The Axe-Fx III Friedman sounds like crap! No wait... never mind.

LSDWash

I've had the Axe-Fx II for many years and the Friedman models (both BE and HBE) have been my main models. I got my Axe-Fx III a couple days ago and was super excited to hear the updated Friedman models. Imagine my surprise when I pulled up the preset "Friedman HBE V1 (2)" and it sounded like total garbage. All the other presets sounded amazing but the Friedman, arguably the most talked-about model, sounded terrible in all the scenes.

Well, after digging a little and getting used to how the unit worked, I discovered that there were quite a few Friedman amps which I was super happy about. But that preset still sounded awful until I went to the Cab block and realized that it had 2 "User Cabs" selected that don't exist in the stock unit. They were both <empty>. Of COURSE it's going to sound horrible with no cabinet!! So after auditioning hundreds of cabinets I settled on a couple that sounded incredible.

Apparently I pulled in a bogus present from Axe-Change and saved it over the factory preset.

I re-downloaded the factory presets and installed them all with Fractal Bot and it's still screwed up in the presets. Does anyone know if this is a mistake on Fractal's part? This is like a pretty big oversight since Friedman is one of their most popular amp models. I would think they would have created several presets that showcase the Friedman and the various models rather than shipping ONE broken preset and making new users have to dig around and fix the presets themselves.

All that said, once I actually added a working Cab IR to the chain, it's everything I had hoped for and more! Simply amazing!!!

Last edited:
I've had the Axe-Fx II for many years and the Friedman models (both BE and HBE) have been my main models. I got my Axe-Fx III a couple days ago and was super excited to hear the updated Friedman models. Imagine my surprise when I pulled up the preset "Friedman HBE V1 (2)" and it sounded like total garbage. All the other presets sounded amazing but the Friedman, arguably the most talked-about model, sounded terrible in all the scenes.

Well, after digging a little and getting used to how the unit worked, I discovered that there were quite a few Friedman amps which I was super happy about. But that preset still sounded awful until I went to the Cab block and realized that it had 2 "User Cabs" selected that don't exist in the stock unit. They were both <empty>. Of COURSE it's going to sound horrible with no cabinet!! So after auditioning hundreds of cabinets I settled on a couple that sounded incredible.

I re-downloaded the factory presets and installed them all with Fractal Bot and it's still screwed up in the presets. Does anyone know if this is a mistake on Fractal's part? This is like a pretty big oversight since Friedman is one of their most popular amp models. I would think they would have created several presets that showcase the Friedman and the various models rather than shipping ONE broken preset and making new users have to dig around and fix the presets themselves.

All that said, once you actually add a working Cab IR to the chain, it's everything I had hoped for and more!
Did you save the preset, after changing the cab?

Would be grateful if anyone could kindly share a good Friedman preset? I haven't yet been successful in getting that high gain punchy tone that turns to total glassy clean with volume rolled back. I was able to get that with my previous AX8.

i haven't played around with many cabs, cause i love the way this sounds!
could it be improved with a different cab, not sure?
The only other thing im doing, is running two friedman amp blocks
HBE V1 top, BE V1 bottom

Attachments

• IMG_0033.JPG
    IMG_0033.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 89
That's strange. Did you buy used? Maybe needs a full factory reset?

My favorite right now is the HBE 2018 version. It doesn't need as much tinkering to get rid of the low end boom. It can be bright but the right cabs will counteract. I'm liking it with the Legacy Friedman 4x12 (60 and 61 I believe) panned slightly L/R.

Would be grateful if anyone could kindly share a good Friedman preset? I haven't yet been successful in getting that high gain punchy tone that turns to total glassy clean with volume rolled back. I was able to get that with my previous AX8.
search for the Markday presets on the AE.

There is no preset called "Friedman HBE V1 (2)"
Factory preset 023 contains the Friedman models. All of them use Factory IRs.

My guess is that the preset you are referring to is located above #383, and therefore would not have been overwritten by the factory banks. You or someone else probably downloaded it and installed it.

HBE V1 top, BE V1 bottom

You're missing a shunt between your second amp (BE V1) and cab.

HBE V1 top, BE V1 bottom
You’re not even hearing the bottom amp in that preset as it is pictured.

The Friedman profiles on the Axe III are what made me sell my Friedman amps. They are nothing short of amazing!

There is no preset called "Friedman HBE V1 (2)"
Factory preset 023 contains the Friedman models. All of them use Factory IRs.

My guess is that the preset you are referring to is located above #383, and therefore would not have been overwritten by the factory banks. You or someone else probably downloaded it and installed it.

It seems you're absolutely correct. After re-downloading the Bank-A file and sending it over with Fractal Bot I have what appears to be the factory preset. I guess I somehow unintentionally overwrote the original while browsing patches in the Axe-Change tool. Sorry for the confusion and thanks for the response!

Last edited:
It seems you're absolutely correct. After re-downloading the Bank-A file and sending it over with Fractal Bot I have what appears to be the factory preset. I guess I somehow unintentionally overwrote the original while browsing patches in the Axe-Change tool. Sorry for the confusion and thanks for the response!
that is why i never use Fractal bot,i prefer to use Fractool to save banks as single presets.

The Friedman profiles on the Axe III are what made me sell my Friedman amps. They are nothing short of amazing!
It is funny that it works both ways.....Axe Fx III Friedman amps are so good I want to buy a real Friedman. I will too...in near future! Dave allowing Cliff to use real name was really Dave thinking smart. Free advertising! IMHO Nothing beats a real amp for that 100% instant bliss of one singular tone. If that is your sound then have at the real deal. What the Axe Fx II does is allow you to get 97% there all while having the versatility to use different amps and the ease of effects and routing. It is so ridiculously close now it's scary though! The ability to command control in detailed controls that a real tube amp would ever feature is beyond crazy cool. Fucking simple....Axe Fx III is like owning Sweetwater, Some Electro Harmonix pedals like the C9/B9 and the such are probably the main things it may not do.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom