the FAS amps!!!

ByTheHandOf

Inspired
The last few years I have been playing my AxeFx XL directly though PA using cab sims when playing live, and some times rehearsing. usually I rehearse using my Mesa Triaxis through a Marshall 8008 poweramp (my 2:Ninety is broken and pending repair (read: Need money for repair), which sounds awesome as would be expected.
In the weekend I was rehearsing with a new band, and brought along my axefx in case I would need effects or alternate tones. I ran it directly through the 8008 to 2 2x12 Mesa cabs. My "main" amps are usually the PVHs for high gain, but I had some time so i tried our other amps. For the first time I tried the FAS models through real cabs and WOW!!! The sound, and especially the low end of the FAS MODERN II is insane!! I've had many high gain amps throughout the years, but have never experiende such a tight low end in the room!! The amp never did anything for me when I auditioned it through various cab sims in the studio, but through the speaker it (and it hurts me to say this) totally blows away the competition (read: Triaxis)!

Just wanted to share my joy! :)

The Ultra and now, the II, have crushed any preamp GAS I ever had and, bonus, I don't even have to deal with tube power amps anymore. I was doing the rack preamp + tube power amp thing when I went FAS and I was seriously looking at redoing the whole rig using rare, expensive, if it breaks you'll never find another, stuff like the Bogner Fish and Soldano X99.

The preamp use model is so killer because you just go straight to a legit 'in the room' experience with zero effort and insane flexibility.

I've only spent time with the three FAS Modern models (so far!) and they're all gems. For other high gain models, I usually like to engage the bass cut switch, but the FAS Moderns stay tight and huge without having to engage the switch. Good stuff!

Back
Top Bottom