The best, most flexible rack build in my world!

SimonDreyer

Inspired
Hi Folks, I'm working on moving my AxeFxIII out of the main FOH rack and into it's own rack. We use an Allen&Heath Qu-SB, for FOH and monitoring, and I'm running wireless guitar, vocals and IEM. I want to be able to use the Axe and all the wireless and IEM systems without the Main FOH rack!
This what I need to achieve:
1) When we are using the full PA system, I need to feed both the guitar and vocals to the FOH as well as getting a full band stereo monitor mix into my IEM.
2) When using the rack on its own I need to get my guitar and vocal mix into my IEM.
The ULTRALINK PRO MX882 allows each input to be either routed to the main stereo output (and have the input linked to it's output, allowing for passthrough), 'mix' mode. or for each output to be fed from the main outputs, 'split' mode.
This solution allows me to always feed my guitar and vocals directly to my IEM (So I can take them out of my monitor mix from that I get from the band) and also allows me to have physical control knobs for these levels in my IEM (without having to use the iPhone app). The monitor mix that I get from the band goes into the main inputs on the Ultralink and is linked directly to the main outputs (to the IEM), my vocals come in on Channels 1&2, and Guitar on Channels 3&4,. Both are mixed to the IEM with level and pan control. Channel 5 is in 'split' mode so it sends the main output mix to the a foldback speaker (if required). Both the guitar and vocals are always routed to the connection panel to feed FOH.
The Boss VE-500 is switched via midi from the AxeFx (I run dedicated patches for every song), but can be bypassed with a footswitch (when I have the pleasure of a sound person who can do a better job than the Boss! :)).
Any comments appreciated, cheers

AxeRack.png

I also do not like seeing FASLINK through any kind of patch panel. I'd use a direct XLR from the Axe-Fx to the FC.
I hear you, and if I ever have an issue that would be the first place I would look (I've had it through a patch for a year so far), but I'm far more concerned with someone tripping on my FASLINK cable and destroying the socket on the Fractal. And, yes folks are correct, the Boss wants the guitar to get the harmony info.

I also do FASLINK through a panel, have since day one, never had an issue. Also using the world's cheapest Amazon XLR cable with 90 ends, never had an issue. Only switching issue Ive ever had was FC6 abuse knocked ribbon cable loose to all kinds of WTF problems but that only took a minute to diagnose and 10 minutes to repair naturally setting up for a gig when that happened.

Wondering the same. Maybe the Boss recognizes the guitar signal to match key when adding a harmony to the vocal?
That's how it works in one of my bands. The rhythm guitarist calls it the "harmony cable" - just a direct send of his signal, so the Boss vocal processor can select the correct harmonies to output. Saves the vocalist the trouble of setting up redundant presets for various keys.

Back
Top Bottom