The Great "Tube Shortage" of 2022

trancegodz

Power User
I was wondering about the availability of tubes today and found this video.
For those of you that still own some tube amps, what are you finding when it comes to buying tubes today?

I see that Matrix amps is having supply chain issues with electronic components in general. This is from their website currently:
"We are now out of stock on all amplifier products and amp module (for powered speakers) and also some components for passive crossovers (unpowered speakers). This is due to the continuing supply chain issues affecting electronic components. We have seen back order times drop from just over a year to just under a year on some critical components but obviously this is still a considerable length of time to wait and plan a production run. These events our out of our control and part of a wider global issue. We're hoping things get better but we're as in the dark on things as are lots of companies out there."

Fractal Audios FM-9 and X-load are both currently out of stock. Is this because of supply chain issues?

How bad is the supply chain issues for electronic components in general at the moment?

My amp tech had some contacts who were getting out of "the business" and sold him a bunch of NOS tubes. I had him retube both my combos at that point. The difference between those tubes and "modern" tubes was somewhat subtle, I could hear it but I'm not sure it was THAT big of a deal. Since then tube prices have shot WAY up.

Tubes, and tube-based amps, need to go away. They're not good for the planet, and they're not very rugged. And, the more I use my Fractals, the more I'm convinced we're sitting on the cusp of the end of tubes. I love the sound of my Fractals as much as my tube amps, and now it's my job to figure out how to reduce the load-in/load-out to what I can do with a single combo and my guitar. Currently, with the FM9, I'm down to one extra component, the FRFR.

Supply-chain issues are the result of ripples from a big event dropping into the industry, in this case it's the effect of COVID. They will roll through every connected industry, and it's unavoidable. As they move outward the effect is usually lessened, but it does have its affect. And, similarly, as those ripples hit the end of the affected industries, they'll bounce and move backward. I think it's society reacting, but it's also society that is negatively affected. It's the downside of "JIT" ("Just in time) manufacturing and delivery. It's good for the manufacturer, until they can't get parts or raw materials.

Last edited:
haven’t watched the video yet, but I just had to re-tube two amps. tubes are available but holy hell they’re pricey now. hadn’t bought any in a few years.

My amp tech had some contacts who were getting out of "the business" and sold him a bunch of NOS tubes. I had him retube both my combos at that point. The difference between those tubes and "modern" tubes was somewhat subtle, I could hear it but I'm not sure it was THAT big of a deal. Since then tube prices have shot WAY up.

Tubes, and tube-based amps, need to go away. They're not good for the planet, and they're not very rugged. And, the more I use my Fractals, the more I'm convinced we're sitting on the cusp of the end of tubes. I love the sound of my Fractals as much as my tube amps, and now it's my job to figure out how to reduce the load-in/load-out to what I can do with a single combo and my guitar. Currently, with the FM9, I'm down to one extra component, the FRFR.

Supply-chain issues are the result of ripples from a big event dropping into the industry, in this case it's the effect of COVID. They will roll through every connected industry, and it's unavoidable. As they move outward the effect is usually lessened, but it does have its affect. And, similarly, as those ripples hit the end of the affected industries, they'll bounce and move backward. I think it's society reacting, but it's also society that is negatively affected. It's the downside of "JIT" ("Just in time) manufacturing and delivery. It's good for the manufacturer, until they can't get parts or raw materials.

Greg is spot on. The most important consideration is that tubes are very old tech. The future is certainly digital (hell the present is too!). The scary parts of all things digital is the rare earth elements needed and where we source them from (hint majority are from China). I'm not a China hater - just a common sense realist that knows if the most important parts of our modern tech rely on those elements we need to have a robust and reliable domestic source ASAP.

A good number of tubes (maybe the majority?) came from eastern Europe too.
You’re right! I had to look that up. I stand firmly corrected. Please disregard my uneducated anti-globalist narrow minded politically biased back handed comment. :eek:

Okay maybe there was too much spice on that burrito.
Not at all. I was shocked to learn the same. I haven't googled it yet but if my decrepit and failing memory isn't all the way shot, I think it was Sylvania that made the first Vacuum tubes (an American company). Hold on googling ...

Edit: Edison's company is mentioned - there is a great wikipedia article here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacuum_tube

Last edited:
I’ve always kept a decent supply of tubes on hand, so the global tube money-grab that went on sailed past me. Also, using my Fractal gear means I rarely ever have to replace tubes now. Still, I’m hopeful the Western Electric project in Georgia brings tube making back to the States.

Unfortunately, panic buying is a thing and tubes (like toilet paper) went in short supply once that began. Whether or not there was ever actually a “shortage” is debatable, but much like a bank the system just wasn’t prepared for “a run” on inventory.

Now, digital stuff is another story. The shortages and delay in ramp up time for production showed up just about everywhere. We Fractalonians sure felt it here.

I have two tube amps, one needs work and hasn’t been played in years. And the other is a head and I presently don’t have a cab, so it doesn’t get played. I haven’t played live using a tube amp in 4 years for bass, and 7 years for guitar. Digital solutions are the now, in the probably 20-25 bands I’ve seen live this last year, only 3 were using live amps on stage, and they were all the “older” of the bands. The rest had some sort of digital solution.

Personally I don’t think I will ever need to buy tubes again, since I have one set for my amp head, and when I get a cab it will be played occasionally at home only.

Overall, I’m thankful to have the Axe Fx, since it makes so many aspects of guitar easier, but also more fun at the same time. I mean I set advanced parameters to where a real world amp’s transformer would have melted, that is fun!

I have two tube amps, one needs work and hasn’t been played in years. And the other is a head and I presently don’t have a cab, so it doesn’t get played. I haven’t played live using a tube amp in 4 years for bass, and 7 years for guitar. Digital solutions are the now, in the probably 20-25 bands I’ve seen live this last year, only 3 were using live amps on stage, and they were all the “older” of the bands. The rest had some sort of digital solution.

Personally I don’t think I will ever need to buy tubes again, since I have one set for my amp head, and when I get a cab it will be played occasionally at home only.

Overall, I’m thankful to have the Axe Fx, since it makes so many aspects of guitar easier, but also more fun at the same time. I mean I set advanced parameters to where a real world amp’s transformer would have melted, that is fun!
Not only that but if you are old like me then you remember how heavy tube amps are/were and what a pain load in/out was. Not only do you have something capable of producing amazing guitar tone in a small, lightweight package - but you can also bring along a semi-truck's worth of amps to your next gig with something that a small child can carry.

We are blessed indeed.

Last edited:
much like a bank the system just wasn’t prepared for “a run” on inventory.

You're probably at least partially right about panic buying...but the bank thing is worse. It's more like people selling inventory they know they don't have and won't ever be able to buy and still doing it. Except backwards.

But, uhh...my local shop that displays them still has at least some tubes (mostly JJ or GT, 12ax7s and the common power tubes in matched pairs) and has this whole time....I haven't looked at prices because I don't care. I sold all my amps.

I would say that I don't miss them, but I still watch amp demos on YT and still browse online stores. But whenever I think about actually buying one...I remember all the headaches and go back to playing my fractal.

And any time I think about it too deeply....I think very seriously about switching to a FAS amp model. Just because.

I cornered the tube market about 12 years ago. I'm gonna start selling as I get closer to retirement! Lol.
I know I've been considering same. No easy way to time that market on the sale side. Classic tube amps will always have value for collectors, but modern boutiques? On that one I'm not so sure. As digital modeling continues to nail the tone of modern boutiques, who would spend (and lug one if you are gigging) considering the alternative is so good and way more versatile? I don't need the money but I'm starting to think I would rather convert some of my "amp assets" into "new guitar assets". It would also free up some needed space in my studio.

I have a pretty decent collection of tubes new and used. One new pair is NOS EL34 C6A7 that are over 30 years old.
I have a friend who has an old tube tester. I put them all on and documented their readings. That was about 10 years ago.
I would be willing to sell the whole bunch of them. For Mesa, Marshall, Vox, preamp and power tubes.

You're probably at least partially right about panic buying...but the bank thing is worse. It's more like people selling inventory they know they don't have and won't ever be able to buy and still doing it. Except backwards.

But, uhh...my local shop that displays them still has at least some tubes (mostly JJ or GT, 12ax7s and the common power tubes in matched pairs) and has this whole time....I haven't looked at prices because I don't care. I sold all my amps.

I would say that I don't miss them, but I still watch amp demos on YT and still browse online stores. But whenever I think about actually buying one...I remember all the headaches and go back to playing my fractal.

And any time I think about it too deeply....I think very seriously about switching to a FAS amp model. Just because.
I love the FAS gear, and it’s my go-to, but I still have a bunch of tube amps because they’re fun and, face it, they’re always going to be the real deal. Also have a stack of pedals, cabs, and associated paraphernalia. I love playing them, and there’s no conflict in my mind between enjoying tube or digital gear, or both at once. I probably ought to sell most of it, but imagine I’ll always have at least one.

Oh, who am I kidding? I’m always going to have more gear than I can justify! :)

I love the FAS gear, and it’s my go-to, but I still have a bunch of tube amps because they’re fun and, face it, they’re always going to be the real deal. Also have a stack of pedals, cabs, and associated paraphernalia. I love playing them, and there’s no conflict in my mind between enjoying tube or digital gear, or both at once. I probably ought to sell most of it, but imagine I’ll always have at least one.

I didn't say I would get rid of all of them! ;) I'd probably just keep the classic, irreplaceable ones (example: the '64 deluxe) and convert the more modern boutiques into guitar money. I said somewhere else here that I would be keeping a death grip on at least 1 of my mesa 1x12 combos too (probably my 2c+).

But I have some expensive boutiques that I am not sure will be "collectable" in the long term. Those are starting to look like extra studio space and new guitars on the wall! Especially since the arrival of my FM9T.

I don't blame you. None of my amps were particularly collectible. If I'd had something really cool or that I was emotionally invested in, I probably would have kept it.

But, honestly, I've been fighting with amps since I started playing. In some ways, fractal is awesome to me just because it's cheaper, simpler, and better-sounding than the attenuators I've owned....everything else it does is a bonus.

Back
Top Bottom