The Fx 11 still looks great...

Dixiethedog

Experienced
I have just moved from an AX8 to a newer "more modern" FM3. I am a sucker for a good "Fractal" video on YT and clicked on a series of videos by @Moke where he demos his Fx-11 with his excellent tutorials which he includes in the videos.

I paid about the same price (£ UK)for my FM3 as I would expect to pay for a used Fx 11. I know we live in a hype this hype that kind of World where more modern is better but I seriously think that having watched Moke's videos the older unit would do everything I need in a Fractal unit. Yes, I have dyna cabs and probably more amps, etc but do I really need them? Probably not. I tend to stick to the usual Marshall, Fender, and Soldano types of amps. Basic stuff.

I don't regret buying an FM3 (other than for the crappy 3 switch which is still a steep learning curve for me) but I think any newbies looking to join the Fractal community should seriously look at the Fx 11.

Now, why is this man not doing demos for G66/Fractal?

One of six videos in his series.

I have just moved from an AX8 to a newer "more modern" FM3. I am a sucker for a good "Fractal" video on YT and clicked on a series of videos by @Moke where he demos his Fx-11 with his excellent tutorials which he includes in the videos.

I paid about the same price (£ UK)for my FM3 as I would expect to pay for a used Fx 11. I know we live in a hype this hype that kind of World where more modern is better but I seriously think that having watched Moke's videos the older unit would do everything I need in a Fractal unit. Yes, I have dyna cabs and probably more amps, etc but do I really need them? Probably not. I tend to stick to the usual Marshall, Fender, and Soldano types of amps. Basic stuff.

I don't regret buying an FM3 (other than for the crappy 3 switch which is still a steep learning curve for me) but I think any newbies looking to join the Fractal community should seriously look at the Fx 11.

Moke is great !! I´´m all in for the FX 12:)

(other than for the crappy 3 switch which is still a steep learning curve for me)

What type of switching do you need. With three switched I have five or scenes.

#1 = Scene 1 (clean) / Scene 2 (clean FX)
#2 = Scene 3 (crunch) / Scene 4 (crunch w/OD)
#3 = Scene 5 (dry lead) / Scene 6 (wet lead)

Also, with a two button external switch I have Tuner and View (to effects, etc).

PM if you want.

We like @Moke

Thanks
Pauly

I don't regret buying an FM3 (other than for the crappy 3 switch which is still a steep learning curve for me)
Did you expect more switches that did less when you brought it? I expected 3 switches when I bought mine, and was very excited when I learned what all they could do.

Did you expect more switches that did less when you brought it? I expected 3 switches when I bought mine, and was very excited when I learned what all they could do.
I knew exactly what to expect when I bought my FM3 (or for @unix-guy , my FM111 lol). I much prefer my "old" AX8 for its switching capabilities. If you have not tried an AX8 I would love for you to give one a try alongside an FM3. The old unit is so easy to use in almost all of its features. From the ease of adjustments from the front panel to the switches, I would choose an AX8 over an FM3 all day long. Fractal should have stuck with the AX8 layout and updated the electronics and trickery. But, the FM3 does sound good.

Going back though to where I started here, the Axe FX 2 can still give the newer units a run for their money. But they still need some footswitches. :)

I knew exactly what to expect when I bought my FM3 (or for @unix-guy , my FM111 lol). I much prefer my "old" AX8 for its switching capabilities. If you have not tried an AX8 I would love for you to give one a try alongside an FM3.
Along with the FM-3, I still have an AX-8, axe fx 11😉, axe fx11 XL😉, unit, but I only use the bottom row of switches, so the fm-3 works great for me. I am not sure sure why you say the FM-3 foot switches are "crappy" just because you wish it had more switches.

@Dixiethedog the Axe-Fx II is still a very capable machine. You could checkout some FM3 versions of my presets for tips and tricks on how I handled the more limited FM3.

The FM9 is a better upgrade from the AX8.
I have just last week bought your Thin Lizzy preset (as I had it on my AX8), which works beautifully. Just as a side note to this I bought some FM3 Gary Moore presets at the same time from another vendor and they are sh*t. LOL. A waste of money.

I have just last week bought your Thin Lizzy preset (as I had it on my AX8), which works beautifully. Just as a side note to this I bought some FM3 Gary Moore presets at the same time from another vendor and they are sh*t. LOL. A waste of money.
I do appreciate the post. And sorry about your bad experience with the other vendor. There are some very talented people making quality presets out there, which inspires many other (less experienced?) people to do the same.

Add to that the differences in guitars, pickups, pickup output, playback systems, playing dynamics, 'Amp in the Room' expectations, etc..

Along with the FM-3, I still have an AX-8, axe fx 11😉, axe fx11 XL😉, unit, but I only use the bottom row of switches, so the fm-3 works great for me. I am not sure sure why you say the FM-3 foot switches are "crappy" just because you wish it had more switches.
Although it might be considered a "relic" :) there is a AXE-FX II w/MFC-101 that I can get locally at a great price with the current yen/dollar rate.

Although it might be considered a "relic" :) there is a AXE-FX II w/MFC-101 that I can get locally at a great price with the current yen/dollar rate.
They may be relics, but they still perform. That's why I still have the ones I have. I only just got rid of my ultra a couple years ago. On another note, I know several who have paid extra to have new items relict, so if the price is good it should be a win win.

Back
Top Bottom