with Fractal.

Really, we all just heard the potential of the technology early on, and jumped on board. And I can say I have not been disappointed.

Ron

These clips along with the ones of joCCe ( http://forum.fractalaudio.com/search.php?searchid=1719180 ) rule to this day!
I find some of them "plasticky" sounding in a very desirable way.

Sometimes, I still demo them to potential buyers, like "see what it could do 5 years ago!! Imagine now!" :p
The truth is: I'm still wanting those tones from 5 years ago.

Last edited:
I was there very early on. Late 2006.

The 'buzz' was just beginning. A bit of havoc really. At that time, my wait time was roughly 1-2 months (I think I waited 3). By the time I received mine, it was up to 6 months +. Out of the box it was like none of the other modelers I'd heard. Way over what the competitors were offering. Yes, it was a huge pain to figure out how to tweak (much of it was my learning curve on advanced digital devices as well.) But I was satisfied tweaking existing presets while I learned.

It went from 0 to 'fooking nuts' in a very short time (Cliff may chime in...it was probably the last time he slept). There were a pile of us trying to find information on it, as well as clips, etc. One person (not remembered...someone help here), did a few 'real world' clips as well as reviews, which sold pretty much all of us. There was about 3 reviews on HC, and I'm sure we all read them 400 times. Popularity grew pretty fast after that, and since most sites were sick and tired of us talking Axe-FX for days, so the setbb forum was born. In time the first incarnations of preset sites and WIKI, and finally Fractal took over the forum.

Helped from my standpoint that there were a few people here in Denver who were REALLY early adopters (cue Sean and Pete.) Eric was not long after me (solo-act), and a few amp fest's later, Denver was peppered with Fractal.

Really, we all just heard the potential of the technology early on, and jumped on board. And I can say I have not been disappointed.

Ron
Thank you very much! Its really interesting to know a bit of the beginning. And yes, it would be really great if The Overlord (Cliff) could find some time to tell a little about how he experienced this and the fast growing interrest in his product. :)
Does anyone have a clue of how many Axe Fx units sold worldwide uptil now? Std, Ultra and II?

You can still relive the beginnings in the old forum or by Cliff's first messages on HRI & other forums :)

For the II, we know it seems he didn't expect orders going through the roof.
So he's now experiencing the joy of natural lighting in his workplace ;) and at the same time offering an entry for stray cats :p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom