The Brian May issue

Hello there

I have filmed and recorded a few Brian May solos from classic Queen tracks.
All played with my Axe Fx Ultra and a Burns Brian May Red Special.

A collection of Brian May solos - YouTube

I have been a long time Queen fan and I think it kinda shows in my playing ;)

I tweaked the B-May preset on the Ultra, by removing the Wah (obviously!!) and changing AC30 models with added Treble Booster.
Some Delay also used and a light phaser in some parts.

The long delay on Brighton Rock Solo is not the Axe's, it's done via Pro Tools.

Hope you enjoy
william barbero - williambarbero.net

Wow. Really really got 'it'.

Brian May is one of my favorite guitarists... you got those solos nailed. Impressive!

When I was a kid, long before I played a guitar... I bought "Jazz"* when it came out, and the solo on "Dead On Time" hit me like lightening... I knew right then that I was going to learn to play guitar. The inside spread of the interior of the studio with the guitars all about... never forgot it.

*Oh, and the poster that came with the album? That sealed the deal. :D

Great stuff, to a player that over time has kind of become an unsung hero, at least in America. I know Queen remains as big as the Beatles in UK and other countries but you don't hear enough about them here. Brian May is one of my all time favorite players, and is a brilliant songwriter and vocalist as well. Not to mention he got his PhD in Astrophysics. He's a mutant is what he is. You definitely have his feel down. Cool as hell that you did Brighton Rock and some other deep cuts as well.

Thank you so much for the kind comments. It is insane that with the Ultra and just a few minutes' worth of tweaking you can come up with a tone so similar to Brian's. I was lucky to see him playing live a couple of times and standing in front of a stack of 12 AC30s is a bit different lol but the Ultra gets as close as you possibly can, without a room full of expensive and unique equipment!

Strumzilla - I think some of Freddie's antics and Hot Space as an album probably stopped Queen from global domination in the US.

Thanks for watching

Great work man! Loved it all, and +1 on Brian May being totally underrated......he's one of my favs, and even though I haven't heard these songs in years, I could still sing along to every note. THAT'S when you know you're a great guitarist!

willbarbero said:
Thank you so much for the kind comments. It is insane that with the Ultra and just a few minutes' worth of tweaking you can come up with a tone so similar to Brian's. I was lucky to see him playing live a couple of times and standing in front of a stack of 12 AC30s is a bit different lol but the Ultra gets as close as you possibly can, without a room full of expensive and unique equipment!

Strumzilla - I think some of Freddie's antics and Hot Space as an album probably stopped Queen from global domination in the US.

Thanks for watching

Queen is definitely on my unfulfilled concert wish list along with LZ and Pink Floyd. I've seen just about everyone else I have ever wanted to see live. If they ever do the Paul Rodgers + Queen again, I'll go see them definitely.

It's too bad the American audience were partially diminished because of anything Freddie did on stage or in his personal life. I can't think of a more talented rock singer, his voice was always amazing from the first album to the last. It's a measure of his talent that Brian May and Roger Taylor were "backing" vocalists in a sense.

He was a great showman as well, and it never bothered me if he was blatant about his sexuality. I love watching the various Wembley videos including Live Aid. I've never seen one man so deftly control such a huge audience.

That's brilliant. I love Brian May. He's one of my all time favourites and you nailed the tone and feel perfectly. I loved the Brighton Rock bit. Superb..

Don't stop me is spot on! :)
I want it all is too polite... the original sound raw...
Brighton... well :))

Sometimes the sound is a bit on the dry side compared to studio... but you nailed it! :)

Amazing ! Rarely can watch a video for more than 5 minutes but here I stay scotched to the screen, can't stop it !! Will extract the sound of youtube for in the car !!! Thanks for that great job.

Wow - Beautiful - Brings back memories for me as a teenager in the mid 70's - Brian May's guitar tone was like something from another world when I first heard it.

Back
Top Bottom