The Big FRFR Shootout

Based on all of this discussion regarding accurately reproducing recorded music, it sounds like there wouldn't be much difference between a good home stereo speaker and a good FRFR (non-powered) speaker, at least for home practice purposes. Am I over simplifying it, or missing something? Has anyone ever run an Axe FX through a hifi power amp and home stereo speakers?

axel said:
Am I over simplifying it, or missing something? Has anyone ever run an Axe FX through a hifi power amp and home stereo speakers?
That will depend on the quality of your home stereo but in general terms, you are correct. In my case, a 30 year old set of Tannoy Berkeley home stereo speakers and a 75 watt, solid state, Dynaco power amp sounded great (with some treble added), and noticeably better than the portable FRFR solutions I had evaluated.

Terry.

raz said:
Jay Mitchell said:
No. When the processor creates all the nonlinear and nonideal (e.g., guitar cab) sounds, the considerations for reproducing recorded music and guitar are identical within the band of guitar frequencies plus overtones created by distortion products (practically speaking, no higher than ~10kHz).

Yes, but that's my point: the quality that most stood out about the FBT-12ma's playing the recorded music was bass response. The significance of such response when reproducing a recording of a full ensemble is a different consideration than when reproducing only the signal from a single instrument. The fact that all present preferred the sound of that speaker reproducing that device playing that song in that acoustic environment, without considering what factors contributed to it, doesn't lead to any objective conclusions, does it?

Actually.....I agree that the 12MA having solid but not exaggerated lows.....but it was the excellent clarity in the high end and the over all balance when playing the music track that it excelled at.

axel said:
Based on all of this discussion regarding accurately reproducing recorded music, it sounds like there wouldn't be much difference between a good home stereo speaker and a good FRFR (non-powered) speaker, at least for home practice purposes.
In a perfect world, both types of speaker would be sonically neutral. In the real world, home hifi speakers are typically closer to neutral than sound reinforcement speakers. That is not to say that home hifi speakers can be counted on to be neutral, just that they tend to be closer than SR products. My impression of the current generation of small nearfield monitors is that most of them are acceptably neutral, with the exception of deep (sub-80 Hz) bass.

Has anyone ever run an Axe FX through a hifi power amp and home stereo speakers?
It's done all the time.

In answer to Axel, the dilemma with home stereo speakers is the same as with any FRFR speaker out there: which ones are good references, versus those that are too colored? That's why many people claim great success with reference studio monitors, which are designed to be less prone to coloration. They make for rather poor choices for a high end stereo, but are great for a mixing desk. Similarly, a great FRFR solution should not be tailored to "sound better for guitar", because then it's no longer FRFR, is it? And what sounds good on that "for guitar" monitor may not translate all that well on the variety of FOH systems that you will feed into when playing venues.

In my book, there is no perfect FRFR monitor. You want to choose one that is neutral enough that your patches, once tweaked to sound good on that monitor, will translate reasonably well on the avreage FOH system out there (of which there is an infinite variety).

Hello All,
This longtime lurker finally speaks out -- in defense of his beloved Atomic FR's...
I agree the high end is rolled off out-of-the-box. Some might prefer this, but I like my patches with plenty of grit.
So... I dialed up a PEQ that matches my studio monitors VERY closely -with equal high end detail - and that's with the tweeter set at noon. Now the only significant difference I notice is the Atomics sound more in-the-room than the studio monitors -- oh, and they look much better too!

I use OUT1 to the mixer/monitors/DAW, and OUT2 to the Atomics via an ART Clean Box (1/4" to balanced XLR) to kill the noise from my light dimmers. I simply insert the PEQ and LOOP into every patch and I've got the best of both worlds - the same sounds come from the Atomics and the studio monitors.

So this being my first post... Thanks Cliff ! Thanks Tom! Thank you FAS team! and thanks to all the forum members who've helped me along the way.

SRVetta

SRVetta said:
I simply insert the PEQ and LOOP into every patch and I've got the best of both worlds - the same sounds come from the Atomics and the studio monitors.
Excellent!

Do you mind sharing your PEQ settings?

Terry.

Tone Seeker said:
SRVetta said:
I simply insert the PEQ and LOOP into every patch and I've got the best of both worlds - the same sounds come from the Atomics and the studio monitors.
Excellent!

Terry.

I´m also very interested in this
RB

Dpoirier said:
In answer to Axel, the dilemma with home stereo speakers is the same as with any FRFR speaker out there: which ones are good references, versus those that are too colored? That's why many people claim great success with reference studio monitors, which are designed to be less prone to coloration. They make for rather poor choices for a high end stereo, but are great for a mixing desk.

Interestingly when you get to real hi end systems speakers are very neutral and revealing, infact they are so revealing that some of my favorite CD´s are never played on my reference system, as all the faults in the mixing are very obvious. This has to do with a lot of albums being overly compressed to sound good on low end systems like iPods, car stereos and low fi systems. The consequence being that the dynamics of the music is hindered and none of the micro-dynamics are present. So one could argue that good studio monitors could be a good choise for a true high end stereo set

Similarly, a great FRFR solution should not be tailored to "sound better for guitar", because then it's no longer FRFR, is it? And what sounds good on that "for guitar" monitor may not translate all that well on the variety of FOH systems that you will feed into when playing venues.
Ageed, it may not

In my book, there is no perfect FRFR monitor. You want to choose one that is neutral enough that your patches, once tweaked to sound good on that monitor, will translate reasonably well on the avreage FOH system out there (of which there is an infinite variety).
Totally agree, get a neutral monitor to tweak patches on and monitor yourself, it should translate well on a decent FOH system, and of course a competent soundtech could make minute eq changes if needed ( the incompetent soundtech would put up his standard "guitar-eq")

Glad you finally did this review Mike and Co! Good work!
For me - 2 FBT's 12ma's in front of me(monitor) and 2 Atomic FR's behind me is my heroin!! ;)

GuitarDojo said:
Glad you finally did this review Mike and Co! Good work!
For me - 2 FBT's 12ma's in front of me(monitor) and 2 Atomic FR's behind me is my heroin!! ;)

Have you had the chance to compare them to a fairly flat "reference" (like a hi end set of studio speakers or Hi end FRFR), and if so, which pair is the most neutral and transparent sounding ??
Which pair would you preferre/keep, if you could only pick one of them?
Thanks
RB

Tone Seeker said:
SRVetta said:
Excellent!

TS and RB - I don't mind at all. I'll post the PEQ settings next time I sit down with the Axe - hopefully tomorrow.

SRVetta

SRVetta said:
Hello All,
This longtime lurker finally speaks out -- in defense of his beloved Atomic FR's...
I agree the high end is rolled off out-of-the-box. Some might prefer this, but I like my patches with plenty of grit.
So... I dialed up a PEQ that matches my studio monitors VERY closely -with equal high end detail - and that's with the tweeter set at noon. Now the only significant difference I notice is the Atomics sound more in-the-room than the studio monitors -- oh, and they look much better too!

I use OUT1 to the mixer/monitors/DAW, and OUT2 to the Atomics via an ART Clean Box (1/4" to balanced XLR) to kill the noise from my light dimmers. I simply insert the PEQ and LOOP into every patch and I've got the best of both worlds - the same sounds come from the Atomics and the studio monitors.

So this being my first post... Thanks Cliff ! Thanks Tom! Thank you FAS team! and thanks to all the forum members who've helped me along the way.

SRVetta

I would like to see your PEQ settings as well. I'm currently setup the exact same way (output 2 <L and R> to DAW out to Adam A5's) and output 1 <L> XLR out to Atomic. I use PEQ in BOTH scenarios right now, but I much prefer the tones I'm getting through the Atomic. I have a lot more tweaking to do to find the sweet spot between the Atomic FR config and the exact same patch on the Adam A5's. I think a few things that don't translate are:
1. Low end response on the small 5" drivers in the Adams
2. High end detail seems more harsh on the Adam A5's
3. Overdrive at low volumes sounds raspy on the A5's, but it sounds EXCELLENT on the Atomic FR. Once again, due to the 12" drive on the Atomic FR I presume. I can dial volumes down so I can hear the pick attack and a "shadow" of the overdrive on the Atomic's and it still sounds (and feels) really good. That is just not happening through the Adam A5's.
4. The Adam A5's are pointing at my head... the Atomic is 6" off the floor on a stand, but still much lower so obviously that accounts for a lot as well.

Gasp100 said:
SRVetta said:
Hello All,

SRVetta

I would like to see your PEQ settings as well. I'm currently setup the exact same way (output 2 <L and R> to DAW out to Adam A5's) and output 1 <L> XLR out to Atomic. I use PEQ in BOTH scenarios right now, but I much prefer the tones I'm getting through the Atomic. I have a lot more tweaking to do to find the sweet spot between the Atomic FR config and the exact same patch on the Adam A5's. I think a few things that don't translate are:
1. Low end response on the small 5" drivers in the Adams
2. High end detail seems more harsh on the Adam A5's
3. Overdrive at low volumes sounds raspy on the A5's, but it sounds EXCELLENT on the Atomic FR. Once again, due to the 12" drive on the Atomic FR I presume. I can dial volumes down so I can hear the pick attack and a "shadow" of the overdrive on the Atomic's and it still sounds (and feels) really good. That is just not happening through the Adam A5's.
4. The Adam A5's are pointing at my head... the Atomic is 6" off the floor on a stand, but still much lower so obviously that accounts for a lot as well.

Finally had some time with the Axe tonight. Here are the PEQ settings I'm using on Out2 (Atomic FR's) to match up to my studio monitors (Out 1). Gasp 100, from your description above I doubt we'll be in the same ballpark as I'm primarily adding low and high end to the Atomics.
Disclaimers :
- I'm new at this, so go easy on me (you too JM!)
- My monitors are Behringer :oops: Truth B2031A's + a sub
- I tried to match the responses at my listening position in front of the Truth's, Atomics are at either end of the untreated room (12" off the floor), so room effects are very much baked into my EQ settings
- as I said before, I like high end grit, of which the Truth's seem to have plenty
- I play at low to medium volume

Here are two EQ versions I'm using . The first requires two blocks -- I'd like to get it back down to one if possible.

Main PEQ
/1(shelf) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5(shelf)
Freq /35 / 530 / 2065 / 2862 / 8530
Q /.6 / 3.67 / 3.15 / 5 / .905
Gain /12 / 7.37 / -10 / 3.5 / 9.54

Aux PEQ
/2 /3
Freq/ 5805 /7216
Q/ 2.315 /4.09
Gain/ -2.08 /6.43

Version 2 (single PEQ block)

/1(shelf) /2 /3 /4 /5(shelf)
Freq /35 /530 /2065 /n/a /8530
Q /.6 /3.67 /3.15 /n/a /.905
Gain /12 /7.37 /-8.98 /n/a /12

YMMV of course, but just wanted to point out that for me the Atomics seem to produce the full spectrum from ridiculous lows --matching my sub-equipped monitor setup-- to very detailed highs.

SRVetta

axel said:
Based on all of this discussion regarding accurately reproducing recorded music, it sounds like there wouldn't be much difference between a good home stereo speaker and a good FRFR (non-powered) speaker, at least for home practice purposes. Am I over simplifying it, or missing something? Has anyone ever run an Axe FX through a hifi power amp and home stereo speakers?
I play mine through a HiFi system (Sony reciever-2 Infinity 61/2" speakers-Sony sub) and it sounds fine. In fact, I just got together with some friends last week and played through my friends PA which comprised of 2 Mackie SR1530's and my patches sounded great through them without having to make any EQ adjustments. So for home use, A HiFi system can work as long as you keep the reciever's EQ settings flat(Bass,Treble) to keep it as nuetral as possible.

Thanks for the review. It's good information for new Ax-Fx owners who are on the fence about
which way to go. It was very much a leap of faith for me to go with FBT, a company I had never
heard of and could not test run. I ended up with a 12ma and an 8ma. At home I add one Dynaudio
BM7a, summing output 1 to output 2, for a little extra fill. Playing out, if I'm in a restaurant doing
background music, the 8ma covers it, for a club blues or rock gig, I use the 12ma solo or paired
with the 8ma (if I need more). The V, B & T adjustments on the 12ma let me back off a bit
of volume and bass so that the pair is not to lopsided. The FBTs are very quiet, but if I'm
rocking, all I need do is turn my position to add a feedback howl. Because I like rock, two
8ma's would not have given me the low end feel I get from this dual size configuration.

I created my first presets in my home studio on a pair of Mackie HR824's... I EQ'd them to sound the way I would record and mix guitars to sound on an album... maybe a little brighter than most people would EQ them, if they were trying to emulate the sound of just a live guitar rig. I brought the Axe FX to my studio and the sounds translated VERY well on a pair of Genelec Studio monitors ( somewhat standard but VERY good studio monitors ).
Took the Axe FX to the first gig, and plugged direct in to the PA... no cabs, no mics... and NO EQ on the board... piped it into the monitors, and sounded pretty darn good... pretty close to the sound created on the Mackies/Genelecs...

I picked up a QSC K12, which sounded pretty good, but was lacking some of the mids that were pretty prominent in the sounds I created. My feel is that the K12's would be good for someone who creates presets that sound more like a live amp ( not recorded/processed ), that are a little darker. The seeming presence peak would most likely liven up the darker presets. The K12 is also RIDICULOUSLY loud !!

Back
Top Bottom