The Feel of studio monitors...

scottp

Fractal Fanatic
So this question is about the feel when using studio monitors.
I run FRFR and until I get my volume up to a certain point it doesn't feel 100% right.
I am considering purchasing a pair of studio monitors for practice at home in my music room.
Will I have to run my monitors loud to get the right feel, if that makes cense?

I'm running the Axe-Fx xl 2+.

I used to practice with monitors, but at least in my case the volume wasn't sufficient to give me a satisfying outcome. I now practice with the axe into a fender mustang via the effects return input. It is much more satisfying.

My only opinion is they are probably a bit better for lower volumes than per se a higher wattage FRFR but Volume is volume and you'll still want some decent volume to dial in patches. I think my patches translate well but I would recheck your tweaks here and there on your stage setup just to be sure.

Yes and I am looking to practice along with CD's and YT clips.
When using my XiTone 1x12 at home for practice I typically see ~95db on the meter.

Volume does affect the tone regardless of what type of speaker you use.
But, studio monitors are a great choice for home practice with the Axe-Fx. I run my XL+ through a pair of KRK Rokit 6's and it sounds amazing. When I gig I run direct to the PA and I've never had to edit any settings on the Axe-Fx to cater for the PA. Monitors are great for building patches.

95 should not be a problem for a decent studio-monitor.
But man: practicing with 95dB? Watch your hearing. Tinnitus is a bitch (I know!).

Yes I do have Tinnitus and it sucks.
But hopefully I'll be able to use the studio monitors at a lower volume and still have good feel.?

So this question is about the feel when using studio monitors.
I run FRFR and until I get my volume up to a certain point it doesn't feel 100% right.
I am considering purchasing a pair of studio monitors for practice at home in my music room.
Will I have to run my monitors loud to get the right feel, if that makes cense?

I'm running the Axe-Fx xl 2+.

Yes, in order to have that connection, interaction (FEEL)!

I think that greatly depends on the monitors and amplification. The trick for me (in my home studio) was done with a semi vintage pair of JBL 4425s on a Carver TFM-42 (fully recapped) @ 2x375W RMS on 8Ω with a shit load of headroom; it’s the headroom of an SS-amp that makes the world go round.
I listened to lots of monitors (new and vintage) and looked long and hard. I came to the conclusion that what I paid for this setup, I would never get anything even close to the dynamics, detail, linearity, sound staging and big hairy balls tight low end, even if I paid a tenfold price.
A very unforgiving setup, if it sounds good it’s really good and if it sounds like shit it really sounds like shit. Tweaks done on this setup translate excellent to live FRFR setups.

So I’m happy as shit, because it gives me that inspirational driving sound that I can connect and interact with.

Near fields never cut it for me, they have absolutely no balls to speak of.

Last edited:
I'm running a pair of Yamaha HS8s and I'm very happy. Don't forget that studio monitors are directional and don't have a wide dispersal.

this is a functionality of physical components - sound waves, sympathetic vibration - and if you need that volume to feel right, i'd guess you'll need that volume to feel right no matter what speaker type you use.

I have the NL212 for live stuff and KRK Rokit 6 monitors for home studio use. I can't fault them & they aren't expensive.

+1 for the PreSonus Eris 8 monitors...have them, upgraded from 5" monitors and the "feel" is far better, great value for money with them.

+1 for the PreSonus Eris 8 monitors...have them, upgraded from 5" monitors and the "feel" is far better, great value for money with them.
Sweet! I really appreciate that. These are at the top of my list, may pull the trigger tonight.
I thought the best deal would be on Amazon, but I double checked ebay and found even lower prices there!

I got mine locally (CL) from a studio who was upgrading but their mint..couldn't likely be happier given the price point.

Personus Eris 8 monitors here, in an untreated room. Fine for the "feel", so I would totally recommend them unless you plan to do some serious mixing.

I'm running a pair of Yamaha HS8s and I'm very happy. Don't forget that studio monitors are directional and don't have a wide dispersal.

I'm a bit late on this thread, sorry I just found it. ;)

Is being directional a feature common among studio monitors? It does seem so, and I'm interested in the answer because I want to buy some FRFR speakers for my Axe, but I'd rather have a wider dispersion (like the Matrix Q12 seems to have).

Back
Top Bottom