The Amundsen lick - do you even Amundsen? (post a video :D )

Cobrango

Power User
hellooooooo people of the fractal forum :D I've made a lick called "The Amundsen" and now I want to see and hear it from all of you. BUT! only if you like it and think this sounds like a fun thing to do. let's all play The Amundsen lick and have some fun :D lol. post a video below of you playing The Amundsen lick. do you even Amundsen? let's find out! :D (if you don't like it, move on and don't like it :p I'm gonna keep on Amundsening anyways.)

E------------------------------------19-15------------------------------------------14-15-14------------
B--------------------------17--------------17------------------------------------17----------17---------
G--------16-17-16-----------16---------------16-----------16-17-16----------16----------------16------
D--14-17-----------17-14-----17-14-------------17--14-17----------17-14-17----------------------17-14
A--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
B--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E-----drop-E 8-string rga8/rg2228 d'addario 0.08s+0.60+0.80 dunlop tortex T3 0.60mm----------------------

Last edited:
E------------------------------------19-15------------------------------------------14-15-14-----------
B--------------------------17--------------17------------------------------------17----------17---------
G--------16-17-16-----------16---------------16-----------16-17-16----------16----------------16------
D--14-17-----------17-14-----17-14-------------17--14-17----------17-14-17----------------------17-14
A--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
B--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E-----drop-E 8-string rga8/rg2228 d'addario 0.08s+0.60+0.80 dunlop tortex T3 0.60mm----------------------

Sounds really cool, However I am stupid and can't understand your tab. It looks like a bunch of notes are played at the same time. Perhaps if the tab was written out in time then I could follow it. I also can't tell what your fingers are doing from that angle either. I like the lick though. :)

Sounds really cool, However I am stupid and can't understand your tab. It looks like a bunch of notes are played at the same time. Perhaps if the tab was written out in time then I could follow it. I also can't tell what your fingers are doing from that angle either. I like the lick though. :)

It looked that way on my iphone, on my PC I can read it clearly. It because whatever screen your using is resizing and the text is wrapping to the next line.

yeah on pc it should look ok. it's all picked yes :)

Ah, that's it. My screen was resizing. Makes sense now. Really great lick, thanks for sharing. If I ever get it down, I'll post it back up at about 1/8 the speed you play it so you can hear what it sounds like in slow motion because I'm sure you've never heard your lick that slow before ;/

hehe, I tend to practice fast stuff because I'm all about technique, ergonomics, endurance, I don't know what to call it. I'm a huge Shawn Lane fan and muscle memory takes time. I've just developed a new technique from playing this lick. it's how I get the 4-string string-skip down - by thinking violin. on a violin there's a massive radius on the strings compared to an electric guitar, so I figured maybe it's easier to jump between strings if I move my hand in an arch instead of just lifing my hand up, move up four strings and down, the idea struck me from watching Troy Gradys "cracking the code" where he's talking about the X (up and down) and Y (in and out / left and right) and by 45¤ pick slanting towards the floor you're combining the two. I also anchor my hand slightly on the high E string, that way I have a better reference to where the strings are. jumping from the D-string to the high E-string is easy that way :) maybe I'll make a "lesson" on it. I love guitar technique. it's my passion. I've written a bachelor task about Shawn Lane and guitar technique. I'm attending musicology at the University of Oslo but I only make my own stuff. give me an acoustic guitar at a campfire and everyone will laugh at me :p "hey! play stairway to heaven man!" - I can't :p I never learn songs, I improvise and make my own material, hehe :) anyway, think of the bow on a violin for string-skipping. if you move the pick or hand in a curved motion it's way easier to jump over the other strings and not get caught in them.

check out his stuff at http://troygrady.com/ it's some of the best guitar technique oriented stuff I've ever seen. this guy is a game changer.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom