Tex-mex paired with Texas Special pickup pairing

waylander69

Inspired
Hi

Just loaded a tex-mex in the middle position and a texas special in my PRS EG SE ( it also has a SSL 5 in the bridge )

Position 1 sounds good , good volume
Position 2 sounds good , what I had hoped for a Floyd type sound as per Gilmourish good volume
Position 3 sound good , could easily use it for blues tones nice full sound good volume
Position 4 very thin and tinny poor volume
Position 5 sound good , could easily use it for blues tones nice full sound good volume

So I have a problem with position 4 , not usable , very weak and thin and low volume ,
If I raise the pickups on middle position 3 & 4 gets loader and improves the sound on position 4
but then the volume on Position 1 , 3 & 5 would be majorly different.
Likewise is I raise pickup on neck the volumes increase an pos 4 tone can improve and the volume improves
but then the volume on Position 1 , 3 & 5 would be majorly different.

is there a known problem with pairing a tex-mex and texas special ?
is this volume difference normal with single coils and there switch positions ?
do I need to find a second pup either of tex-mex or texas special and have matching pairs ?

any help would be much appreciated as I know very little about strats and there pup wiring whims

cheers
G \../

The two pickups in position 4 are out of phase. Swap the wires around on the position 5 pickup because the position 2 combination is in phase. You have probably mixed up some reverse wrap reverse polarity pickups . Tex Mex and Texas Special sets are calibrated and both have RW RP middle pickups.

I think I have ended up with 2 neck pickups when I think about it the tex-mex was supposed to be a middle but he had mis advertised and I had a choice of neck or bridge t/m .
On a work trip now so I'll have to have a good play when I get home and see if it sounds good ,
It sounded alright last night so well see if I get the itch again 🙃
Cheers
G \../

Back
Top Bottom