The Burger Thread

Awesome!! :)

I am going to do it in the smoker at 250F until it gets to temp, and then reverse sear in the oven at 500F
for 10 to 15 minutes.

Pretty sure I'll sleep for 2 whole days afterwards. ;)

Bon Appetit!!!!

I’m cooking our prime rib using McCormick Grill Mates Montreal Steak seasoning.
I cover the whole thing very liberally and yum.

I appreciate your choice to help improve our environment. We should all strive to cultivate a better world, but many don't have a clue to know how to proceed.

What type of plant-based burger do you prefer? Something whole grain-based? Your preference of brand name might be helpful in my making decisions as to whether it might be possible to switch from beef to plant-based.

And I appreciate your curiosity :)

Saying "I make vegetarian burgers" I'm cheating, and preparing pre made pattys :) They're local to my country I believe, found in many grocery stores here(see image). Mostly contains potatoes, aspargus and corn. Doesnt sound that exiting but they're actually quite good, much cheaper than beef, and quick to throw together. Other local veggie resturants here make great veggie burgers, that doesnt try to be meat. I don't know what they're made of, but I can appreciate these kind of burgers as much as I enjoy a grilled beef burger with bacon. We should all eat more veggies anyway, and try to get used to the idea that a true meal doesn't have to contain meat. It's just something many have gotten used to growing up, myself included :)

If I wanted to make a patty from scratch, I'm sure google/youtube would have a ton of ideas for recipies trying out and experimenting with.

Regarding the plant based meat/burger, here's an inspiring vid with Mark Rober (and Bill Gates!);

Attachments

• LivLaga_mockup-plantebasert-burger_web.png
    LivLaga_mockup-plantebasert-burger_web.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
If I go out for one, if the line isn't long, I'll duck into In&Out. It's not amazing, but it's cheap and quick, and damn good for being cheap and quick. I'll hit a few local bars that make some good burgers if I'm in the area, which is rare the last couple of years. Otherwise, I make them at home. Over the pandemic, I got lazy though. Stack of frozen burgers from Costco. Not great, but I don't have to leave the house.

I always hated hamburger, and while that's not the reason, I did become a vegetarian. The closer they get with impossible/beyond, the more I find these things disgusting.

Same. I really love black bean burgers, though. The storebought ones are pretty bland, but these are awesome. My wife and I make a big batch of these at least once a month and freeze them.

Thought to re-animate this thread, because most all of America, save for conscientious health people, enjoy a good burger. Also, because our local grocer offered $3.99/lb. 85% hamburger this week. Thank you. Grocer, if you're reading this, this is my homage to you.

In memory of MasterChef competition, here is my offering, humble that it may be:

Olive oil
Pat butter
Sesame seed roll (bun)
½ lb. 85% ground hamburger, molded with bare hands into ½ to ¾" patty
Salt & Pepper
1 slice bacon, cut in half, cooked to chewy crisp
Couple slices of cheddar
Ketchup
Dijon Mustard
2 Pickle Stackers (optional)
Bamboo Skewer

Slice roll across the middle, divide into top/bottom. Flatten roll as needed. Pop into toaster set for medium browning. Plate roll; set aside.
Utilizing 12" non-stick skillet, lightly oil and place pat of butter in skillet; preheat to medium-high.
Once oil begins to shimmer, season burger top and bottom with salt and pepper
Place burger into skillet; set timer for 6 minutes. After 3 minutes, reduce heat to medium
Allow to sauté for 6 minutes; do not move the burger in the skillet.
Once 6 minutes is up, flip burger over and cover skillet with lid. Set timer again for 6 minutes
Allow to sauté for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes place cheddar slices atop burger. Return lid to cover.
Spread Dijon mustard on lower half of roll, ketchup on upper half. Place pickles (optional) on lower half.
Once 6 minutes is done, transfer burger with melted cheese to lower half of roll. Place bacon atop burger. Cover with upper half roll.

Presentation: A bamboo skewer down the center holds things together until the burger makes it to the table. (Also makes a handy guide for slicing burger in half, if that's your style.)

I went into Whataburger for the first time in April and man was that a disappointment.
Must have been their seasoning...buns of jello, no doubt...

Yup, we used to have Five Guys Burgers & Fries, though I think they folded some years ago.

What replaced them was Wayback Burgers...and likely a silly reason why FAS was appealing at the time...😉

Five Guys is alive and well here. So good. So bad for ya, though. It's like a once-a-year thing for me. And ya
need a long nap afterwards. :)

Must have been their seasoning...buns of jello, no doubt...

Yup, we used to have Five Guys Burgers & Fries, though I think they folded some years ago.

What replaced them was Wayback Burgers...and likely a silly reason why FAS was appealing at the time...😉
The fries were cold and soggy first of all

The burger was a gray disk with no flavor of any kind that I could detect but the thing that pissed me off the most was the lettuce.

Lettuce should be pieces of whole leaves from a roughly, minimally, chopped head of lettuce, not shredduce. Shredduce sucks. It soaks up whatever the condiments are (mayo, mustard, ketchup, whatever) can creates an oil slick upon which the entire burger contents can spill out the ass end while you're trying to eat it.

BUT... I didn't even get shredduce. I got the hard knuckles of lettuce chunks that you find near the root of a head of lettuce which made the entire burger about as annoying as possible - the unsatisfying bite and chew, the disintegration, the lack of flavor.

Oh and the place was nasty, too. Maybe a good Whataburger might be good, but these people clearly gave zero fks and it showed in the food.

The fries were cold and soggy first of all

The burger was a gray disk with no flavor of any kind that I could detect but the thing that pissed me off the most was the lettuce.

Lettuce should be pieces of whole leaves from a roughly, minimally, chopped head of lettuce, not shredduce. Shredduce sucks. It soaks up whatever the condiments are (mayo, mustard, ketchup, whatever) can creates an oil slick upon which the entire burger contents can spill out the ass end while you're trying to eat it.

BUT... I didn't even get shredduce. I got the hard knuckles of lettuce chunks that you find near the root of a head of lettuce which made the entire burger about as annoying as possible - the unsatisfying bite and chew, the disintegration, the lack of flavor.

Oh and the place was nasty, too. Maybe a good Whataburger might be good, but these people clearly gave zero fks and it showed in the food.
Sorry to hear Whataburger didn't perform up to your standards. Sometimes you gotta tear down before you can upbuild. Familiar with my Dad's stories about his USAR service training. Hope the scenery was better than the food.

Five Guys is alive and well here. So good. So bad for ya, though. It's like a once-a-year thing for me. And ya
need a long nap afterwards. :)
Yup. Only if I needed to boost my calorie intake (mostly unnecessary) would family visit WayBack. Just trying to stay hydrated during the heat wave and cool if possible. Not exactly keen on high outdoor temps.

Back
Top Bottom