Thank you FAS/ Cliff, Recto1 is awesome as it was supposed to be!

The 2 channel one has less of that loose low end going on an more tight middle content. In a mix... it's so much better than the new Rectos.

Am I narrow minded to raise my eyebrows at two channel Rectos at church. That makes me feel like the new Eddie Murphy music video:

I used a two and three channel recto at church for years. I am using my slawn nitro patch next Sunday

I too am happy about the new (older) Recto in this new fw update. I have finally been able to get a Recto tone that I like!

I wonder what's happening under the hood that makes them so different other than adding an extra channel?

I have long heard that Mesa/Boogies were drastically different from one run of amps to the next in the same model (like early Marshalls). The best Recto I have ever heard was when I saw John Petrucci at a guitar clinic in 1995. He was playing through a '94 Tremoverb Head. The tone was so damn heavy but clear. Thick and chewy yet a good bite and cut. The Rectos that I was able to play when a music store the next year in my area started carrying Mesa did not compare (though they are supposedly essentially the same amp with out reverb and tremolo). Of course my playing is no where near the quality of JP, but its important to note that though when I heard him play at the clinic the chops were his but the tone wasn't. It was quite different.

I was able to talk to him afterwards I asked him about the rig and he told me he never really played much through Rectos at the time, he was still very into the Triaxis rig but he wasn't traveling with his gear and the Tremoverb was the only thing that the music store could get on loan back then no music store with in 100 miles carried Mesa.

+1...Thank you for the recto1. I already switched my patch from recto 3channel red channel to the 2 channel!

How do you guys like to dial this new one in and what cabs do you like with it? The old recto was always a favorite of mine on a lot of recordings :)

I'd say the 4x12 Recto (RW), or 4x12 Recto (OH), or 4x12 Cali Mix, or 4x12 Petrucci (Mix)....

The 2 channel one has less of that loose low end going on an more tight middle content. In a mix... it's so much better than the new Rectos.

Am I narrow minded to raise my eyebrows at two channel Rectos at church. That makes me feel like the new Eddie Murphy music video:

i actually know quite a few guys who like them in chuch....they say they're great pedal platforms. not my thing but it's not totally uncommon. i mean, most of the time it's ac30 and the million variants, but people do use them....

I'd say the 4x12 Recto (RW), or 4x12 Recto (OH), or 4x12 Cali Mix, or 4x12 Petrucci (Mix)....

I never liked the stock 4x12 Petrucci cab at first, but it is starting to grow on me. I've been pairing it with the Mark IIC+ lately with great results for some warmer solo patches. Haven't tried with the updated Rectos yet though. Maybe tonight.

Could someone just offer me a bit of clarification: The 2-channel recto is labeled Recto 1 in the Axe FX, and the 3-channel Recto is labeled Recto 2 in the Axe FX?

Thanks

I've never had the chance to play through a Tremoverb but talking to people who are big Recto fans(and owners) they have said that the Tremoverb is voiced a little differently than the usual Recto. More mids to it and less grind, supposedly a better all around type of amp , but not as nasty as a regular 2 channel that was out at the time.
I'd love to try one :)

I have long heard that Mesa/Boogies were drastically different from one run of amps to the next in the same model (like early Marshalls). The best Recto I have ever heard was when I saw John Petrucci at a guitar clinic in 1995. He was playing through a '94 Tremoverb Head. The tone was so damn heavy but clear. Thick and chewy yet a good bite and cut. The Rectos that I was able to play when a music store the next year in my area started carrying Mesa did not compare (though they are supposedly essentially the same amp with out reverb and tremolo). Of course my playing is no where near the quality of JP, but its important to note that though when I heard him play at the clinic the chops were his but the tone wasn't. It was quite different.

I was able to talk to him afterwards I asked him about the rig and he told me he never really played much through Rectos at the time, he was still very into the Triaxis rig but he wasn't traveling with his gear and the Tremoverb was the only thing that the music store could get on loan back then no music store with in 100 miles carried Mesa.

Reading this makes me think that I've been playing through the wrong kind of rectos. They've all been later models and I was astoundingly unimpressed, not because the amp was 'bad', but more that I didn't like the tone. I must try out the new rectos when I get my Axe back.

You should look up The Cool Church. America, dude, it's kah-razy. By the way, there's a recto looks like in that vid, off Eddie's left.

Back
Top Bottom