To add to the "realizations" in this thread, even taking your own regular amp to the gig (I know these were just jam sessions), if the sound guy mics it up poorly and then mixes and EQs it horribly, you're STILL in the same boat haha! Except most of the time you wouldn't know because you're just enjoying the world of your Amp and its sound.

Because I send the Axe/AX8 signal to both my personal speaker and the FOH, I know what it should sound like out there and can more easily know and adjust because I can actually turn down/off my personal speaker and still generate the tone for FOH.

Much preferred over a regular amp. But yes, bring your own speaker so you can recreate your entire tone every time.

A quick fix might jut be to mic up your FRFR monitor! Then the sound guy can deal with it using familiar ways. I'm still working up the nerve to gig with mine. Im not off my Splawn yet.
"Then the sound guy"- HAHAHAHA- it's a blues jam- in 17 years of attending jams in my area (I'm in Denver- we have a VERY active blues jam scene- can play out every night of the week except Friday's at a local jam somewhere here) we've had a "sound guy" exactly twice. One jam here had an actual sound guy that would mic speakers up and mix everything from a very pro level stage- I loved that jam (Toad Tavern) but it was poorly attended and kind of out-of-the-way so it's last run was this week... sadly.

Title got me too....

AND - the support here on this forum is second to none. I don't know if you realize this , but the main developer of this amazing unit answered you personally twice in a single thread. Good luck finding that anywhere.
Enjoy !
- I saw that, but didn't know it was a developer of the AX8. I was very impressed actually. Felt pretty special ;-) But honestly, at this point this is the friendliest- most supportive forum I've ever been on- you ALL are giving me good ideas and not a single douche-level answer. I'm on a LOT of forums and this is by far the most helpful- responsive and supportive group yet. I won't call any other forums out- but if you're a gear head- you can really get flamed on a forum- opinions run DEEP and there are a lot of brave haters out there! So thanks everyone for the positive responses and encouragement- it's amazing!

My Ev Powered monitor always comes with me, even if it's not needed.

Ev's huh- I'll put them on my list to try out- but EV speakers are pretty famous for their tone and weight!

To add to the "realizations" in this thread, even taking your own regular amp to the gig (I know these were just jam sessions), if the sound guy mics it up poorly and then mixes and EQs it horribly, you're STILL in the same boat haha! Except most of the time you wouldn't know because you're just enjoying the world of your Amp and its sound.

Because I send the Axe/AX8 signal to both my personal speaker and the FOH, I know what it should sound like out there and can more easily know and adjust because I can actually turn down/off my personal speaker and still generate the tone for FOH.

Much preferred over a regular amp. But yes, bring your own speaker so you can recreate your entire tone every time.
- Again, "sound guy" doesn't really apply- but that's a big part of the problem in my case- I'm at the mercy of a crappy PA system in any given venue- so I'm really liking the idea of just bringing my own powered speaker just like I'd bring a cabinet for my head and believe me- I have a Friedman and a Peavey that both can go direct with no cabinet load and thought about bringing each of those from time to time- now I think I won't- for the same reason. I'd hate to make a Friedman sound like crap after how much it cost!

Again- super impressed with this community- thanks everyone! I'll keep this thread updated as to what I try out and ultimately go with speaker-wise just for fun.

Something that I don't think has been mentioned yet that can be helpful in situations like this is the AX8's global EQ. Go to SETUP > GLOBAL and page over until you get to it. You probably won't have time to get it perfect at a blues jam but at least it let's you make some quick fixes.

I would never bring a direct solution to a blues jam. Too many unknowns.

I've got no problem running a direct solution at a blues jam as long as it's my FRFR speaker. But I'd never run direct into the weak little PAs that most open mic/blues jams have. It's usually some sort of antiquated 6-channel powered PA head and a pair of past their prime passive speakers and one has a blown horn. Using the AX8 as a pedalboard works great so that's a darn good option. I also have a Pedaltrain Mini loaded with what I need to play into just about any reasonable quality tube amp.

Another cool option is the Tech 21 Power Engine. It's not really FRFR but I know that the Axe-FX sounds pretty darn good into it - more than enough for a jam. Before the AX8 came out, I did a bunch of blues gigs with the FX8 and Amplifire via 4CM into my Power Engine. It sounded great.

I'd love for someone to make a truly compact and lightweight FRFR speaker for this sort of thing as well as rehearsals - I have to schlepp my gear way further than I'd like at the rehearsal studio we use so something small and light would be sweet. I could stand to get in shape too, but still...

I have a loud little open-back 1x12 cab that I bring to something like that. In fact, I find I can still plug in to the PA for a bit of soundstage, but it's quiet compared to the amp.

In the beginning there was perfect sound then man created rooms....
And all kinda things that super imposed eq curves.... Before actual eq...different shit, well sounds different.

I've got no problem running a direct solution at a blues jam as long as it's my FRFR speaker. But I'd never run direct into the weak little PAs that most open mic/blues jams have. It's usually some sort of antiquated 6-channel powered PA head and a pair of past their prime passive speakers and one has a blown horn. Using the AX8 as a pedalboard works great so that's a darn good option. I also have a Pedaltrain Mini loaded with what I need to play into just about any reasonable quality tube amp.

Another cool option is the Tech 21 Power Engine. It's not really FRFR but I know that the Axe-FX sounds pretty darn good into it - more than enough for a jam. Before the AX8 came out, I did a bunch of blues gigs with the FX8 and Amplifire via 4CM into my Power Engine. It sounded great.

I'd love for someone to make a truly compact and lightweight FRFR speaker for this sort of thing as well as rehearsals - I have to schlepp my gear way further than I'd like at the rehearsal studio we use so something small and light would be sweet. I could stand to get in shape too, but still...
- I'm liking the Tech 21 Power Engine idea for small- quick gigs. I love Tech 21 gear (I own a Trademark 60- GREAT little amp) and asked on another thread about the PE- some guys even turned it into more of a FRFR with the addition of a tweeter to it- they're cheap enough to just give it a try! Looking for one now while I await my Xitone powered cab to come in (5-6 weeks?!?!)

I have a loud little open-back 1x12 cab that I bring to something like that. In fact, I find I can still plug in to the PA for a bit of soundstage, but it's quiet compared to the amp.
- What are you using to power that? More details please on the 1x12 cabinet. Are you going into a dedicated power amp on a small gig?

Back
Top Bottom