The Ferrari of Axe-Fx editors: iPad w/ Lemur

solo-act

Fractal Fanatic
Ready for V 7.0

Disclaimer: Not trying to slam Axe-Edit, it's amazingly powerful and will be an incredible one-stop-shop for all kinds of user needs. This iPad editor doesn't have nearly the capability, it's more like a stripped down Ferrari. It does one thing extremely well: edit blocks.

I've been editing blocks on the Axe-Fx since 2007, and this is hands down the fastest way to do it.
Speedy full screen editing, no mousing, every parameter at your fingers, or at most, one tap way. Edit multiple blocks in a single window! No syncing problems, no saving problems, use it wireless, midi routing controls multiple devices, etc.

It's easy to customize the way you like using the free Lemur editor. With a simple "save as" in Lemur editor you can create different templates for different needs (for example, a stripped down, touch screen "amp face" at your live gig) I could go on, but I'll let the screen shots say the rest.

Here's the current download link.
Here's a new version of Axe For Lemur....
The editor template is free. Lemur for iPad is $49.99, but you'll quickly forget that price once you use it.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/lemur/id481290621?ls=1&mt=8

One tap access to 10 of your favorite presets. Access to up to 50 favorites with two taps.
More info here http://forum.fractalaudio.com/showthread.php?t=54136&p=698381#post698381
7747020044_e1daef86b8_c.jpg

AMP BLOCK - Tap blue column buttons to access additional parameters
7747019898_0dbd3337e3_c.jpg

CAB & ROTARY
7747019656_297c897a59_c.jpg

COMPRESSOR & DRIVE
7747019542_773042cc8f_c.jpg

WAH & FILTER - toggle to multiple instances of a block within the same window
7747024062_0eaa99c76b_c.jpg

Last edited:
But wait...there's more!

Scrutinizer created this. PM him a thank you if you like it.

To maximize number of editable blocks and to make sure the ones you want are in future templates, please visit this thread and list the blocks you use the most.
While everyone's talking firmware 7, I need a hand

Edit three blocks in a single window -- PEQ, GEQ, VOL -- including all their instances
7747019260_3094591a29_c.jpg

PHASER & FLANGER - showing popup window in Flanger when you tap "LFO type" button
7747019154_16f7db97cf_c.jpg

CHORUS & PANNER/TREMOLO
7747019042_6e943d3c6b_c.jpg

DELAY & REVERB -- in a single window :)
7747018884_7588016aae_c.jpg

MATRIX WINDOW - lets you mute/bypass blocks on the fly - very fast. This is NOT a routing window, you can route in Axe-Edit or on the front panel, then simply hold down "get all" to load that routing into this editor.
7747018716_67f9f63b0a_c.jpg

I agree that Axe for Lemur is the fastest, most intuitive way to tweak the Axe. It exposes an insane amount of parameters in a beautifully orgnanized and easily accessed fashion. There is no quicker way I know to tweak a patch once the basic structure has been laid out via the Axe II or Axe Edit.

I have an iPad do you just need a Lemur app, as to create the layouts I believe a Mac is also needed ? Is this something I could get running with just the iPad ?

What are the options for connecting Lemur to the iPad?
Does USB with the Camera Connection Kit work?
Over WiFi when the Axe is connected to the Mac?

What are the options for connecting Lemur to the iPad?
Does USB with the Camera Connection Kit work?
Over WiFi when the Axe is connected to the Mac?
It works over WiFi when your Axe-Fx is connected to your Mac.

do you have to have axe edit open at the same time? or simply having the usb connected (drivers installed) will work?

do you have to have axe edit open at the same time? or simply having the usb connected (drivers installed) will work?

You don't need axe-edit to get the midi port once the axe is connected to the computer. So i guess lemur just works fine without axe-edit at all

You should be able to connect it directly to the Axe Fx (I or II) using MIDI. The recommended adapter is the iConnectMIDI.

Edit:
As noted later in the thread, this doesn't matter with Lemur because you need a program running on a computer to convert from the Lemur OSC output to MIDI and from MIDI back to OSC.

Last edited:
You should be able to connect it directly to the Axe Fx (I or II) using MIDI. The recommended adapter is the iConnectMIDI.
You'd need to connect your Axe-Fx II to a Mac first so the USB bootloader is installed, pull the USB cable, and then plug it in to that box. No turning off your Axe-Fx II in between there.

So if I want to use it live I need to bring my Mac and iPad?
Edit: Sorry just realized this was already asked.

I think you just need an iPad + the Lemur app installed + the AxeFx template + midi connectivity between the iPad and AxeFx II.

How you get the midi connectivity is what is being discussed.

I think you can't just connect iPad -> USB -> AxeFx II but I'm not sure why not?

Richard

I think you can't just connect iPad -> USB -> AxeFx II but I'm not sure why not?
See the comment #13 from iaresee just above:

You'd need to connect your Axe-Fx II to a Mac first so the USB bootloader is installed, pull the USB cable, and then plug it in to that box. No turning off your Axe-Fx II in between there.

I think you just need an iPad + the Lemur app installed + the AxeFx template + midi connectivity between the iPad and AxeFx II.

How you get the midi connectivity is what is being discussed.

Richard

Sorry but for me this is the only way I would want to mess with it.
No mac here

Last edited:
See the comment #13 from iaresee just above:

If you are using the iConnectMidi interface and you have a Mac :)

I was talking about just USB from the iPad to the AxeFx with no outboard midi interface.

Richard

If you are using the iConnectMidi interface and you have a Mac :)

I was talking about just USB from the iPad to the AxeFx with no outboard midi interface.

Holds true for connecting the Axe-Fx to your iPad through any interface. Even if you use the iPad camera kit you'd need to do this -- and I'm doubting that would work. And yes, you'd need a Mac. You need it to load the bootloader that makes it a CoreMIDI/CoreAudio interface. You only get that connecting to a Mac AFAIK. Connect it to Windows and you get whatever Windows needs it to look like loaded on to it. The iPad speaks Apple.

Holds true for connecting the Axe-Fx to your iPad through any interface. Even if you use the iPad camera kit you'd need to do this -- and I'm doubting that would work. And yes, you'd need a Mac. You need it to load the bootloader that makes it a CoreMIDI/CoreAudio interface. You only get that connecting to a Mac AFAIK. Connect it to Windows and you get whatever Windows needs it to look like loaded on to it. The iPad speaks Apple.

I think we are saying the same thing.

I too am skeptical a direct iPad -> AxeFx II with just a normal iPad dock -> USB cable would work.

Richard

Back
Top Bottom