The Count of Tuscany attempt with crappy patch.........

torkolort

Inspired
I created this patch in less than 5 minutes. Just added drive, amp, cab, delay, EQ and loop and recorded. Hardly any tweaking, because I suck at it. It sounds awful imo. :) But I'm trying to learn...

http://www.4shared.com/file/190383516/8 ... TCOT1.html
http://www.4shared.com/file/190384122/3 ... TCOT2.html
Recorded only the two parts I like the most with this song. The sudden ending of the first part is because my audio interface driver stopped right in the middle of the recording and I am too lazy to do finish it.

I'm looking for petrucci-ish lead and rhythm. When I try different patches, I always feel something's not right. Often the rhythm patches lack tone definition, has some annoying fuzziness, don't sustain the way I want, and feels like the notes are sort of "chocking" on the way out. For lead patches I am missing the soft smoothness on the higher tones. When I play, it sounds metallic and distorted, and I feel I need more gain, but then it only gets worse...

God, it's so hard to explain :roll:

Since I live in an apartment, I usually play with headphones and record direct into Cubase. Everything sounds better when playing through the Atomic FR but I have whiny neighbors...:(
Yes, of course it all depends a lot on technique and finger skills, but I've come across some decent tones from time to time and it's much easier to play good when the tone is right!

Sigh, I'm so lost in this world...

Give this patch a try:

Petrucci_Rhythm.syx

It is a variation on the Petrucci patch that comes standard with the Axe-Fx presets.

I have been trying for a long, long time to get a good petrucci rhythm. Basics of my set-up are Axe-Fx direct to Focusrite Pro40 Firewire interface and then direct to Behringer Truth monitors, using a prestige Ibanez 2550 with D-sonic and air norton pickups. Sounds excellent (and so close to one of his older tones it is scary) on my gear.

Your milage may vary, but it might give you a start.

VidarAus

VidarAus said:
Give this patch a try:

Petrucci_Rhythm.syx

It is a variation on the Petrucci patch that comes standard with the Axe-Fx presets.

I have been trying for a long, long time to get a good petrucci rhythm. Basics of my set-up are Axe-Fx direct to Focusrite Pro40 Firewire interface and then direct to Behringer Truth monitors, using a prestige Ibanez 2550 with D-sonic and air norton pickups. Sounds excellent (and so close to one of his older tones it is scary) on my gear.

Your milage may vary, but it might give you a start.

VidarAus

Very nice, thank you!

The problem lies in my recording setup. I'm using a TC Elektronic Konnekt 8 firewire interface into Cubase. First I tried to use the balanced out from the axe into the mic input on the konnekt, and then I tried using regular jacks. There is a huge difference in the sound when playing with this setup than when playing through the Atomic. Even this crappy patch sounds decent when I use the Atomic, but when recording it just sounds awful. It somehow loses gain and tone definition. I haven't tried spdif yet, maybe that would be better? Or is the best option to place a mic in front of the Atomic? Problem is that I can't play too loud.

Back
Top Bottom