The Great "Tube Shortage" of 2022

Preamp tubes normally last forever. I'm 71 and never had one go bad. So maybe we need a next generation of Hybrid amps with a can't tell from real tubes power section.

Preamp tubes normally last forever. I'm 71 and never had one go bad. So maybe we need a next generation of Hybrid amps with a can't tell from real tubes power section.

I'm not an amp designer, and a lot of what I know about the details comes from this forum, but....That seems hard.

The impedance interaction between the transformer and speaker (due to the low damping factor and the effect on frequency response) seems to be the big thing that prevents people from liking solid state power sections. I wonder if there's a way to emulate that without going digital.

That being said....some of the hybrid lunchboxes have been pretty popular.

I know I've been considering same. No easy way to time that market on the sale side. Classic tube amps will always have value for collectors, but modern boutiques? On that one I'm not so sure. As digital modeling continues to nail the tone of modern boutiques, who would spend (and lug one if you are gigging) considering the alternative is so good and way more versatile? I don't need the money but I'm starting to think I would rather convert some of my "amp assets" into "new guitar assets". It would also free up some needed space in my studio.

Not sure what I will actually do. I have lots of NOS from the 50's and 60's. Some are getting so pricey, I'm hesitant to put them in my amps. Five years from now they may be worthless, who knows.

Not sure what I will actually do. I have lots of NOS from the 50's and 60's. Some are getting so pricey, I'm hesitant to put them in my amps. Five years from now they may be worthless, who knows.
My understanding of those old NOS tubes is that they were much more robust, but not necessarily any better-sounding.
I think it'd be hard to make a distinction between whether they actually do sound better, and confirmation bias.

I have a decent stock of tubes to service my desert island amps, but not for the rest of them. I thought the whole mess would be sorted by now. Then Covid ..., and then Russia deciding they wanted Ukraine. That didn't help the tube supply chain any either!

No it's not.
I've used lots of 12ax7/ecc83 , EL84, & EL34. Multiple sets and I personally bias them exactly the same each time.
Each brand and model of each tube has a distinct sound. For example the New Sensor Tungsol 12ax7 (the older one) has a distinct emphasis on the upper midrange. While the New Sensor 12ax7 LP is more neutral sounding and on average has less gain.
That's been my personal experience-but I've heard others describe them the same way. It's not a coincidence.
My understanding of those old NOS tubes is that they were much more robust, but not necessarily any better-sounding.
I think it'd be hard to make a distinction between whether they actually do sound better, and confirmation bias.

Last edited:

For the most part, but it can depend too. I can certainly tell a difference if I pop in a black plate Raytheon vs a Ruby or a Mullard El34 vs a current Tung Sol.

I’m hoarding a small stock of NOS tubes and I don’t know why. They’re mostly preamp tubes but some decent power amp ones. I’m down to only 2 amps that require tubes. My Mesa Simul 2:90 and an EVH 100 watt head. Both run 6L6GC and 12ax7a. I wouldn’t mind selling them but the only tube tester I have is so old I’m afraid to plug it in. Wires are all dried out and I can see the caps are falling apart. It seems a lot of sellers have expensive Hickok testers that provide triode readings, check for leaks and can tell of they’re matching. I don’t want to go through the hassle of all that. If anyone here is looking for specific tubes let me know. I’ll go through the boxes. If I have them I’ll give you deal.

No it's not.
I've used lots of 12ax7/ecc83 , EL84, & EL34. Multiple sets and I personally bias them exactly the same each time.
Each brand and model of each tube has a distinct sound. For example the New Sensor Tungsol 12ax7 (the older one) has a distinct emphasis on the upper midrange. While the New Sensor 12ax7 LP is more neutral sounding and on average has less gain.
That's been my personal experience-but I've heard others describe them the same way. It's not a coincidence.
For the most part, but it can depend too. I can certainly tell a difference if I pop in a black plate Raytheon vs a Ruby or a Mullard El34 vs a current Tung Sol.
I don't doubt you can hear a difference. What I'm wondering is, is it such a distinct difference that you could say, Yes, this NOS tube definitely sounds better.

The only time I could say one tube sounded better than another, and not just different, was when I stuck a Mesa SPax7 in V1 in my ADA MP-1. It was obviously clearer and tighter, with less noise, so I liked its sound much better.

I don't doubt you can hear a difference. What I'm wondering is, is it such a distinct difference that you could say, Yes, this NOS tube definitely sounds better.

The only time I could say one tube sounded better than another, and not just different, was when I stuck a Mesa SPax7 in V1 in my ADA MP-1. It was obviously clearer and tighter, with less noise, so I liked its sound much better.
Just cause a tube is NOS does not mean it’s a great tube.
Back in the day there were so so tubes being made as well as the ones we all talk about- Mullards, GE, TunSol, etc.

Back
Top Bottom